• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ben Mowen survives alleged mutiny plot.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
AScrubber really dont klniow what your angle is here... I fact Mowen is a popular guy... he has also played well this tour... Horwill wasnt a good captain in recent times and failed to communictae with the ref furthermore failed to pull players into line off the field often... and Genia isnt captain material he is best focusing on his game too.. His form has been patchy... Mowen isnt flusted abotu beihng a leader on teh field and making the calls...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
AScrubber really dont klniow what your angle is here. I fact Mowen is a popular guy. he has also played well this tour. Horwill wasnt a good captain in recent times and failed to communictae with the ref furthermore failed to pull players into line off the field often. and Genia isnt captain material he is best focusing on his game too.. His form has been patchy. Mowen isnt flusted abotu beihng a leader on teh field and making the calls.

Mate sounds like you been at the cricket too long today :) But I tend to agree with you :)

M

Muttonbird

Of course, (Mowen) will face incredible pressure from Palu and Higgers upon their return just to make the run-on side.
It should be noted that neither of those two could captain their way out of a paper bag. Meanwhile, Mowen provides real captaincy when no-one else in the team is fit for the job, including Horwill. It should also be noted Higginbotham has disciplinary problems and Palu is made of glass.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Bit of Tribalism here on the Mowen issue - sorry guys.

Even as a Reds supporter, Personally I don't think Horwill Genia are particularly good captains - I personally would like to see Moore given a shot. Yep, a Brumby. Yeah,yeah I know he's still a Queenslander - well, so is Mowen

His position in the team is certain, he puts in huge games and generally plays 70 minutes

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully when the June tests come around, Link picks his best starting XV and if Mowen is in that side, he is captain. If Mowen isn't in that side then you need to look at which other potential captains are.

From what we have seen, Mowen is a better captain than Horwill, Genia or Pocock.

I don't think anyone is a good enough captain to get a starting spot if their form doesn't warrant it. That can be feasible to an extent in cricket where the captain plays a far greater role, but doesn't work in rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It should be noted that neither of those two could captain their way out of a paper bag. Meanwhile, Mowen provides real captaincy when no-one else in the team is fit for the job, including Horwill. It should also be noted Higginbotham has disciplinary problems and Palu is made of glass.

Higginbotham still needs to bring his Super rugby form to test level and prove that he's not just going to be Australia's answer to Adam Thomson.........

Despite all this talk that he'll waltz straight back into the Wallaby side we shouldn't forget that after 23 caps his test form leaves a lot to be desired....... in fact, he's never really performed better in gold than the guys who were playing this year........

And he should really only be considered for the 8 jersey where he's played his best super rugby, but he has stiff competition from Palu who is a proven test performer, but as you said is made of glass.........

Still, it leaves us with 2 good options in every position:

6. Fardy/Mowen
7. Hooper/Pocock
8. Palu/Higginbotham

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Bit of Tribalism here on the Mowen issue - sorry guys.

Even as a Reds supporter, Personally I don't think Horwill Genia are particularly good captains - I personally would like to see Moore given a shot. Yep, a Brumby. Yeah,yeah I know he's still a Queenslander - well, so is Mowen

His position in the team is certain, he puts in huge games and generally plays 70 minutes

Mowens a Queenslander too... But I find Moore a bit abrupt and I posted on another thread squeaky did himself no favors when he wanted to kick it out and Gits told him to f off..

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
The fact that the Wallabies have under achieved in the recent years and players have lost focus has nothing to do with what the start up Brumbies did in the 90s. thats one point OZ rugby fans need to move on from, stop looking to the past to justify poor behavour and results now.

I agree that it is time to move past it. It was something that worked at the time with that group under those circumstances. The fact that people don't look back and try and understand that, is why that culture has long outlived its usefulness and success.

My point is that what makes sense to me of some very confusing reports is that we have not moved past it and McKenzie is actually drawing a line on it, no matter how illogical that might be within the current team culture and practices.

It is an interesting aspect that McKenzie was part of that Brumbies group (or is my memory failing me?)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Where has anyone said they don't like the bloke, the only person I've heard talk about him is Nic White and he said his a great Captain. Oh and James Horwill say there good mates so they will work well together anyway (I know he could just be saying that..)

He may well have pressure from the team next year but his now the incumbent 6/8 player .. Yeah he got his chance because Higgers was injured but if his in as good form as the other guys next year he will get the nod to start.

It's good problem to have but I think people seem to think Higgers, Palu and Pocock will walk back in there going to have to earn it.

EDIT: Noticed you said under incredible pressure, but so will those 2

Think he was talking about Moore.

I have also heard he isn't that popular.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Really, isn't it just conjecture? Unless you're one of the players, who's to say who's liked and who's not. Otherwise you're just buying into hack rugby journo's gossip.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I agree that it is time to move past it. It was something that worked at the time with that group under those circumstances. The fact that people don't look back and try and understand that, is why that culture has long outlived its usefulness and success.

My point is that what makes sense to me of some very confusing reports is that we have not moved past it and McKenzie is actually drawing a line on it, no matter how illogical that might be within the current team culture and practices.

It is an interesting aspect that McKenzie was part of that Brumbies group (or is my memory failing me?)

You’re speaking of a time when rugby went from amateur to professional... its got nothing with 2013 or McKenzie as a Wallabies coach and yes he played with the Brumbies in the early days... Larkham as said the same about his coaching and past that it was a transitional period between pro and amateur and is very different today...

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
agree time to move on towards 2014 - with Ben Mowen - time will tell, as it always does

shit it is boring now that rugby has finished for the year

T

TOCC

Mowens a Queenslander too. But I find Moore a bit abrupt and I posted on another thread squeaky did himself no favors when he wanted to kick it out and Gits told him to f off..

So is Genia, Moore, Horwill, Quade, Higginbotham and even Pocock went to school in QLD...

Dennis is the odd one out of super rugby/wallaby captains who isn't from Queensland.

Status
Not open for further replies.