• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Towns Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kuwherindi - NSW. Former name of Quirindi.
Quirindi: gateway to the Liverpool Plains, name means "Nest in the hills", originally inhabited by the Kamilaroi Tribe, pop around 2,850. Birthplace of Wallabies Mac Ramsay, David Carter, and (hopefully, before 2015 RWC), Sam Carter. Also birthplace of Mr Doug and his two children! Good pies at the "Tank and Tummy" roadhouse, Wallabadah.
(A horse part-owned by Sam Carter's Grandfather and Mr Doug won the 1982 Wallabadah Cup)!!!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hope this qualifies:

Isle of Capri in Gold Coast, QLD....an enclave for the wealthy right near the Surfers Paraside and think there's no pie shop right in there but a short walk to quite a few though!

(Sorry about another 'i' ending, Hugh J is to blame for it in the first place!)

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Can I borrow a back beat please??? Steel Drums at the ready????

"Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir,
so that every mouth can be fed.
Poor me, the Israelite. Aah."

ISRAELITE BAY - WA.

Apologies to Desmond Dekker... If you get to the middle of nowhere. Xantippe. This place is exactly the same but 40k's west.
No footy. No food. Nothing except 'dem israelites weeee ;) ;) ;)

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Being a Noraville lad I can tell you that it is a beautiful place, though I agree with your comment about the locals (wasn't born there myself so not inbred). The closest actual rugby club is 5 minutes north, located in Budgewoi - Northlakes Wallabies. The interesting thing about this club is that it is full of expat Kiwis.
Oops... ;) but they don't play in firsts anymore do they? Heard this from The Great White Flash from The Entrance (aka Dave Burgin)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
They sat out first grade in 2013 due to insufficient numbers. Hopefully, with hard workers like Scott Morony around the club this will be changed in 2014. Other clubs, including The Entrance, have chosen to sit out first grade over the years, usually due to insufficient numbers and concerns over player safety (no point playing first grade if it will may cause injuries to players who are not up to that standard - drop them and rebuild for a year). Unfortunately the Central Coast competition has been in decline for a number of years, even the standard of the strongest club Avoca seems to have slipped in lower grades (first grade is as strong as ever).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yering - Vic. In the Yarra ranges NE of Melbourne. Oldest Victorian winery here. Can't go wrong. Wine coefficient high. Rugby Coefficient low. Pies - go to Hawthorn.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Thanks for the alphabetical list HJ. Methinks your auditors are based in WA, and are also responsible for the missing 1,375 WA Senate voting papers!
No doubt Clive's people will be in touch with you or 'your people' soon!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gordon, Sydney, NSW...needs no introduction here, and am sure there is a pie shop on the highway or just off it, it's been awhile since I traipsed thru it visiting my dentist there in my childhood days.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
NAREEB - VIC

An hour due north of Warrnambool. nothing there but right in the heart of duck hunting territory. Vicious bastards,those ducks. roam the ponds in gangs and everything, but I digress.
Closet pie shop is in Chatsworth just up the road, but I did stop once in Warrnambool where I once had "The Shooters 7 course meal" at the Criterion Hotel,
It was a pie, and six pots! ( Middies ) :)

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bawley point. South of ulladulla. Typical south coast town, not much there other than beautiful beaches and national park - a Small shopping square will serve you pies, but better option is to stop at the Milton pie shop on the way down and back. My wife is having a girls weekend away down there this weekend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tottenham - NSW. 30 km from the geographic centre of NSW. Not many people live here. SOme prefer nearby Bogan Gate.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Molong, NSW
David Lyons hails from here.
The railway line splits here - one line to Yeovil, Cumnock,etc., the other to Broken Hill and further points west.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Apologies.
Is he a West-Country man? Ooo-ar! Does he like cider?

Yes. Born and went to school in Yeovil.
Westland helicopters are also built there, and I think Prince Andrew was based there for a while.
But enough, it's not English Town Trivia :)

Now, the real Yeoval is home to Jon White and Banjo Patterson, while Cumnock is home to Tim Gavin, Ross Reynolds and Jack McCalman
(Not sure how many tests Banjo Patterson played)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gulargambone - NSW. Keeping the NSW Central West theme. Never been there but a mate who used to work for the Railways spoke fondly of this town and the people who lived there. Home of the Gulargambone Gold Gup. More of a party that coincides with a horse race.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Gulargambone - NSW. Keeping the NSW Central West theme. Never been there but a mate who used to work for the Railways spoke fondly of this town and the people who lived there. Home of the Gulargambone Gold Gup. More of a party that coincides with a horse race.
Ex Wallaby Warwick Waugh's home town.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Euston, NSW. A long way from anywhere, located on the Murray River close to Robinvale. Hot at this time of year!

It's not Central West, but Eugowra has already been taken!!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Narraweena, NSW
A suburb of Sydney's Northern Beaches, overlooking Dee Why and its beach.
Nearest bakery/pies at Dee Why.

Status
Not open for further replies.