• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Toulon obviously desperate for locks. Not in a Arnold is a poor choice sort of way, but all 3 Scotland locks have been heavily pursued as well (Toulouse outbid them for Richie, Jonny signed a long term deal with Glasgow and Gilchrist wanted to repay the faith the SRU and Edinburgh have shown in him.).

As good as players like Gorgodze and Manoa are, they're not what you want as a staring lock pair.

Well, the fact is neither of their best positions is lock.

The Scottish boys can play in France without repercussion, it'd be a different matter to see Arnold move on. Realistically, he'd do well to try to get to the right number of caps by the WC, then move overseas and make bank while playing for the Wallabies if they still want him.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If either of these two go it'd be a crying shame for Australian rugby. Cheika's starting to put together a very promising team, player by player, obviously with RWC2019 in mind. Both Arnold and Kuridrani are going to integral parts of the Wallabies teams in the immediate future. We have some depth in their respective positions but these two blokes both have the potential to be something special.

Shame they're both Brumbies. :rolleyes:

T

TOCC

Cheika needs to identify a core group of players who he foresees as been the backbone of the team for the next 3-4 years and make these the priority retention targets for the ARU, like the NZRU have been doing for the last 10 years.

Build a team around the core players and use these players as they ones to provide the continuity and experience as other players come and go.

ARU can't afford to retain every talented player in the Australia, thats the harsh reality of the game today given the financials of Australian Rugby and the growing salary caps of European clubs, so the hard decisions need to be made and they need to back themselves to ensure that the right players are been prioritised and retained.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Cheika needs to identify a core group of players who he foresees as been the backbone of the team for the next 3-4 years and make these the priority retention targets for the ARU, like the NZRU have been doing for the last 10 years.

Build a team around the core players and use these players as they ones to provide the continuity and experience as other players come and go.

ARU can't afford to retain every talented player in the Australia, thats the harsh reality of the game today given the financials of Australian Rugby and the growing salary caps of European clubs, so the hard decisions need to be made and they need to back themselves to ensure that the right players are been prioritised and retained.

TOCC - your best post ever:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kurtley Beale is set to make his return from injury and debut for Wasps in the Champions Cup at midnight on Sunday night against Connacht.

It's on beIN Sports 3.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The best outcome for a large, injury prone man is not to skip preseason.

He needs recovery and conditioning (even if he does currently look reasonably fit). The wear and tear on his body will be a mess.

Good luck big Will. Hope you get a good feed.

How the stint will be seen is the form he shows in Super rugby.

Personally, I think big bodies need some time off.

We shall see.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good luck big Will. Hope you get a good feed.

How the stint will be seen is the form he shows in Super rugby.

Personally, I think big bodies need some time off.

We shall see.

Ask Mitch Inman how his 2016 Super season went after being a medical joker in France in 2015.

You'll notice his form was down and that he had to miss the NRC - I'll add he's also nowhere near as big.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
For someone who doesn't seem to offer a lot in the scrums spending some time in the NH might benefit that part of his game as it is a focus for them, and the generally slower pace might allow him to show off his more flashy skills. I'm of the view that despite his size he doesn't offer a lot.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
For someone who doesn't seem to offer a lot in the scrums spending some time in the NH might benefit that part of his game as it is a focus for them, and the generally slower pace might allow him to show off his more flashy skills. I'm of the view that despite his size he doesn't offer a lot.

I think his scrum issues are more to do with a lack of flexibility, pretty typical is big humans.

Have you ever seen your naturally biggest mate try to squat? His form would likely be pretty ugly.

Will is probably way bigger than your biggest mate, and good scrum shape requires more mobility than a squat.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
I think his scrum issues are more to do with a lack of flexibility, pretty typical is big humans.

Have you ever seen your naturally biggest mate try to squat? His form would likely be pretty ugly.

Will is probably way bigger than your biggest mate, and good scrum shape requires more mobility than a squat.

I take your point, but we are talking about a professional player here, not some big guy you have just recruited to play because of his size. I'm thinking the power that he should have isn't particularly evident in the scrum, but maybe his lack of flexibility reduces his ability to drive - I would have expected coaching to have sorted that out.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I take your point, but we are talking about a professional player here, not some big guy you have just recruited to play because of his size. I'm thinking the power that he should have isn't particularly evident in the scrum, but maybe his lack of flexibility reduces his ability to drive - I would have expected coaching to have sorted that out.
Agreed, on all accounts. I actually think he's not an awful scrummager, but just not a Wallaby.

It's not coaching really, it's a flexibility issue and a man that big can only get so flexible.

T

TOCC

Perhaps its flexibility, but It could also be argued that Skeltsons longer limbs and physiological composition which is weighted more to strength rather then power could also play a factor in his ability to generate force at the scrum.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Skelton is 203cm and 130kg and on those stats alone he should be having a major impact on a game but.........keep in mind he is only 24 years old. As a forward he's got a lot more years until he peaks. He'll get there soon enough and I'm confident he'll be an asset to the Wallabies line up.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Skelton is 203cm and 130kg and on those stats alone he should be having a major impact on a game but...keep in mind he is only 24 years old. As a forward he's got a lot more years until he peaks. He'll get there soon enough and I'm confident he'll be an asset to the Wallabies line up.

Don't know about "peaking" but he's still got plenty of room to improve.

Probably the biggest benefit to him continuing playing in our off season is that he won't blow out to 150 kegs during the downtime.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
How is he 130? Is that the maximum on the scales?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Perhaps its flexibility, but It could also be argued that Skelton's longer limbs and physiological composition which is weighted more to strength rather then power could also play a factor in his ability to generate force at the scrum.

IMO, generally high-level scrums seems to be who loses their shape first and loses that muscle tension, but there's also the wrestling elements of angles and binds.

So, I would say a scrum would be more strength than power, as it's time under tension and not really an explosive movement.

Power and strength are pretty closely linked though, so I don't think the issue is there. To me it just looks like his scrum shape is off, but it's all an opinion.