• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australia vs South Africa - Brisbane 7th Sept 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Fuck thats a good forward pack the Bokke have got. You guys are going to have to really man up in that part to get even close to parity.

However, your backline is worth about 25 points vs the Bokke one - which frankly I think blows badly. Decent defensively, but Habane excepted, where are the tries coming from - perhaps a JdV intercept?

Zane Kirchner is not an international class footballer - must be somebody better, MUST BE.

Suncorp... Cooper back to pull the strings... I'm picking 30-28 score to the Wobs. 4 tries, 2 conversions, 2 penalties, vs 7 penalties and a JdV converted intercept try.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
However, your backline is worth about 25 points vs the Bokke one - which frankly I think blows badly. Decent defensively, but Habane excepted, where are the tries coming from - perhaps a JdV intercept?

Meyer is actually gradually introducing more attack-minded players into the backline - Willie le Roux and JJ Engelbrecht both know how to find their way to the try line.

Kirchner though....one step forward, two steps back. :mad:

Reactions: ACR

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Kirchner over Lambie says to me they're going to hoof the ball downfield all night long, and our back three tells me that's exactly what link expects.

Unless Meyer is playing the ultimate bluff and has told Kirchner to run the ball?! Nah...

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Why's JOC (James O'Connor) been selected on the left wing AGAIN when he normally plays on the other side? His left side defence this year's been crap so far.

Haven't watched many Force games this year (or last year, or the year before), what side does the HB prefer?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why's JOC (James O'Connor) been selected on the left wing AGAIN when he normally plays on the other side? His left side defence this year's been crap so far.

Haven't watched many Force games this year (or last year, or the year before), what side does the HB prefer?
Honey Badger dont care what side he defends on he will rip it up like a Dog chewing on the kitchen lino.......but in his last Force game he was on the Left Wing.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
RE Cooper:

It's rather obvious isn't it? He would've been under immense pressure v the Blicks, and To'omua was clearly the in form 10 and deserved the spot. Kills two birds with one stone: Avoid Cooper getting targetted and ccused of being shit even if he played well, and gave To'omua the chance to debut. His style of game is much more suited to the All Blacks than Cooper is, IE play the percentages and be more of a link in the chain.

Cooper is playing against the Boks for a few reasons: The Boks have no idea how to effectively contain him, and its pretty clear that we're going to run the boks off their feet, sideline to sideline stuff. It's the best way to beat the Boks, and Cooper is the flyhalf most suited to this gameplan. We're also playing at Suncorp, and Cooper is much more likely to have the crowd up on their feet than To'omua.

Against NZ, you need to be much more clinical and try less risky things, because NZ will punish any mistake you make, whereas the Boks are less likely to pounce on a ball spilling out the side of the ruck and counter-attack 70 metres for a try.

It's a no brainer. I really do hope that Mogg gets a lot of gametime in this match as well, as his running game would be much more effective against the Boks.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'd guess that Cooper will have less time to get the backline firing than To'omua otherwise might. More will be expected of Cooper this weekend than in To'omua's first two tests (particularly as the opposition is weaker).

I think a win for the Wallabies this weekend is very important. It's going to be a very long Rugby Championship if we lose this one. I can understand Link going back to Cooper at Suncorp as a win will take a little bit of pressure off him and the whole squad.

Unless Cooper has a blinder I'll be surprised if To'omua doesn't get an opportunity to start another test in the Rugby Championship.

I expect Cooper to get this test and the next one, then the best performed of the two to be picked in the last two of the RC.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Cummins was playing right wing on the EOYT last year (particularly against England), if I remember correctly.
Yeah, he played 14 against England/Wales/Italy (and back on debut against the Argies) when Digby or Drew was on the other wing.

He played 11 against NZ and France, when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was put into 14.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bokkes look good. Sharks front row is always good, two good locks, pretty good back row, great halves pairing, great centres, great wingers. Bench will rip men apart.

Wallabies look good too, glad to see the Honey Badger back in it. Kepu deserves the start easily. Hopefully Simmons can lock down the 4 jersey, he's been good in the bledisloes. Really want more from Mowen, he hasn't played like an 8 and it's obvious.
Not shocked with Genia's inclusion, but I'd give him one or two games off to recover if he's poor. Let's hope Cooper rips them apart. Folau will be good wherever we play him, and while I wish Mogg got a chance against a team that couldn't shut him down so easily, I understand why he was benched.

Centre pairing is the best part of this. 6 tests in a row, the well-rounded 12 and the second best 13 in the south. Much like the two Brumbies-Bulls games this year, I expect a lot will come down to the boots of Steyn and Lealiifano, but the forwards will be the ones to set them up.

I'm not confident, I think South Africa looks good, very good. First scrum decides nothing, South Africa will be trying to rip them apart all night. Two tall locks in the lineout and a great thrower/lineout general. Solid defense and two wingers who just dance through defensive lines. A bench that is just as good as the players they are coming on for.

South Africa by 11.
I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wallabies by 55 now. Cant see us winning this one.

A close game then. :)

The Wobs tight 5 will need to be on their absolute top form, otherwise the selected Bokke will rip into them with the same vigour that an 18 year old Schoolie rips into an open bar at Schoolies week on the Gold Coast.

As we all know, Rugby is won by forwards, with the backs determining the how big the victory will be. That is a formidable pack that the Saffers will run out with at Suncorp.

I'm excited!

PommyPowerhouse3

Frank Nicholson (4)
thats a good forward pack the Bokke have got. You guys are going to have to really man up in that part to get even close to parity.
It is and there scrum will dominate because of the new scrum laws because the law was tested for a long time in South Africa. The Aussie backs have to much class for the Boks. Also with Folau at fullback will also add yet another strong attacking option but I would still like to see Mogg get some game time he is going to be very good in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.