• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Did you not see him get destroyed when he came on two weeks ago?
Potential yes, should we stick with him, yes, but he is no way ready to start.

Plus Slipper has been one of our best so far, although of a bad bunch.

Really we got hammered in the first test, and he was knocked out in the first half in the second... around the field his been ok.. but I could have slapped him when I saw him out on the wing hogging the ball and not passing to izzy in the first test. Dont get me wrong Sio wasnt any better.. But why the F is SLIPPER* playing loose head when his been a tight head all year..

Edit as it didnt read right.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Unleash the badger,

This is so close to my starting team I had in my head when link took over.

I'm really pumped cummins , love his passion of the game

I'm happy as a "tree full of kookaburras" with the team. Just trying on some if the badger chat. :)

White and To'omua coming on later in the game is such a boost.

really I would for impact Quade is what you would want. To'omua is more of an insurance policy against stupid quade showing up :)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Wobs by ten.

Close game until some scores from a falcon hitting Kirchner who only wakes up the next morning.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Lets not forget if Quade had of come back in and got hammered by the all blacks his career in Gold would probably have been done.

Lets just hope To'omua wasn't Ewen sacrificial lamb.
Link is pragmatic.
It would have been controversial to promote QC (Quade Cooper) straight to the run on squad.There would have been too much pressure on QC (Quade Cooper) to start him in NZ,given the reception he gets there.
It's not really fair on the incumbent, but is is Test footy,and the coach has the right to pick whomever he chooses.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bokke

15 Zane Kirchner, 24 caps
14 Willie le Roux, 5
13 JJ Engelbrecht, 6
12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 89
11 Bryan Habana, 88
10 Morné Steyn, 47
9 Ruan Pienaar, 68
8 Duane Vermeulen, 9
7 Willem Alberts, 23
6 Francois Louw, 21
5 Flip van der Merwe, 28
4 Eben Etzebeth, 16
3 Jannie du Plessis, 47
2 Bismarck du Plessis, 50
1 Tendai Mtawarira, 46

Replacements
16 Adriaan Strauss, 26
17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 42
18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 7
19 Juandré Kruger, 13
20 Siya Kolisi, 4
21 Jano Vermaak, 1
22 Pat Lambie, 25
23 Jan Serfontein, 5

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Other than the Kirchner brain fart (still can't believe it) the only other problem I have with this team is Vermeulen and Alberts in the back row. I am of the opinion that you can't play them both together. Too much of the same.

I really think Kolisi should have started in the place of Alberts who looks out of shape.

It will be interesting to see how the lineout goes with no Kruger. I assume Etsebeth will call it. Expect some mistakes but I think it is the long term option and Flip is keeping PS du Toit's place warm.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Lets not forget if Quade had of come back in and got hammered by the all blacks his career in Gold would probably have been done.

That's tinfoil hat stuff.

To'omua got the first chance because he was the form Australian 10 throughout Super Rugby.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Zane Kirchner? I have never seen anything from that guy to suggest he is an International footballer.

A good looking SA side, but not one that fills me with fear. Tight five look good, but if we can get parity there then I think we can easily get the upper hand out wide.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

That would be far from Ewen intentions. To'omua is the inform 10 and Ewen gave him 1st crack and 2nd crack at the all blacks. If you look pass the QC (Quade Cooper) and MT debate, To'omua should be pretty happy being 1st picked 10 against the number 1 team in the world.

If deans was still coach,To'omua would be watching the games from his couch. He has a lot to thank Ewen for, To'omua's form through super rugby has been rewarded. Which I believe is fantastic, it opens the door for every player to make the squad And should give our players that boost to next years season.

I have been quoted on this forum that I'm over him already, and I am. But I don't want to see him gone from the team.

I can turn this around and say putting QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 and MT on the bench, cooper could be a sacrificial lamb to get the best out of To'omua.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty impressive tight five from the Bokke.

Will be great to see the Battleship running around on Australian Soil.

Squeaky Moore will have to lift his game to compete with the Battleship BdP.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Big pack from the Boks, but that's how they roll. I question the wisdom of continuing with Steyn at 10 and would have gone with Lambie. I also wonder about Kirchner, is he really international class?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you were ever going to ease Cooper into a test starting spot again, a test at Suncorp would be it, the crowd will be right behind him.

But I still think To'omua is the form player left on the bench and it is quite hard on him. He did the hard yards against the best side in the world, and got better while doing it only to lose his spot to play somewhat easier opposition.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd guess that Cooper will have less time to get the backline firing than To'omua otherwise might. More will be expected of Cooper this weekend than in To'omua's first two tests (particularly as the opposition is weaker).

I think a win for the Wallabies this weekend is very important. It's going to be a very long Rugby Championship if we lose this one. I can understand Link going back to Cooper at Suncorp as a win will take a little bit of pressure off him and the whole squad.

Unless Cooper has a blinder I'll be surprised if To'omua doesn't get an opportunity to start another test in the Rugby Championship.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Izzy to 15 and Quade to 10 gives the Qantas Hahn Super Dry Castrol Swiss Kooga Wallabies a more attacking threat with ball in hand. Hopefully Izzy isn't afraid to bring his kicking game into play, didn't take responsibility often enough for the Tahs.

Here's hoping for the Honey Badger to feature prominently pre and post match, I'm dying to here what sayings he has thought up for test week. One could say I'm as excited as a Rooty Hill RSL member when a prominent MP (Moana Pasifika) stops in to talk about the latest immigration hardline they are taking.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's tinfoil hat stuff.

To'omua got the first chance because he was the form Australian 10 throughout Super Rugby.

The last part maybe, but not throwing Quade to the Wolfs wasn't... Im sure it would have been a career killer...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I can turn this around and say putting QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 and MT on the bench, cooper could be a sacrificial lamb to get the best out of To'omua.

The last part of my statement wasn't really my thoughts just a thought. But if Quade played and failed against the all blacks it would have been very hard to pick him again.. Which I think is part of the reason To'omua got the gig and on form he probably should have as well. But I would have played him this week too.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would have kept To'omua, but Quade does have a very good record against the Saffers. And I think he deserves a shot to prove he has what it takes to lead the side around.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bokkes look good. Sharks front row is always good, two good locks, pretty good back row, great halves pairing, great centres, great wingers. Bench will rip men apart.

Wallabies look good too, glad to see the Honey Badger back in it. Kepu deserves the start easily. Hopefully Simmons can lock down the 4 jersey, he's been good in the bledisloes. Really want more from Mowen, he hasn't played like an 8 and it's obvious.
Not shocked with Genia's inclusion, but I'd give him one or two games off to recover if he's poor. Let's hope Cooper rips them apart. Folau will be good wherever we play him, and while I wish Mogg got a chance against a team that couldn't shut him down so easily, I understand why he was benched.

Centre pairing is the best part of this. 6 tests in a row, the well-rounded 12 and the second best 13 in the south. Much like the two Brumbies-Bulls games this year, I expect a lot will come down to the boots of Steyn and Lealiifano, but the forwards will be the ones to set them up.

I'm not confident, I think South Africa looks good, very good. First scrum decides nothing, South Africa will be trying to rip them apart all night. Two tall locks in the lineout and a great thrower/lineout general. Solid defense and two wingers who just dance through defensive lines. A bench that is just as good as the players they are coming on for.

South Africa by 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.