• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Player Exodus

T

TOCC

These deals you speak of.... are limited to 50% of what the ARU/Cheika value him at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Real deal was your terminology FP, so I'll throw that question back to you.

As TOCC says, the franchises would be obliged to offer 50% of the ARU valuation and they, the ARU would kick in the rest, as they committed to for all ex-Force players for 2018. If an offer had been made, it would by definition have been for a pretty sum, though admittedly not necessarily in the realm of his Leicester deal.

I just can't accept that he was offered any deals by the Aus franchises.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Loosing players overseas is frustrating enough, loosing and neglecting our pathway is also frustrating - the are now snapping up young kids.
A few Aussies mentioned in this article - and the English team and comp over there does rather well.

http://www.london-irish.com/news/porecki-resigns-with-london-irish/bp1575/

Ive read in various articles that they also invest in their pathway programs as well. This investment builds success, it attracts more supporters, and with more supports more interest, and with that sponsorship.
You’ll find more young development players will be moving O/S and to league with the Force being dropped. We need to look after our young players and the pathway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Doubt Folau will get any blow back on his SSM stance as he was classy about it and respectful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus it all depends on what his sponsors are trying to achieve by their sponsorship. Folau is a very public face for the game, one of the very few who are recognizable across the big divide. This alone makes him pretty valuable, I would have thought, and I suspect that the target audience does not care much what his personal opinions are, they like him because of his ability, and his fame.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere..........

McMahon talks about possibly retiring by 30:

Sean McMahon admits he took up a deal in Japanese rugby because he doesn't think his body will hold up to the demands of the game when he is 30 years old.

"The way I'm playing, lasting until I'm over 30 is probably not on the cards I don't think," McMahon said. "This year was a bit of an eye-opener for me. The last four to five years caught up with me all in one year.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...stint-appears-on-horizon-20171124-gzspgu.html

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
"The way I'm playing, lasting until I'm over 30 is probably not on the cards I don't think," McMahon said.

Rings true, imo

"This year was a bit of an eye-opener for me. The last four to five years caught up with me all in one year.

Busted and out for the supe, then he goes and plays for Cheika …

It's not a long-term prospect and going to Japan is the smart move for him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If we just managed him properly he would last. I.e. don't play him in 14 tests in a row. Sort of applies to all our players really.

T

TOCC

If we just managed him properly he would last. I.e. don't play him in 14 tests in a row. Sort of applies to all our players really.

Another reason these flexi-contracts are fools gold, players bodies can't cope with the rigours of playing back to back seasons and its shortening their longevity in the game, and calls into question why the ARU approved pointless Australia A vs Barbarians games as well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Another reason these flexi-contracts are fools gold, players bodies can't cope with the rigours of playing back to back seasons and its shortening their longevity in the game, and calls into question why the ARU approved pointless Australia A vs Barbarians games as well.

Yeah i'm with you on the Baa Baas game. At least it's not only us. The Brits are nearly in revolt as the RFU is trying to extend their domestic season even further.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Loosing players overseas is frustrating enough, loosing and neglecting our pathway is also frustrating - the are now snapping up young kids.
A few Aussies mentioned in this article - and the English team and comp over there does rather well.

http://www.london-irish.com/news/porecki-resigns-with-london-irish/bp1575/

Ive read in various articles that they also invest in their pathway programs as well. This investment builds success, it attracts more supporters, and with more supports more interest, and with that sponsorship.

This article lists London Irish having five hookers in their squad, including Saia Fainga'a who is an ex-Wallaby. And Irish are not one of the big-buck teams. Gives you some idea of the relative financial strength of the two competitions.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
This article lists London Irish having five hookers in their squad, including Saia Fainga'a who is an ex-Wallaby. And Irish are not one of the big-buck teams. Gives you some idea of the relative financial strength of the two competitions.

Something to consider there is that Premiership clubs play a minimum of 32 games: 22 Premiership, 6 European and 4 Anglo-Welsh Cup, twice the minimum a Super Side does (16), and for many of the games (particularly Anglo-Welsh, but at least three Prem rounds) occur during international windows.

In addition, unlike over here, for the domestic competition there are no hard limits on fully contracted players: moreso along the lines of example if the Tahs contracted Paenga Amosa as 4th hooker (both because he's a bloody good local and to prevent anyone else from pinching him) alongside contracting a "proper" youngster, like ex-Reb U20 JP Sauni who's training with you currently AFAIK.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scott Fardy nominated for European player of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We couldn't/souldn't keep older guys like him and also a whole lot of younger guys in Australia with 5 sides. We're now told by RA that running 4 sides will be better.