• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It all starts with dreams. Only 2 weeks ago everyone was laughing at TF even getting his comp off the ground. Now even the Traditionalists are seeing it as the future when Super dies in 2020. Wessel's is only a young bloke but if his mentor, Jake White, had of got the job instead of Ewen we would be far ahead of where we are now. IMO Wessel's is very like Jake.

I'm not sure what the likes of Guenon, Evola or Schuon would make of this......... But I think many of us are interested in taking Twiggy's money.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm not sure what the likes of Guenon, Evola or Schuon would make of this... But I think many of us are interested in taking Twiggy's money.

Yes you would. The price is power though. I was wondering wondering which way you would choose to criticise my view without criticising Jake. It took you a while.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It all starts with dreams. Only 2 weeks ago everyone was laughing at TF even getting his comp off the ground. Now even the Traditionalists are seeing it as the future when Super dies in 2020. Wessel's is only a young bloke but if his mentor, Jake White, had of got the job instead of Ewen we would be far ahead of where we are now. IMO Wessel's is very like Jake.

I don't doubt that - you blokes have been on board with Wessels from the start and I take your advice on the guy.

You're dreaming about TF having a say in the national coach, even after the next two years of super rugby and Twiggyball have concluded.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You may be right but I think you underestimate the level of bitterness about the process or lack of. Also going to Munster will only raise his profile. He is already in the best Lock's in the world and he has leadership qualities. What's wrong with a nice 2yr holiday in Europe on more than he will earn here. The same for Wessel's, and if he wants to one day coach Aus he would be better off having TF onside rather than the ARU. I think he would also find it very hard going to the Rebs after what has happened.

Shit happens, but I doubt that TF will be anywhere near Aus Rugby in 2 years

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
You may be right but I think you underestimate the level of bitterness about the process or lack of. Also going to Munster will only raise his profile. He is already in the best Lock's in the world and he has leadership qualities. What's wrong with a nice 2yr holiday in Europe on more than he will earn here. The same for Wessel's, and if he wants to one day coach Aus he would be better off having TF onside rather than the ARU. I think he would also find it very hard going to the Rebs after what has happened.

Really, joining Munster would raise his profile?

Above playing for the Wallabies in internationals?

Munster could really do with a decent lock. Between their 4 current locks they have 1 international cap ...

Not saying that he won't go but it wouldn't be to raise his profile.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Really, joining Munster would raise his profile?

Above playing for the Wallabies in internationals?

Munster could really do with a decent lock. Between their 4 current locks they have 1 international cap .

Not saying that he won't go but it wouldn't be to raise his profile.

No he would not go specifically to raise his profile. He is simply pissed off with the ARU to even be considering it. If he did go, people not even involved with rugby both here and in Europe would now know who he was.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No he would not go specifically to raise his profile. He is simply pissed off with the ARU to even be considering it. If he did go, people not even involved with rugby both here and in Europe would now know who he was.

I think he would be more professional than that........ it wouldn't be the best move career wise.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why?
Edit: he has made it clear it is a long term plan.

He'll get over having the game bleed him. He's not some Qatari Sheik pouring billions into a European soccer team. This is the 4th string sport in a small nation.

gordy1

Frank Row (1)
Fuck that off. We NEED Coleman. He's our best tight forward, comfortably.

I agree that Coleman is needed. But if I was in his position, I would be completely pissed off with the entire ARU board (along with the rest of the Force players), would seriously look at going to Munster for a change of scene, and would take a punt that Cheika will get the rules changed again for Wallaby selection eligibility....

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
He'll get over having the game bleed him. He's not some Qatari Sheik pouring billions into a European soccer team. This is the 4th string sport in a small nation.

Yeah but it is still relatively cheap for him, especially if it starts paying its own way to some degree. He won't stop until The Force or its equivalent is ensconced in Aust's premier rugby competition whatever that may end up being.

L

Leo86

From memory coleman was already receiving big offers from overseas but opted to stay with the Force. The ARU removed his preference. I spose the best way forward is for him to play overseas and then get the ARU to pay big bucks to return.

Wonder how anyone would think leaving Aus will garuntee them more money?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah but it is still relatively cheap for him, especially if it starts paying its own way to some degree. He won't stop until The Force or its equivalent is ensconced in Aust's premier rugby competition whatever that may end up being.

Edit: btw he doesn't just give money, when dealing with the ARU it is always a trade for power. The balance of trade will be slow initially but it will speed up in later deals as the the ARU's power to negotiate is decreased. There will be only one outcome in this type of financial scenario.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why?
Edit: he has made it clear it is a long term plan.

My bullshit meter is strong with white knights, we will see and I hope I am wrong, but I just don't think an "indo-pacific" model will be financially viable as a private business.

For context, I don't see the NRC as a ever being financially viable either. Just like the sheffield shield in cricket, it is there as a development pathway for the Super Rugby (which can hopefully breakeven at best) and the Wobs (the only thing that makes money)

Reactions: Tex

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
From kiap on another thread. Looks like locks are well valued up north.
ntFos9u.jpg

L

Leo86

My bullshit meter is strong with white knights, we will see and I hope I am wrong, but I just don't think an "indo-pacific" model will be financially viable as a private business.

Asia isnt the market? So why then the Sunwolves over any Aussie team?
For context, I don't see the NRC as a ever being financially viable either. Just like the sheffield shield in cricket, it is there as a development pathway for the Super Rugby (which can hopefully breakeven at best) and the Wobs (the only thing that makes money)

Wobs the only thing making money? Maybe the Wobs were the only thing making money but as we currently see is goin backwards. Teams aside people, the management is killing rugby big time.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Given the relatively chummy nature between Twiggy and Clyne recently, I wouldn't be surprised that it already has been arranged and I'd expect the Force back in Super Rugby by 2020 or in whatever the replacement competition is.

The whole of the ARU's annual revenue is chump change for Twiggy.

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
To'omua got MotM for Tigers v Quins.

The guy is a beast he smashes everyone in the tackle and made a lovely long pass to May for our 2nd try,

Becoming quickly a fan favourite.