• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Boks are downplaying their intent on smashing the Aus scrum. Cant wait to see Mowen try pick up the unhooked ball from a turbo reversing scrum.
I think both coaches are keeping their cards close to their chests and both have basically only been praising the opposition at this stage. Interesting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
More than happy for Willie to move to the wing, but why bring Kirchner in instead of Lambie who has played well when he has come on there recently.

I hate to say it, but quota issue? Basson drops out, so a player of colour has to be brought in?
Ja sure, Lambie is a much better 15.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Hi Lewisr. lets reframe the myth then. Can Quade be dominant in defense? Because if the answer is no, what plans / tactics are used in the event of heavy traffic in his defensive channel ? Do these plans undermine a different aspect to the Wallaby gameplan?

How many flyhalves in world rugby are dominant in defense? The only person I can think of is Matt To'omua, but we haven't seen his defensive dominance at Wallaby level anyway. Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Morne Steyn, Johnny Sexton, Owen Farrell, Kurtley Beale etc etc etc are all solid but non of them are dominant defenders that pressure the opposition behind the gain line. Since when has it been the Flyhalves role to be the hard hitter? Frankly, as long as they can (generally) put people on the ground or slow them up, I'd rather they were trying to save their fitness for orchestrating attacking raids.

Once again, Quade is not the best defender, but he is hardly a turnstile and, these days, isn't even a liability. He will defend in the front line as we saw when he came off the bench and this will not be an issue. His issue is reducing STUPID quade errors like charge downs and Willie Le Roux intercepts. Save the cut outs and offloads for the Bokkies 22.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
How many flyhalves in world rugby are dominant in defense? The only person I can think of is Matt To'omua, but we haven't seen his defensive dominance at Wallaby level anyway. Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Morne Steyn, Johnny Sexton, Owen Farrell, Kurtley Beale etc etc etc are all solid but non of them are dominant defenders that pressure the opposition behind the gain line. Since when has it been the Flyhalves role to be the hard hitter? Frankly, as long as they can (generally) put people on the ground or slow them up, I'd rather they were trying to save their fitness for orchestrating attacking raids.

Once again, Quade is not the best defender, but he is hardly a turnstile and, these days, isn't even a liability. He will defend in the front line as we saw when he came off the bench and this will not be an issue. His issue is reducing STUPID quade errors like charge downs and Willie Le Roux intercepts. Save the cut outs and offloads for the Bokkies 22.

I dont think Quade is a bad tackler (or ever was) although I think sometimes he didnt commit when he should have.. decision making in defence.. This has lead to teams putting more down at him then other 5/8's and in part made us have to cover him more.

As long as he commits to his tackling when he has to he will go well, Matty To'omua defended pretty well last match but got bumped a couple of times by Noun (who didnt). But To'omua always commits in his tackles and makes great reads.

I hope To'omua stays at 10 but i would not be upset if Quade gets the gig. I might even be happy if Foley got a run off the bench against the Arggies..

Now I think White needs more game time as well and hopefully against the bok will get some his quick passing off the ground is great and so is his boot. Hopefully starts vs the arggies as well

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
< snip >
His issue is reducing STUPID quade errors like charge downs and Willie Le Roux intercepts. Save the cut outs and offloads for the Bokkies 22.

The Wobs need Good Quade, not his alter-ego Bad Quade, to show up ready for footy on Saturday night. Suncorp should be good for him, although he has had some variable performances there over the years.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
The Wobs need Good Quade, not his alter-ego Bad Quade, to show up ready for footy on Saturday night. Suncorp should be good for him, although he has had some variable performances there over the years.

Let's hope to hell he plays like he did against the sharks. That was without a doubt one of his best games since 2011.

Tomikin Completely agree with what you're saying. I also reckon white should be getting heaps more game time. His form has been beyond Genia this season.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't really see the controversy in starting Cooper over To'omua. First, Cooper was probably a bit unlucky not to get a shot at 10 from the start. Second, Link is two games into his Wallaby coaching career -- he should have some leeway to change things up a bit. Third, on what Link said then/now/whenever about Quade/To'omua/the bench -- he should have the right to change his mind or shift his valuation of performances and players.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Probable Bok XV – 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Willie le Roux, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Flip van der Merwe, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/kirchner-in-last-line-for-springboks

Kirchner FFS!

triplefacepalm.jpg

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
His issue is reducing STUPID quade errors like charge downs and Willie Le Roux intercepts. Save the cut outs and offloads for the Bokkies 22.

Genia had 3 kicks touched/charged last week and Lilo gave up that in Brisbane. If people are hypercritical of a Cooper charge down I will cry.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cooper has a pretty solid kicking game.
I hope we see him taking the ball to the line and linking with Folau and JOC (James O'Connor) on the counter.
The make up of the backrow will be interesting. Does McCalman come in with Fardy moved into the second row or will link leave it the same to try and dominate in the line out?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Confirmed. He has had knee surgery and MIGHT (big might) be ready for the EOYT. Most likely scenario is that he will have a preseason Super preparation which should allow him to be in top shape to run on in February.
That's a shame and Higgers not due to return until next year. McCalman probably needs some time on the paddock. Kimlin would have been handy to have in the squad for this RC.

Dmac

Frank Row (1)
There seems to be a lot of optimism about the Wobs here (not surprisingly) but where do you think the Wobs have an advantage over the boks at the moment?

Not in set piece, fielding high ball, effective kicking from hand, giving away penalties (depending on whatever the ref had for lunch of course :) ) and on recent form basic catching and passing.

And yet most punters seem to think the boks have no chance because its at suncorp and they don't 'travel' well.

Serious question, just wher do the wobs have a match winning advantage?
I suspect the Wobs have a bigger 'reversal of form' mountain to climb than the boks do to win this one.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Sorry Dmac I couldn't read your post, found the reference to the Wallabies as Wobs too grating. No doubt it is the paranoia in me thinking it smacks of cocky kiwis calling the Wallabies Wobblies.

We Aussies are never cocky. Except when we win sport. Which I suppose is, historically, quite a lot.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)

Once again, Quade is not the best defender, but he is hardly a turnstile and, these days, isn't even a liability. He will defend in the front line as we saw when he came off the bench and this will not be an issue. His issue is reducing STUPID quade errors like charge downs and Willie Le Roux intercepts . Save the cut outs and offloads for the Bokkies 22.

The actual issue raised in my previous post revolves around a discussion on new tactics.
Quade is what he is. Given that he'll defend in the front line, which we don't see for QLD, what's the setup going to look like.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to the Oz Schatz is set to replace Fardy in the starting XV:

The possible Wallabies team:
15: Israel Folau, 14: Nick Cummins, 13: Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12: Christian Lealiifano, 11: James O'Connor, 10: Quade Cooper, 9: Will Genia, 8: Jake Schatz, 7: Michael Hooper, 6: Ben Mowen, 5: James Horwill (c), 4: Rob Simmons, 3: Ben Alexander, 2: Stephen Moore, 1: James Slipper. Reserves: 16: Saia Fainga'a, 17: Sekope Kepu, 18: Scott Sio, 19: Kane Douglas, 20: Scott Fardy, 21: Nic White, 22: Tevita Kuridrani, 23: Matt To'omua.
The fuck? o_O

Dmac

Frank Row (1)
Sorry to offend your australian sensitivities so easily Athilnaur, how would you like me to refer to your beloved team in a short hand phrase? :)

(I would claim typo but its a tall order given the relative position of the a and o keys.)

Does this mean you have no answer to the questions raised?

Status
Not open for further replies.