• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

straightshooter

Think made mistake re 13 - from ACT - longish hair bit of red - he was good.

Qld boys were coached well and just seemed to play as a team (a bit more than the other sides) - bit of passion as well !!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah Jake Holland - looks like a Ryan Cross type in more ways than one.

Hope he gets to be as good.

O

Overseer

The Qld reserves had as much class as the run on team - Caden Matta something kicked brilliantly when he came on for the 10 and the no 19 Slipper seemed to do much more work around the paddock than the guy he replaced i the 2nd half and looked very solid at the breakdown. James may was also very impressive but I suppose you can't have them all in the team.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
AD - have just seen your post of 7th August. Thanks for that. Interesting that the article said that he had been picked for the EOYT already which sounds a bit suss. Not that he wouldn't be going on form - but I don't think that anybody has been picked officially for that squad.

I wondered why 2 lots of 23 boys had been chosen for Oz and Oz A this year when it is normally just XV for the ones and XXIII for the twos - with the best twos players getting a gig on the bench for the ones after they had played against a visiting team before the "test". But I guess the selectors will be casting a wider net for an EOYT.

Last time they went, in 2005, they took 28 players. I've just looked up my files. That team included present Wallabies Pocock, Cooper and Turner and present Super 14 players Beale, Lealiifano, Sievert, Va'alu, Wykes and Lucas.

What will I be saying in 4 years time? Wouldn't be surprised if Luke got a mention.

Chosen - thanks for that. I have written something about the item on the Force thread.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If anybody is interested: Oz A Schools are playing Tongan Schools at the Shore Northbridge ground this afternoon. It starts at 2pm so that folks can get home in time to watch the test match.

23 players were picked a while back for this match and there may be a few changes because of injuries since then.

I'm looking forward to watching Curtis Browning who was in the Qld Ones team this year though only 16. He played lock but looks like he will be a natural 8 as a senior. Another is backrower Usaia O'Sullivan who was not available for NSW Schools this year because of an injury in the trials, but who IMO would have been in the Oz Schools Ones if he had been.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oz A Schools 60 Tongan Schools 6 HT 29-3

Oz A were just too strong across the park today and especially in the backline. Although the visitors had quite a bit of territory and possession in the 2nd half there were too many breakout Oz movements from deep that cut the scrambling Tongans to shreds.

The Tongans were good on the pick and drive and had an excellent 12 Viliami Puafisi who had educated feet and a good long kicking game, but basically the visitors didn't have the cattle the home team had. They had a long session attacking the Oz line in the second half with the crowd behind them but the Oz tacklers kept getting under them and eventually the knock on came.

Their cause wasn't helped by their 6 getting a red card for stomping in the first half but the writing was on the wall before that.

It wasn't all beer and skittles for Oz A as you could see they hadn't played together before and just when they were getting cohesion at oranges all the 8 reserves came on for the 2nd half - which is fair enough. Then once that lot settled down they combined well for several long range tries feeding off Tongan mistakes.

It's hard to say who played well for Oz A Schools because it was the kind of match where just about everybody looked good, but 15 Mitchell Felsman must have put his hand up for the Schools EOYT. He looked like a Ones player but since they have two fine fullbacks he may have to play on the wing. And except for his first kick his goal kicking was terrific.

I watched lock Curtis Browning for a while because I thought, as a 16 year old, he had a top schools tournament. He certainly is a goer and we should look for him playing for the Reds in a few years time - but as a no.8. And there was nothing wrong either with the Oz A no. 8 today Nathan Paila from Victoria. Another Victorian, 7 Jack DeGuingand the skipper, had a top match also. He's a clone of the Oz Ones 7, Liam Gill. Watch out for these 2 boys in the Victorian Academy in a year or two.

This was my first time at Shore, Northbridge, since the stand was completed there. It is an impressive structure and is called the Hawker Stand after one of their famous rugby sons Michael Hawker - not after an old boy salesman - though Hawker sold a few dummies in his day, come to think of it.

I hope we see some of the smart tries we saw from the boys in gold today against Samoa, by the men in gold against the All Blacks tonight. There were some doozies.

T

TOCC

on the ARU website they said that there was a crowd of 2'100 watching this match, how accurate would that be?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Probably about right - not nearly as much as a big school game, including boys from the schools.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Mitch Felsman is a class act. He's in the same club U17 team as Son No 3. Also selected in the same Brisbane City U17 rep squad with him but Mitch has pulled out due to more pressing commitments. Great swerve, pace and kicking game. Once he's got a bit of space he's gone.

Would have to be a strong contender for the tour - competing with Kimami Sitauti (who had a real good game in the Brisbane Premier Grade Final - yes, seniors), Chris Sautia, Simon Morahan, Some Au'uva, Liam Law and others.

C

chief

Lance Free said:
Mitch Felsman is a class act. He's in the same club U17 team as Son No 3. Also selected in the same Brisbane City U17 rep squad with him but Mitch has pulled out due to more pressing commitments. Great swerve, pace and kicking game. Once he's got a bit of space he's gone.

Would have to be a strong contender for the tour - competing with Kimami Sitauti (who had a real good game in the Brisbane Premier Grade Final - yes, seniors), Chris Sautia, Simon Morahan, Some Au'uva, Liam Law and others.

I didn't think he had a excellent game yesterday (Kimani,) seemed a bit afraid to be tackled at time, and ran away from the forwards after he broke the line. He certainly does have massive potential, and certainly did warrant a selection, but let's not get to far ahead of ourselves so quickly. But Mitch Felsman, I do rate him, a very good player, watched him a few times and I just love where he positions himself, so quick, not predictable either. A fullback that I just love to see.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I couldn't post this on Saturday because the forum was down

Oz Schools 83 Tonga Schools 18

It was a disappointing contest as the score indicates, but it gave the lads a good hit out before the Kiwi games coming up.

There must have been some injuries as 15 Woodhouse and 8 Ika weren't in the 23. Their places in the 23 were taken by Felsman and O'Sullivan.

Because Tonga presented too many opportunities it was a scrappy affair and one had no hope of making an assessment of who played well, or who would be the best players to start against he Kiwis later on. Excellent players like Luke Jones and Liam Gill looked as good as anybody else but you know they are going to be superior in the harder games to come.

Nevertheless it was good to see 205cms Greg Peterson playing like a Dan Vickerman and Luke Jones like a Rocky Elsom and Kimami Sitauti like Lote Tuqiri, though not passing as much as he should. Scrummie Nick Stirzacker had a top game also and seems to have a pass that will serve him well as a senior player.

I didn't pick Rohan Saifoloi to be the no.1 flyhalf in the 23 but he played well and had to understate his hand to let the guys outside him shine, but every now and then he cut loose - and the same could be said about "Zacker".

A good hit out then and although these lads hadn't played together before, they looked as though they had.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
spectator said:
Ballymore the place to be next Friday 9th after work. OZ v. NZ schoolboys, looking forward to it.

Will look forward to your report speckie.

AUSTRALIAN STARTING TEAM TO PLAY NZ SCHOOLS 9TH OCTOBER 2009 AT BALLYMORE
(with my jersey numbering)

1 Jack Kimmince The Southport School QLD
2 Hugh Roach Newington College NSW
3 Paul Alo-Emile Brisbane State High School QLD
4 Luke Jones St Pius X College NSW
5 Greg Peterson The Scots College NSW
6 Jordan Tuapou Brisbane State High School QLD
7 Liam Gill St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLD
8 Nathan Paila Hallam Senior College, VIC
9 Nick Stirzaker Knox Grammar School NSW
10 Rohan Saifoloi Brisbane State High School QLD
11 Kimamai Situata St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
12 Tyson Frizell Illawarra SHS NSW
13 Tom Kingston St Aloysius' College NSW
14 Chris Feauai Brisbane State High School QLD
15 Jacob Woodhouse The Scots College NSW
15 Mitchell Felsman Iona College QLD

Notes
- 15 - I'm guessing that Felsman is added to the 15 in case Woodhouse doesn't recover from his injury. Felsman was outstanding for Oz A against Tonga at Northbridge and his selection as 16th man means that he has leapfrogged Simon Morahan who is demoted to the As.

- 8 - Matt Ika was injured prior to the test at Riverview and Setu took his place. He played OK in my book, but Paila was a real goer for the whole game for Oz A and the selectors obviously appreciate his work rate. Setu is listed for Oz A

- 13 - Kingston suffered in a problematic NSW backline in the Oz Schoolboys tournament. He made the Oz A team anyway and had a top game for them last week. He jumps over Jake Holland.

- 14 - "Feauai" seems to be a variation, or mis-spelling, of "Sautia".

AUSTRALIA A SQUAD TO PLAY NZ SCHOOLS 5TH OCTOBER 2009 AT TSS

1 Finlay Bealam St Edmunds College ACT
2 Ross Marais The Southport School QLD
2 Nick Turner Emmanuel College QLD
3 Joe Welch St Ignatius' College NSW
3/1 Marcus Heather Endeavour SHS NSW
4/5 Curtis Browning Brisbane State High School QLD
4/5 Angus Hamilton Scotch College, VIC
4/5 Steve Cummins Hills SHS NSW
6 Usaia O'Sullivan Trinity Grammar School NSW
7 Jack De Guingand St Kevin’s College, VIC
7 Zach Fell St Edward's Gosford NSW
8 Waita Setu St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
8/1 Scott Sio Trinity Grammar School NSW
9 Ruka Hanlon The Southport School QLD
9 Matt Lucas St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace QLD
10 Kyle Godwin Aquinas College, WA
10/12 Rodney Esekia Chandler College, VIC
11 Matt Garland Brisbane State High School QLD
12 Peter Gilmour Shore NSW
12 Krisome Au’uva Ipswich Grammar School QLD
13 Jake Holland St. Edmunds College ACT
14 Liam Law Ipswich Grammar School QLD
15 Simon Morahan The Southport School QLD

Omitted

1 Richard Quigley The Scots College NSW
2 Joe O’Regan Brisbane State High School QLD
3 Tom Lamont St Joseph's College NS
4/5 Ted Postal St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
4/5 Nick Curtis Knox Grammar School NSW
9 Jack Rowntree St Augustine's College NSW
10 Cayden Matehaere St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD
11 Damien Cooke Illawarra SHS NSW

Injured

8 Matt Ika Brisbane State High School QLD

Notes

- 12 - Peter Gilmour was injured this winter and didn't play in the national tournament - but is big bruiser who is hard to stop and was in the Oz A team last year.

- This team will play the NZ Schools dirt trackers, though a lot of the Kiwi Ones will come on in the 2nd half and lift them noticeably.

- Seven players from the above 23, plus Felsman, will be on the bench for the test match on Saturday. If Woodhouse can't play in the test, then Felsman will start and an additional A player will join the bench.

- These 23 will form the backbone of the EOYT squad. Typically, another 5 will tour and 2 of them could be 8 Jarrad Butler and 7 Michael Hooper if they have recovered sufficiently from their operations in time. Butler was in the Oz Schools team last year and Hooper in the A team.

C

chief

While Chris Sautia had to have his last name changed because Sautia is his fathers last name and he is not an Australian citizen. While his mother is. I believe it is something like that.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Liammm said:
Joe O'Regan reserve hooker, has Pneumonia so that pretty much has him ruled out of the tour, and the Australia A match.

While Chris Sautia had to have his last name changed because Sautia is his fathers last name and he is not an Australian citizen. While his mother is. I believe it is something like that.

Thanks for that info. I actually sat next to Chris' proud dad one day in the nationals schools tournament and asked him if his talented son would stay with rugby union and he laughed and said that he was pretty sure that he would. I didn't realise then that he had another year at school to go in 2010.

When I saw the name in the programme last Saturday I thought they had made a mistake as he looked like the Chris S. I had seen in the tournament. The name change has done all rugby posters a favour as the similarity in names of the Queensland and Oz Schools wingers Sitauti and Sautia would have fooled a lot of posters to rugby forums in the future, as they have already fooled me a couple of times.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Is Hugh Roach another Steve offspring?

No, Blocker's boys went to Riverview, Hugh goes to Newington. It's difficult to imagine a mungo calling his lad "Hugh".

Status
Not open for further replies.