• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Agreed SLV, what should have been the high point of their rugby careers to date looks like being very deflating for a few of the nsw 1 boys. Did Hardaker get much game time today and if so, was it at IC? The limited video footage I saw was buffered and hard to make out, but seemed like it may have been Woodcock at IC?

Hardaker had a miserable tournament. His passing was woeful today and majority of the time did not find the player and went to ground . A couple of times today Albert Hopoate was in open space if the ball found its mark. But yes I suggest he did nothing to date (this tournament) to warrant selection in either two Aussie teams.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Another selection mystery - Matt Minogue (not listed in the Shadow Squad) looks to have been brought in to the NSW 2 side in place of Charlie Savala (injured yesterday). Great news for Matt, but once again - the mind boggles!

Really?
Someone posted that Savala did not play in any of the trials for selection.
If that's true its appropriate that he should replaced with someone other than his shadow.
:rolleyes:

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hardaker had a miserable tournament. His passing was woeful today and majority of the time did not find the player and went to ground . A couple of times today Albert Hopoate was in open space if the ball found its mark. But yes I suggest he did nothing to date (this tournament) to warrant selection in either two Aussie teams.

Agreed.

He looked like a kid trying to score off every play today. Looked like he was trying to make up for the lack of game time by doing a miracle play on every ball. It was only his second full half of rugby. Amazing stuff for the first selected inside centre to have such little time, Forces the player into a do or die attitude to get a chance of selection.

Probably didn't help they shifted him across to 13 as well with Woodcock back on at 12.

Amazing that he has been the most dominant 12 in NSW this year, outplaying every 12 he has played against, but he has a coach blow up all the confidence he had built this year in less than a week. Waverley will need to build him back up before their next encounter no doubt.

Maybe a cunning plan from the Barker coach as Waverley play Barker next week?

I am looking forward to seeing how he responds.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Really?
Someone posted that Savala did not play in any of the trials for selection.
If that's true its appropriate that he should replaced with someone other than his shadow.
:rolleyes:

Both Billy Smith and Savala were injured at time of nsw team selection. Both failed medical and then given extra time . What a joke with Smith , comes on for 10 minutes 2nd half Monday and running on one leg. Next day pulls out of tournament due to injury sustained to his ankle. MODS - DELETED - THE PLAYER DID NOT SELECT HIMSELF SO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WRITE That selection is a joke as it left a player with equal ability out of nsw 1's who rightfully should have been selected but what occurred is a player is brought in who was not even a shadow for the shadows .... the medical team for nsw have some questions to be answered for allowing smith to even enter the field for training let alone the field for a game , 10 minutes pfft what a joke ! Same as Savala his replacement too not even a shadow for shadows if there was one named. lol. I believe the replacent came from coaches school ! Be very interesting to see if bill smith be right for the remainder of GPS games, I bet 100% he does not return due to nature and type of ankle injury that nsw medical staff failed to diagnose or simply turned a blind eye for a players selfish desire. That's my say , trying not to be direct but no other way of saying it and calling it for what it is .

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Both Billy Smith and Savala were injured at time of nsw team selection. Both failed medical and then given extra time . What a joke with Smith , comes on for 10 minutes 2nd half Monday and running on one leg. Next day pulls out of tournament due to injury sustained to his ankle. MODS - DELETED - THE PLAYER DID NOT SELECT HIMSELF SO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WRITE That selection is a joke as it left a player with equal ability out of nsw 1's who rightfully should have been selected but what occurred is a player is brought in who was not even a shadow for the shadows .. the medical team for nsw have some questions to be answered for allowing smith to even enter the field for training let alone the field for a game , 10 minutes pfft what a joke ! Same as Savala his replacement too not even a shadow for shadows if there was one named. lol. I believe the replacent came from coaches school ! Be very interesting to see if bill smith be right for the remainder of GPS games, I bet 100% he does not return due to nature and type of ankle injury that nsw medical staff failed to diagnose or simply turned a blind eye for a players selfish desire. That's my say , trying not to be direct but no other way of saying it and calling it for what it is .
Note this above. Everyone.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You can't blame the kids: it puts them within reach of a dream.
I can tell you kids were ruled out of AAGPS sides on the basis of a physio examination.
1's were "training" right in front of me on the Sunday after the teams were named: Savala was on one leg at the time so Im not sure how he got through the AAGPS medical - coach's influence?
Reading this thread with no skin in the game it seems to me that, as ever, the adults have let this tournament define them rather than letting the kids be the focus.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Rachet,

What I have seen this year in particular, and last year, was perhaps the most brilliant attacking IC I have seen for decades.

Brooklyn H. is truly unbelievable but was butchered in this tournament.
He and Ben Donaldson at Waverley have put away most of the Sydney GPS teams this year by 50+. Clearly with an unbelievable forward pack, but their brilliance is what what makes school boy rugby, the best.

He has had no real time at this tournament and therefore no connection to his team mate at no 10 .

I have just read Sidelines comments above and SLV is completely spot on.

I now can't wait for the rest of our comp to resume, SLV, I think you know where I am coming from.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Rumour has it that the Australian Schoolboys side has all but been picked already. Having seen a number of games over the past week, I believe here will be quite a few surprises.

As a NSW supporter, Angus Bell, in my opinion played himself into a spot on the team while others played themelves out of the teams.

In my opinion, the N2 half back (unsure of name sorry - can someone help?) was the best 9 on the day beforehand he went off injured.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Rumour has it that the Australian Schoolboys side has all but been picked already. Having seen a number of games over the past week, I believe here will be quite a few surprises.

As a NSW supporter, Angus Bell, in my opinion played himself into a spot on the team while others played themelves out of the teams.

In my opinion, the N2 half back (unsure of name sorry - can someone help?) was the best 9 on the day beforehand he went off injured.

Angus Bell(Prop) has been outstanding. Is he in year 11 as well? A great prospesct.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Rachet,

What I have seen this year in particular, and last year, was perhaps the most brilliant attacking IC I have seen for decades.

He and Ben Donaldson at Waverley have put away most of the Sydney GPS teams this year by 50+. Clearly with an unbelievable forward pack, but their brilliance is what what makes school boy rugby, the best.

He has had no real time at this tournament and therefore no connection to his team mate at no 10 .

I now can't wait for the rest of our comp to resume, SLV, I think you know where I am coming from.
Some motivation for you by the sounds of things?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Rachet,

Sorry Rachet, I was agreeing with the comments made by William88.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Rachet,

So why were the NSW 1 and NSW 2 teams so different in bonding . I hear plenty of complaints here how the 1s played and bonded but I don't think u will hear that about the Nsw 2s team even with Smith and Savala there ,I think that tells u something.Teamates obviously respect Smith and Savala ,as for Nsw 1 s this has already been seen by the in house fighting . No surprise to see this in their performance today .

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

noregrets,

I can help, his name is Marco Bell (Waverley College), and plenty of people have said the same (non related). There is no doubt his speed to the breakdown and passing/directing the game plan has been way above anyone else. Many people think that when Marco, Angus Bell and Finn Wright were taken off the field yesterday v ACT that is when the tide turned and we lost.Prior to that NSW 2 was in complete control up 29-12.

Many believe his ability will be recognized in a school boys 2017 team.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I'll hazard a guess they'd come from the same school as his preferred lock and winger:)

Ouch!
No, I just don't think we'll be seeing a NSWelshman in the 10 shirt for Australia this year.
But surprised that you don't believe that Williams and Yassmin have had good tournaments.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Having watched both NSW v QLD games today the NSW teams were totally off their game and the 1's looked like they only had to go through the motions to get the win.
QLD were more hungry in both games but specifically QLD 2's who kept coming all day. The 8, 9, 11 and 14 were pacticularly strong for QLD 2. Weak defence from a 5 metre scrum and then another try straight from the kick-off hurt NSW 1 and gave QLD 2 a sniff.
NSW were very predictable in the backs and kept running the same plays with out the back cut passes which QLD were able to drift and easily cover the last attacker. Donaldson tried hard but Hardaker definitely out of sorts and played outside centre when he was on. Woodcock offered nothing and the 13 also struggled. The ball needed to go to both wingers earlier who both took the limited opportunities they had.
Rorke sorely missed for his go forward running but the 20 had a good game getting a few turnovers at the breakdown.
A lot of rumours about the coaching on this thread but as previously mentioned this tournament is about giving those kids who have been selected an opportunity to play for their state and push for a gold jersey. It should not be hijacked by coaches or parents with their own agenda's.

Nightstalker

Bob McCowan (2)
Qld 1 staff are giving their inside backs every opportunity to make Australian sides
I don't think the 9 has missed more the 10 mins, the 10 the same ( only when injured) the 12 has played every minute, the 13 all but 30 mins
And the 15 hasn't missed a minute
All this despite being the most lack lustre backline in the comp
But the wingers are in good rotation with all the back reserves having a run there for their bare minimum time allocation
The forwards are not much different, reserve second rower heard saying if played minutes equalled dollars, he couldnt afford his strapping, good that he can still make light of it, but the bench of that team is rightly (i believe)very very disillusioned with the opportunities given

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I think far too much has been said about Smith (and Savala).

Let's not forget they could very well read this stuff and they are still 'kids'. Well young men really.

I spoke briefly to Billy today and he was putting on a brave face, but you could tell he was gutted to have not been able to take full part on this tournament.

IMO he would have to have been a very good chance of making the final 46. And now he won't be able to due injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.