• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't know the contract status re Horwitz, but begs the question why one of the other franchises hasn't offered him a deal to pay at No 10. After all, I'm sure that was where he played for Randwick when he first broke into Super.

I think 12 is his best position and it's certainly where he's played most of his rugby in the last couple of years.

He cracked a consistent starting spot for the Tahs this season. Whilst there is no guarantee that will continue next season, why would he be looking to leave Sydney?

With one blue eye and one red, I'd like to see Sam Lane given an extended chance at 10 in Super Rugby. I see his abilities at the same level as David Horwitz.

He'd probably struggle to be offered more than an EPS contract in Super Rugby next season. Would he want one? He'll also be 27 when the next Super Rugby season starts.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH, my comment re Horwitz was more to the situation last year or at the beginning of this. In 2018, he will probably still be the first choice No 12 for the Tahs, though there might be a bit more competition from Simone if he continues to develop.

The state of our No 10s nationwide though would almost ensure him a start there if he went to the right franchise, maybe Rebels or Force if either or both survive.

K

KAOPointman

OK, now I have to watch it a 3rd time because I'm sure the knock-on was called on Alan A.
And it's inhuman to make me watch it a 3rd time!!!!!!! :eek:
How'd you go the 3rd time around Cyclopath. Funny how easy commentators talk can influence how you see a game....or a players impact!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How'd you go the 3rd time around Cyclopath. Funny how easy commentators talk can influence how you see a game..or a players impact!

Well, I recorded it. ;)
It's a start......... If I'm feeling masochistic I might watch it this weekend - tad busy with work most of the week.
And FYI, I don't pay much attention to what the commentators are saying with respect to the play by play. My initial reaction both times was that Ala'alatoa knocked it on, but I'm happy to concede I could well be wrong. In case I never actually get around to watching it again. :D

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How'd you go the 3rd time around Cyclopath. Funny how easy commentators talk can influence how you see a game..or a players impact!

Foley knocks it on trying to clean up Ala'alatoa's error whilst under pressure, but equally you can argue that it is Ala'alatoa's error that has put the Wallabies under pressure in the first place.

Foley compounds the original error.

Certainly this is one of the problems of not having a left foot kicker in the team. Instead of exiting from the other side of the field the phase after Hooper cleans up the ball the Wallabies look to transfer it to the right side of the field.

On that play Ala'alatoa is meant to catch it and punch it up. and then we'd clear a phase or so later.

K

KAOPointman

Foley knocks it on trying to clean up Ala'alatoa's error whilst under pressure, but equally you can argue that it is Ala'alatoa's error that has put the Wallabies under pressure in the first place.

Certainly this is one of the problems of not having a left foot kicker in the team. Instead of exiting from the other side of the field the phase after Hooper cleans up the ball the Wallabies look to transfer it to the right side of the field.

On that play Ala'alatoa is meant to catch it and punch it up. and then we'd clear a phase or so later.
Yes...and I also argue that a good player doesn't knock it on under pressure as often as Foley does in this game. Yes he was under pressure because of someonesles mistake......but I'd expect a "playmaker" to have better hands,feet and coordination skills then what was displayed....again. And that's the point.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

And then you watch the Hurricanes v BIL and see the naturally right footed 20yo Jordie Barrett kick a ball 30+ metres downfield in to touch on the move, under pressure using his non-favoured left foot.

Most kids who play AFL can usually kick off both feet at least 20 metres by the age of 16. Its just another skill lacking in Aussie rugby that they cant seem to up-skill players with.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Certainly this is one of the problems of not having a left foot kicker in the team.

I agree. It was that Ben Tapuaii moved overseas and is not available for selection.

Therefore, Foley didn't drop the ball - Ben Tapuaii did.

Reactions: TSR

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
And then you watch the Hurricanes v BIL and see the naturally right footed 20yo Jordie Barrett kick a ball 30+ metres downfield in to touch on the move, under pressure using his non-favoured left foot.

Most kids who play AFL can usually kick off both feet at least 20 metres by the age of 16. Its just another skill lacking in Aussie rugby that they cant seem to up-skill players with.

Yeah i watch a fair bit of Football(Soccer) and a pet peeve is a players inability to use their weaker foot. All it takes is practice to bring it up to a passable standard.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah i watch a fair bit of Football(Soccer) and a pet peeve is a players inability to use their weaker foot. All it takes is practice to bring it up to a passable standard.

Same as passing to your weak side

Warren Ryan used to spend the whole off season running passing drills on the weak side

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Izzy's kicking is generally reasonable though when he does need to clear it.

Clearly he needs a reasonable amount of time to kick and if he's under pressure his best bet is to probably try and beat the man which is something he does do very well.

How many situations in the June series should he have kicked the ball instead of running it back? Did we ever lose possession when he ran it back?

As a general rule, the Wallabies rarely ever return a kick with an up and under.

It would be excellent if Izzy could nail a long general play kick to find touch inside the opposition 22 when he receives a kick and there is space to kick to at the other end but I'll also accept him taking the ball to around halfway and us retaining possession.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Only problem with that BH is that it's fairly predictable when everyone knows he's not going to kick it. Not much pressure on the back three.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Only problem with that BH is that it's fairly predictable when everyone knows he's not going to kick it. Not much pressure on the back three.

Yes it's predictable but it hasn't been exploited as a weakness. We're managing to retain possession pretty easily with decent field position.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Or perhaps he uses his running skills but brings the up and under to the fray further down the field?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
How about the simpliest and most effective plan... like an up and under to a chasing Folau. A well executed kick will give us possession back more then 50% of the time given Izzy's ridiculous arial skills. Also, predictablity isn't a factor, the opposition can predict it all they want but can't do much to stop it unless they learn how to jump 2 feet higher or cheat and cut Izzy's running line off.

Too bad no-one can do a well executed up and under. Wow just imagine if Izzy could do an up and under to himself.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
How about the simpliest and most effective plan. like an up and under to a chasing Folau. A well executed kick will give us possession back more then 50% of the time given Izzy's ridiculous arial skills. Also, predictablity isn't a factor, the opposition can predict it all they want but can't do much to stop it unless they learn how to jump 2 feet higher or cheat and cut Izzy's running line off.

Too bad no-one can do a well executed up and under. Wow just imagine if Izzy could do an up and under to himself.

And just who do we with the skills to send accurate up and unders consistently?

Who do we have that will chase with Izzy?

I wish I had a unicorn that shit gold as well

Status
Not open for further replies.