• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Perhaps its flexibility, but It could also be argued that Skeltsons longer limbs and physiological composition which is weighted more to strength rather then power could also play a factor in his ability to generate force at the scrum.
I reckon we're all just overthinking this.

His technique is just poor, he always packs too high on his prop and it means he's not transferring his force effectively.

The last 10 minutes of the France game gives a very good overhead view and the contrast between where Simmons has his shoulder, and where Skelton does is stark.

He's got it wrong right from his bind, even before any weight comes through.

Hes always done that too, so God knows why coaching hasn't helped so far. Maybe Sarcens can make a change.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
KB (Kurtley Beale) had a very solid return for Wasps in the European championship. He looked fit, fast and in good touch which is a remarkable effort given the nature of the injury that he had...and that it was only 7 months ago!

For context, Jaeger O'Meara in the AFL and Victor Cruz in the NFL suffered the same injury and both took 12-18 months to return and in O'Meara's case haven't been the same since

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The short version:

http://www.theroar.tv/beale-stars-in-wasps-debut/

The long version:

Good highlights package here - looks to be quite physical in both defense and attack. Bumped a guy for the try and bumped a guy in his first run shown after that.

When combined with KBs defense at the RWC this could be a bit of a late career revelation. He'll never be Nonu but hopefully a more mature mindset has caused him to man up in defense a bit more.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe KB (Kurtley Beale) has finally started to understand that he is in the last stages of his rugby career, and it is time to go a bit harder in attack and défense.

His problem might have been that it all came too easy to him, what was he, 14? when he played 1st XV at SJS? Invited to the big table in his final year of school, straight into the Tahs, and so on. So much talent, everything was so easy for him. But in reality he was skimming the surface, relying on the huge natural talent that he was born with.

That talent was never going to be enough to make him a great of the game. It needed to be supported by a lot of will to win, willingness to suffer for his team, and particularly, the acceptance that there is always something new to learn, and a lot of that learning is about the basics of the game, the grunt stuff.

Here's hoping he has finally come of age.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Good highlights package here
Based on those highlights, that backline is so static. They are actually standing still and catch passing along the line, it's horrible. If WASPs 10 ran at the line and the back line we're in motion KB (Kurtley Beale) and the backline would have destroyed the Irish.
Based on what we've seen him do, he wasn't outstanding. But hard to be when thebackline plays like that.
How can you be MOTM when you're yellow carded?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Toulouse have announced the signing of fly-half Zack Holmes, who will join them from La Rochelle ahead of the 2017/18 Top 14 season.
The 26-year-old former Western Force back, who joined La Rochelle in 2005, has shone for the Stade Marcel-Deflandre outfit this campaign.
Holmes scored 254 points in his first season in France, with the Australian's versatility one of the attractions that led Toulouse to sign him.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Based on what we've seen him do, he wasn't outstanding. But hard to be when thebackline plays like that.
How can you be MOTM when you're yellow carded?

Maybe the BS yellow decision wasn't counted against him? Innocuous is mild IMO. First contact was with the shoulder before it slipped up. Penalty sure, but nothing more.

I actually thought his defence was hit and miss in that match. Sure he forced a few knock ons screaming out of the line but he wasn't connecting on his shots. He didn't take anyone to ground bar one tackle

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Good on him.

I'm annoyed we couldn't keep him, but clearly he didn't have a burning desire to be a Wallaby. Otherwise he wouldn't have left just as he was starting to come into consideration.

Ultimately I think we're in a better place with Coleman and Arnold anyway. Pyle always lacked the hard edge that those blokes have.

I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat though. Especially if he signed with the Tahs.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Reckon his leaving had a lot more to do with TT dropping him to the bench for Jones and Neville than not being in contention for Wallaby duty (Now all three are gone from the Rebels. Yay!)

He's been a lot better in France from the physicallity aspect as well.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reckon his leaving had a lot more to do with TT dropping him to the bench for Jones and Neville than not being in contention for Wallaby duty (Now all three are gone from the Rebels. Yay!)

He's been a lot better in France from the physicallity aspect as well.
I always thought he got dropped because he was leaving, but I'm sure you'd know better on Rebels issues than I would.