• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No one is suggesting there weren't a litany of massive mistakes that led up to this point in time. It's just a little pointless citing Taf having to go overseas as being a reason why this is a fuck up. It's a repercussion of the decision made, but there was never the premise that the cut was done entirely to weed out the weaker players. It was certainly a factor that they thought it would make the other four teams stronger.
Man do you work in PR? You ought to. Taf having to go overseas is a fuck up. Why point it out? Makes me feel better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TSR

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I predict that that he will learn and improve during his NH stint, and return in time for the 2019 RWC and lead us to victory.

He should never have been squeezed out by the dopey Waratahs in the first place.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I predict that that he will learn and improve during his NH stint, and return in time for the 2019 RWC and lead us to victory.

He should never have been squeezed out by the dopey Waratahs in the first place.
He wasn't squeezed out by the Tahs. He wanted to go overseas, I assume, because Moore had signed on to the next world cup, he was Giteau claused and didn't want to sit on the bench. After he signed in Britain he was injured and the Tahs already signed his replacement so he went to the Force for 1 season. So many extenuating circumstances around this. Important thing is he signed overseas while we still had 5 teams.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Tigs Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
To'omua signs a new deal at tigers that will take him till the end of the 2020 season.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/To'omua-to-be-a-tiger-until-2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A bit disappointing that To'omua hasn't decided to come home and have a crack at the 2019 RWC.

It's a tough position for him though. He'd have to take a significant pay cut to return and he is probably slightly less likely to make the first choice matchday 23 than he was when he left.

You can certainly understand why he's decided to make hay while the sun shines rather than pushing to go to a second RWC.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
supposedly:
<p>
'It has also emerged in recent days that every Super Rugby club offered Polota-Nau a deal to stay in Australia, contradicting comments he made in Japan ahead of the Wallabies game there. '</p>
<p>I suppose i should eat a bit of humble pie. seems he made a decision to leave Australia again independent of existing offers.</p>

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Taf is certainly not a fool and I think the fiasco that's happened this year has left a pretty sour taste in his mouth. Noy only that but with the giteau clause as well there really wasn't any pressure to stay I'd imagine. It's quite noticeable too that the last 2 players to play o/s (Genia, Kurtley) have come reading the game far better.

T

TOCC

supposedly:
<p>
'It has also emerged in recent days that every Super Rugby club offered Polota-Nau a deal to stay in Australia, contradicting comments he made in Japan ahead of the Wallabies game there. '</p>
<p>I suppose i should eat a bit of humble pie. seems he made a decision to leave Australia again independent of existing offers.</p>

Not sure I believe that, Reds couldn't offer prodigal son, Will Genia a contract because they already had 3 halfbacks signed, I don't see how they could have offered TPN a contract given they already have 3 hookers signed.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure I believe that, Reds couldn't offer prodigal son, Will Genia a contract because they already had 3 halfbacks signed, I don't see how they could have offered TPN a contract given they already have 3 hookers signed.
Reds don’t have money to sign any development players never mind Genia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, the question is how did the Reds allegedly have the funds to offer TPN a contract? I suspect the same question could be asked of the Tahs and Brumbies as well.

T

TOCC

Is it perhaps a case that the contracts offered were so far off the mark it was never likely he would accept it?

I don't think any team was in a position to offer him a high value contract and that is a major reason why he signed with Leicester.

As a Wallaby on a top-up Teams have to pay half of what the ARU value him at, if it is as you suggest that teams tried to low ball him then that would indicate the Cheika didn’t want him and he ARU didn’t offer him a contract

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
How bad is the financial situation?

Inside Reds circles a number of players are looking elsewhere post 2018 season including Andrew Ready. Maybe Reds management did make a play for TPN with Moore gone and Mafi the only one left if Ready does move on.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Is it perhaps a case that the contracts offered were so far off the mark it was never likely he would accept it?

I don't think any team was in a position to offer him a high value contract and that is a major reason why he signed with Leicester.
"There's been lots of chats about relocating Super Rugby franchises but to be honest I haven't had any offers"
TPN

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Taf tried to go overseas and couldn't due to medical reasons. Then, at the next opportunity to go overseas, he did. Is it that ridiculous to say he wanted to go?

He is no more loyal to the Force than the Tahs, who he chose to leave himself, and then they couldn't take him back due to salary cap room.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Taf tried to go overseas and couldn't due to medical reasons. Then, at the next opportunity to go overseas, he did. Is it that ridiculous to say he wanted to go?

He is no more loyal to the Force than the Tahs, who he chose to leave himself, and then they couldn't take him back due to salary cap room.

I don't think anyone is suggesting he should have stayed if he didn't want to. I'd go, pay off the mortgage etc before i retired. It was more a case of people thinking he wanted to stay but couldn't.