• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There must be players running around in Shute Shield, the Brisbane comp and even in Perth who can transition up to Super rugby? The NRC has showcased some excellent talent of late.
The foreign player policy needs to be revisited and the numbers of them permitted reduced, particularly if we do drop a franchise.
Geoff Parling is not a good signing when we have someone like Simmons without a contract and likely to go offshore. He could easily fill the same role at the Rebs. In fact we have a lot of second row talent coming through that would make it pretty easy to fill the lock spots with local lads in all Super rugby squads.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He didn't measure up as a first choice for the Waratahs, and I've never advocated him for the Wallabies. However, when we release a man in his early 20s from super rugby in favour of foreign journeymen, I think that's a problem for a country which has paper thin depth.

You don't know what Volavola's part in that was though. When he was no longer wanted at the Waratahs and there's a RWC at the end of the year, that surely plays into his thinking and decision making.

Was playing for Fiji at the RWC and taking a contract at the Crusaders where an exodus of fly halves created opportunity in 2016 his last choice option?

I'm betting it wasn't.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That's just Sam Ryan's opinion though QH, it's no more or less valid than yours, mine or BH's.

I think that of all the possible scenarios, the one you are inferring is the least likely. Ben would have thought through all his options and done what he thought was best for him, I highly doubt that it was a last gasp for air as far as his rugby career was concerned.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From that article, it seems that if he had been desperate to stay in Australia he could have taken a contract at the Reds.

He's in his fifth year as a Super Rugby player across three teams and has never been able to nail down a starting spot.

There's no denying he's got talent but there's also no denying he has big weaknesses to his game.

He's had plenty of opportunity within professional ranks and never shone.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Exactly my point.

No, it is a false equivalency, neither is the only acceptable answer.

One he chose to play in a RWC for Fiji and should have lost all chances of getting a contract in Aus after that and the other wasn't worthy of getting a premium international contract in Aus.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No, it is a false equivalency, neither is the only acceptable answer.

One he chose to play in a RWC for Fiji and should have lost all chances of getting a contract in Aus after that and the other wasn't worthy of getting a premium international contract in Aus.

He shouldn't have a contract now, I totally agree. He and those like him coming through should be signed ahead of foreign journeymen like Ebersohn.

(As long as they are eligible to play for the Wallabies)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's just Sam Ryan's opinion though QH, it's no more or less valid than yours, mine or BH's.

I think that of all the possible scenarios, the one you are inferring is the least likely. Ben would have thought through all his options and done what he thought was best for him, I highly doubt that it was a last gasp for air as far as his rugby career was concerned.

From his point of view, he certainly made the right choice to take the Fiji option. But, one of the stated reason for starting up the Force and then the Rebels was to keep fringe players playing in Australia and thus increase the depth of the talent pool. Who knows with some decent coaching he might have improved.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
The only foreigners I want are the Dan Carters or Geoff Parlings, quality test players who will actually add tangible. And then, one per position country wide

Not second tier kiwis unable to get a squad start in NZ.
If the option is "development" and signing for O/S, only with ARU approval for the national interest.

But that isn't meant to exclude a guy who has immigrated to Aus and has been playing club\NRC from normal selection.

Marquee players a la the soccer

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think the problem here is not the signing of marquee players per se, but the fact that of those we have, four of them play at 10. As a result of that (and Lance's injury) we only have two eligible no 10s playing regular super rugby in Aus.
Having said that, I'm not sure what the solution is!:(
It is disappointing that one of the consistently strongest franchises has a foreign first choice 9 and 10. Let's face it, if it hadn't been for Cubelli's injury, we wouldn't have the terrific potential that is Joe Powell hovering around the Wallabies.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
not knowingthe full back story but, still struggling to see how micheal Ala'alatoa was lost from aussie rugby, the crusaders liked what they saw. cause as much as everynes looking at 10, the front row against italy was a bigger issue, its going to be raining 3 points all game come rugby championship

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I recall Zack Holmes filling in at 10 when the Brumbies had an injury crisis in that position. Both Lilo and To'omua injured.

It was in the back end of the season too, he handled the pressure well under the coaching guidance of White and Larkham. I thought to myself we have a future solid flyhalf.

Then he disappeared. Went to the Force I think in search of more game-time (I wise choice given he was behind Lilo and To'omua). But instead the force opted to buy some 3rd string amateur NZ flyhalf who didn't do much at all.

Now where on earth is Holmes? Just imagine if he was playing consistent rugby at 10 for the last 3 years!

Same story happening at the Brumbies now, all this hype around Jooste and Hope-Jackson, yet Larkham goes off and gets a NZ flyhalf no-one heard of. Should of just chucked the young Aussie guys in. Although at least he's performing well-enough.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I recall Zack Holmes filling in at 10 when the Brumbies had an injury crisis in that position. Both Lilo and To'omua injured.

It was in the back end of the season too, he handled the pressure well under the coaching guidance of White and Larkham. I thought to myself we have a future solid flyhalf.

Then he disappeared. Went to the Force I think in search of more game-time (I wise choice given he was behind Lilo and To'omua). But instead the force opted to buy some 3rd string amateur NZ flyhalf who didn't do much at all.

Now where on earth is Holmes? Just imagine if he was playing consistent rugby at 10 for the last 3 years!

Same story happening at the Brumbies now, all this hype around Jooste and Hope-Jackson, yet Larkham goes off and gets a NZ flyhalf no-one heard of. Should of just chucked the young Aussie guys in. Although at least he's performing well-enough.

La Rochelle playing 10

La Rochelle

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It's not really a good reflection on our local talent when Hawera, who is hardly setting the world alight and was a last minute signing, is performing better than most of the contracted flyhalves in the country (obvious notable exceptions)...........

As for Holmes unfortunately another talented backline player ruined at the Force under Foley.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
To be honest I think the 'talent' per se is here in Australia but there is such a significant jump from premier rugby to super rugby. The fitness levels required are immensely larger in super rugby. It seems like the easy option to take a developed player from overseas/another club, rather than taking a chance by developing a player.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
With one blue eye and one red, I'd like to see Sam Lane given an extended chance at 10 in Super Rugby. I see his abilities at the same level as David Horwitz.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With one blue eye and one red, I'd like to see Sam Lane given an extended chance at 10 in Super Rugby. I see his abilities at the same level as David Horwitz.

Don't know the contract status re Horwitz, but begs the question why one of the other franchises hasn't offered him a deal to pay at No 10. After all, I'm sure that was where he played for Randwick when he first broke into Super.

Status
Not open for further replies.