• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia v Italy, Suncorp Stadium, 24th June 2017 @ 3:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Volavola wasn't a foreign no 10 when he was playing for Waratahs. He took the Fiji option when he couldn't get a super contract here.

Yep your correct.

Doesn't change the fact he's an international 10 playing for Australia.

He'll never be eligible for the Wallabies just like Grant, Gardon-Bachop or Hawera and their presence is slowing down Aus 10 growth.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
. Do people need to be reminded that Larkham is far and away the most successful Super Rugby coach currently in Aus? Which team is way out in front on the Aus conference table? Which team is the only Aus side to have a positive points for and against? And which team lost its two No 10 options at the beginning of the year, one to overseas and one to severe illness?

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yep your correct.

He'll never be eligible for the Wallabies just like Grant, Gardon-Bachop or Hawera and their presence is slowing down Aus 10 growth.

True, had any of the 5 Aussie franchises shown interest at the end of 2015 he'd still be in line to play for the Wallabies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
In the reporting of the Quigley conversation with Cheika, Cheika said that was the last time they were fit
Coincidence that's the last time a lot of people say they played well? Thing is they weren't that flash then and shouldve lost to Scotland.

I don't think fitness is the biggest issue the team has.

T

TOCC

Larkham also had a wallaby inelegible half back as his first choice scrum half until injury in pre-season. It was stated earlier this season how ludicrous it was that the wallaby attack coach had a wallaby inelegible halves combo..

And it can't be from lack of options, Powell has stood up and performed well in the absence of Cubelli.. so how many other Powells are there in Australia, young flyhalves just waiting to be offered the opportunity..

Australias lack of depth at blindside is a result of years of having foreign blindsides in Australia, even in 2017 I believe we have 3 wallaby inelegible blindside flankers/no.8 in Australian squads, but it was worse in 2015-2016

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Coincidence that's the last time a lot of people say they played well? Thing is they weren't that flash then and shouldve lost to Scotland.

I don't think fitness is the biggest issue the team has.

Weren't flash?

+ Decent performance against Fij in the hardest pool in the RWC.
+ Awesome win against England at their home RWC.
+ Awesome win against Wales.
+ Awesome win against Argentina.
+ Stuttering win against Scotland.
+ Admirable performance against ABs given injuries.

In the lead up:

+ Beat the All Blacks and won the RC.

Let's not rewrite history. 2015 was a pretty good year to be a Wallabies fan.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I will say that Cheika's comments indicate that he is playing the long game and he has really seen these tests as a preparation for the RC.

I know that it would seem we are in diabolical shape on the evidence presented but if it is true he has been flogging the players physically and if he gets the support of the super teams to continue a fitness focus we may be pleasantly surprised in the upside.

I am not so optimistic as to say it'll work - but I hope that my read on it is correct. At least that might mean we'll be competitive.

Yeah let's relax. The loss to Scotland was planned it's all la masterplan to have us ready for the 2024 world cup - then we can all look back on the glory of Cheika with hindsight when we lift the cup, because to look now at his brilliance would surely blind us

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Weren't flash?

+ Decent performance against Fij in the hardest pool in the RWC.
+ Awesome win against England at their home RWC.
+ Awesome win against Wales.
+ Awesome win against Argentina.
+ Stuttering win against Scotland.
+ Admirable performance against ABs given injuries.

In the lead up:

+ Beat the All Blacks and won the RC.

Let's not rewrite history. 2015 was a pretty good year to be a Wallabies fan.

We also had a pretty strong group of players, and off the back of two of our Soup teams being among the top four in the comp over a few years (and not that long after the Reds' success too)..........

In fact the 15 team era of Super Rugby was good for Australian teams overall.........

Unfortunately we haven't evolved.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah let's relax. The loss to Scotland was planned it's all la masterplan to have us ready for the 2024 world cup - then we can all look back on the glory of Cheika with hindsight when we lift the cup, because to look now at his brilliance would surely blind us
Well, I knew at least one person would take my comment this way.

I have no problem people being critical of Cheika, and have been myself - but he does have a comparatively successful record as a coach at super & European levels, he did take us to a World Cup final which I think most would agree was above expectations and he has demonstrated several times he is willing to wear short term pain for long term gain. Also, a lot of his public comments do suggest he is not in denial about the performance of the team and the job in front of them.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I can't say I buy into making the argument that having an international player in X position is as big of a problem as everyone makes it out to be. Other than the fact that if an international player is the best option for a team in that position and actually helps those around him perform better than surely that's a positive sign right?

The danger you run of simply saying not international players is, you could have 5-10 Jake McIntyre's running the show around the nation (I don't want to put the guy down, but I'm trying to illustrate that the quality may suffer).

You know what hurt the most in the play maker department? Losing both To'omua AND Lelifano in one year. If we had one those players we wouldn't be having this discussion. The ARU and Brumbies spent almost a decade developing those guys and one left to do what most 20 something year olds do, and the other had a rough hand dealt to him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't say I buy into making the argument that having an international player in X position is as big of a problem as everyone makes it out to be. Other than the fact that if an international player is the best option for a team in that position and actually helps those around him perform better than surely that's a positive sign right?

The danger you run of simply saying not international players is, you could have 5-10 Jake McIntyre's running the show around the nation (I don't want to put the guy down, but I'm trying to illustrate that the quality may suffer).

You know what hurt the most in the play maker department? Losing both To'omua AND Lelifano in one year. If we had one those players we wouldn't be having this discussion. The ARU and Brumbies spent almost a decade developing those guys and one left to do what most 20 something year olds do, and the other had a rough hand dealt to him.

It doesn't help any team to have some average unit taking up roster space, it isn't like Dan Carter is running round as the import. McIntyre is as good, if not better than the foreign units we have rolling out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep your correct.

I don't think it will happen, but couldn't either of Garden-Bachop or Hawera be Wallaby eligible after playing here the requisite time? If they choose to do so, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.