• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Towns Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Artarmon, Sydney NSW, am sure there is a pie shop next to the railway station, it is a suburb of several identities, industrial, residential and as a huge commuter/traffic thoroughfare.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
NEW CHUM - QLD

On the East side of Ipswich. That is the best thing this place has going for it! That it isn't in Ipswich. Nothing to speak of as far as tucker goes. I think that knowing it isn't Ipswich OR auburn makes this place barely existable

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Milton - Qld. Lang Park, Castlemain Perkins Brewery, Milton Tennis Courts. Beer, Sport. Possibly quite close to paradise. Occasionally hosts watersports festivals. Last one in Jan 2011.

Newnes Plateau - NSW. It has a postcode. Outdoor sports junkies playground known more for bushwalking, canyoning, landscape photography and rock climbing than food, wine, or rugby. This "suburb" copped a cleansing by fire from the recent State Mine Fire. No food. Lindommer recommends the Bakehouse on Wentworth in Blackheath.

Last of the previous yellow cards returns to the game.
ULMARRA-NSW.

I would love to write somehing humourous about this place, but it has been the location of too many accidents. On the Pacific Highway North Coast. It is nicer than Auburn

Next Town is A from Ulmarra.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NEW CHUM - QLD

On the East side of Ipswich. That is the best thing this place has going for it! That it isn't in Ipswich. Nothing to speak of as far as tucker goes. I think that knowing it isn't Ipswich OR auburn makes this place barely existable

Great find @Gristlechewer. Awesome entry in wikipedia for this joint: "New Chum is a suburb of Ipswich, Queensland, Australia."

That is all. Straight to the point. Very efficient. No unnecessary padding out the details. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Chum,_Queensland

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
The Milton Tennis Courts are unfortunately no more, but the home of the Australian Open Tennis (and a part of a Rod Laver Grand Slam, actually) should be marked by more than another bloody property development.

Augathella - it's outside of Charleville. Since 2011 the entrance the town has been marked by 4.5m steel and copper giant sculpture of a meat ant[3] - in a reference to its former junior football team, named the "Mighty Meat Ants

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Red card issued to Augathella. @Wheatman was there first.

Not that it is going to make a difference because it starts and finishes with an "A". :)

I'll add this one as well, to keep the A's going. Augathella, home of the meat ants league team, on the banks of the Warrego river.

If you want to do a quick check if your "town" has already been used, click in the "Search" box just below your user name above. Type in your "town". REMEMBER to check the "Search this thread only" box in the options in the search popup. If your "town" is not found in this search then it will be OK. If it has already been used, then it will be disqualified (Red Carded to keep the rugby theme) and we revert to the previous "town's" last letter as the guide to the next "town".

Next Town remains A from Ulmarra.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
NEW CHUM - QLD

Dog food from the shop?

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Arthurs Creek - Vic. Suffered in the Black Sat bushfires. Some good wines from that area. Pie status cannot be confirmed and no rugby either. So apart from the wine it might be best to avoid this town.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kapooka - NSW. All Army recruits spend time in Blamey Barracks here for their basic training. Lots pass through here enroute to more exciting and exotic places like Pukapunyal; Palmerston, Tully, Singleton, Holsworthy, Townsville and Bandiana. The lucky ones get to come back as staff.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Abbotsford, in Sydney, NSW, another suburb I remember from my childhood, family friends lived there so it was more of a BBQ cusine there than of pies then!

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
DRUMBORG - VIC

Bugger all East of the SA Border. It has one of the best vineyards for producing World Class Riesling named after the township. Do yourselves a favour and try a Seppelts Drumborg Riesling. The older, the better. Truly a magnificent drop.
The closest place I wouls try for the culinary delights of the region would be Portland due south on the Coast. Not a hellava lot there though. Just drink and be merry

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Guildford - NSW. Near @Gristlechewers reference town of Auburn. Often mentioned in connection with drive-by shootings and Outlaw Motor Cycle Gang activities. Home of 1st KFC in Australia. Also in Vic – Home of the Big Tree, and WA – Could have been seat of WA government.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dangar Island - NSW. A suburb and an Island in the Hawkesbury River. No privately owned cars on the island for the 300 residents. You can get a reasonable feed from the Bowlo.

@Gristlechewer beat be to the previous "D" :( with Drumborg.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Dubbo, NSW
Home of the Western Plains Zoo', and of Dubbo and Dubbo Rhinos rugby clubs.
I haven't eaten a pie there, but I'm sure that they can be found.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Old Guildford - NSW. Near Guildford but not as many newsworthy mentions as Guildford. Residents are happy to be living in Old Guildford rather than Guildford when it comes time to sell their house.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
DON - TAS

Really its part of Devonport, so if it includes Devon, and Don. Is Don, Is Good. Hahaha. Gee I crack myself up
No idea on the culinary stakes and obviously coming from Taswegia, they focus on cross country volley ball and finding out who their real daddy is.
Including the genetic issue this place is still better than auburn, and thanks HJ for giving notion to Old Guildford, a much maligned suburb :)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
New Norcia - WA

The only monastic town in Australia. Founded by two Benedictine monks in the mid 1800's. One of which became quite famous (Rosendo Salvado) and wrote a book about the experience I am trying to locate called Memorie Storiche dell' Australia. Provided outstanding care to the local indigenous population (for the not insignificant price of their salvation).

Forget the pies, they still bake bread daily in a wood fired oven.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Audley – NSW. Near the Weir in the Royal National Park. The Weir here frequently floods cutting off the wonderfully scenic drive through the park, back road to the gong and the Sea Cliff Bridge where so many car ads are filmed.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
YABBA NORTH - VIC

Is the poor cousin of Yabba South, and a distant relation of Bedrock ( fill em in HJ). In the mid 1800's, apparently a bushranger stole the sign of "Yabba" because he thought it was funny. Noone ever replaced it so Yabba was swallowed in the great naming rights of the Railway Station. Yabba South won this, and it is very much the Hatfields and the Mc Coys in this thar neck o tha woods.

Whilst nothing to eat here except sheep shit and flies, there is an absolute diamond a half hour away in Cobram, right on the Murray, with the best Pizza the family have EVER dined upon. It is worth turning off at Albury for it.
Better than anything I have consumed on any continent. I would gladly sell auburn for more of this gastronomic pleasure, but then again, I would gladly sell auburn

Status
Not open for further replies.