• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Inside Reds circles a number of players are looking elsewhere post 2018 season including Andrew Ready. Maybe Reds management did make a play for TPN with Moore gone and Mafi the only one left if Ready does move on.

Ready going elsewhere just stinks of spitting the dummy. A shame.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
All that can be commented on is what TPN has said publicly, there seems to be few conclusions being drawn from inklings on here.

Yes, it's a forum and ideas are being discussed, but I am not sure if many (if any) can comment with authority on what has taken place over the last few years.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is it perhaps a case that the contracts offered were so far off the mark it was never likely he would accept it?

I don't think any team was in a position to offer him a high value contract and that is a major reason why he signed with Leicester.

I really can't see any of the Franchises embarrassing themselves and dishonouring a Wallaby of TPN's standing by making a token offering. Seems like BS to me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
FP, nowhere have I commented on the amount of the contract TPN might be on in the UK. The issue is that someone (the ARU I think) suggested all four Aus franchises had made offers to TPN and he rejected them to go o/s. I think the evidence is that none would have had a spare hooker spot on the roster and that some, or all, wouldn't have salary cap available to entice him into a contract. It again looks like smoke and mirrors when in reality there is no opportunity for TPN here at all.

T

TOCC

I disagreed that all the Super Rugby provinces low balled him on an offer..Super Rugby clubs pay half the wages of Wallabies on top-ups, there’s no room to negotiate. So if the clubs had lowballed him, it’s because the ARU and Cheika valued him low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I disagreed that all the Super Rugby provinces low balled him on an offer..Super Rugby clubs pay half the wages of Wallabies on top-ups, there’s no room to negotiate. So if the clubs had lowballed him, it’s because the ARU and Cheika valued him low.

How much are the Waratahs paying Folau per season, ballpark?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
How much are the Waratahs paying Folau per season, ballpark?
I don't know but I think Folau also is an employee of Foxsports and makes a lot from 3rd party payments. He earns a lot more than anyone else because of this. I was under the impression that there is a max limit on what an Super Rugby contract can be.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ah, thanks. A contracting loophole here. A false salary cap there.

Adjustable rules for the right kinda guy. It's flexible.

Ain't this game grand.
Yep. See Wil Genia, Karmichael Hunt, David Pocock, etc etc etc.

See also, why our super rugby teams go broke even thou the salary cap is fully funded

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My understanding is that Folau makes the majority of his cash via third party deals.

It will be interesting to see if he gets any blow back from his SSM stance when those deal are renewed

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP, nowhere have I commented on the amount of the contract TPN might be on in the UK. The issue is that someone (the ARU I think) suggested all four Aus franchises had made offers to TPN and he rejected them to go o/s. I think the evidence is that none would have had a spare hooker spot on the roster and that some, or all, wouldn't have salary cap available to entice him into a contract. It again looks like smoke and mirrors when in reality there is no opportunity for TPN here at all.

I don't think there is a player in aus who couldn't be better compensated by going O/S. So the premise that any team can "low ball" someone is mute IMHO, they are all low balled. TPN was going O/S last season and was always going O/S when he could find a contract, I can understand why no team tried too hard to find a way But, all professional sporting teams are uncaring arseholes. If a real deal could be done for him, a unit would have been cut to find him space and the salary cap would have been waived/"worked out"

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Loosing players overseas is frustrating enough, loosing and neglecting our pathway is also frustrating - the are now snapping up young kids.
A few Aussies mentioned in this article - and the English team and comp over there does rather well.

http://www.london-irish.com/news/porecki-resigns-with-london-irish/bp1575/

Ive read in various articles that they also invest in their pathway programs as well. This investment builds success, it attracts more supporters, and with more supports more interest, and with that sponsorship.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think there is a player in aus who couldn't be better compensated by going O/S. So the premise that any team can "low ball" someone is mute IMHO, they are all low balled. TPN was going O/S last season and was always going O/S when he could find a contract, I can understand why no team tried too hard to find a way But, all professional sporting teams are uncaring arseholes. If a real deal could be done for him, a unit would have been cut to find him space and the salary cap would have been waived/"worked out"

So, are you agreeing then that none of the remaining Aus sides made a "real deal" offer and that TPN's reported statement is more accurate than any claim that he was offered a deal with all four but turned them down?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So, are you agreeing then that none of the remaining Aus sides made a "real deal" offer and that TPN's reported statement is more accurate than any claim that he was offered a deal with all four but turned them down?

What is a "real deal"? I am sure deals were offered, I am certain none were worth his value on the international market