• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aussie Towns Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Geelong - Vic. Hoe of the Geelong Rams who play in the second div in the local club comp and Geelong Grammar who play in the schools league. Also home of Ford new Disability Network.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Geebung - Qld. A nondescript northern suburb of Bris-Vegas. There is no Polo Club here, despite A.B. Paterson's 1893 poem. The project that set up the project that became the Jindalee Over the Horizon Radar Network which is supposedly to help with the Defence of Australia from the Northern Hordes but seems to be used more to locate asylum seeker boats than give early warning of an impending invasion from one of our Enemies in the North, was called Project Geebung.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
In keeping with the current theme of having names that begin and end in "g":-
Guyong, NSW

Guyong is located 40km west of Bathurst. When Bathurst was settled in 1815 the locality of Guyong was associated with an old hut and stockyards. The locality of Guyong was connected to the first discovery of payable gold at Ophir in 1851. There was at one time located in Guyong, churches, a school, post office and an inn and a Cemetery located at East Guyong.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gerringong - NSW. Down in the Gong. Full of seachangers and retirees. Greco-Roman Rugby players Mick Cronin and Rod Wishart are Gerringongers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
keeping the begin and end in G theme going,

Galong - NSW. Southern Inland NSW town that has a big limestone mine. Not much else. Pies and Beer are standard commercial varieties. Harden Red Devils for your rugby fix.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Not playing this without me!!!

GONG GONG - VIC

A suburb, for want of a better word, of Ballarat. If you want real footy,drive north over the border into the 21st century. All the basic foodstuffs abound, but you can find good tucker up the road at Daylesford

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
GRONG GRONG - NSW

Just up the road from Narrandera. It has about 20 people live there but back in the 60's it fielded 3 senior sides in cross country volleyball. They have all since amalgamted with Ganmain and Matong. Again, Sheep abound in this area, food is abundent in the pubs and a very nice Steak and Onion pie in Narrandera. Nice place with good people which totally overshadows auburn

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Greg Greg, NSW - Near Tumba-bloody-rumba and again more of a locality than a town. I admit that I found that one via Google, but had no idea that there were so many "GG" names in the Riverina.

I love this game!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Glendinning - NSW. Deep in Sydneys West near Rooty Hill, Plumpton, Oakhurst and Dean Park. Rooty Hill Raptors Rugby territory.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Googong - NSW. Nearly ACT but this suburb is part of Queanbeyan. The Googong Dam provides potable water to Queanbeyan and Canberra.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Goomalling - WA. Wheat belt town near Northam. If you are going to Eradu from The Corso, this town is where you turn to the North, onto highway 115, with only 400 km to go.

I make it at least another 3 G-g towns in Victoria that I will leave for others to get.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
GABALONG - WA

there are still shitloads to go in the G - g stakes @hugh jarse!!!!

This place is your typical Western Australian place. Loads of nothing! 2 hours NE of Perth and 1000 years behind the Eastern states. Still it is nicer than auburn.

I like WA, it is quaint. When over there for work, I remember reading the headlines of the paper and in bold print they said " ELVIS DEAD"
It was 2006

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gundowring, Vic. 2 hours south of Wagga in Vic Alpine foothills. Unlike many G-g towns this town is not a loads of nothing. There is ice cream here at the Gundowring Homestead - Yum. If you get to Upper Gundowring, no ice cream for you, you've gone too far.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Gilgandra, NSW.
Town on the Castlereagh River where a mass recruitment march for WW1 began. Not sure of pies but being a country town will most likely have a heap of pubs that would provide nice steaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.