• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, Wellington, 27 August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Gee I think in the vast majority of games I've watched the 10 is ALWAYS under pressure when exiting. Most are up to it. It is his job. He chooses whether to kick it or not, based on whether it is likely or not likely to be charged down. Foley's kick was just another example of HIS poor execution.

Obviously it was also the forwards who made TK drop the fucking pill in contact, twice I think.

I am OK with the forwards taking their share of a loss but plenty of credit must be attributable to the mighty backs
I don't think Fatprop was excusing the backs. But if the pack is so ineffectual, you will never, ever beat the ABs regardless of the backs. Because they will be under intense pressure and shut down. Neither group did well. The relentless focus on the backs and blithe disregard for the forwards in this thread is quite odd.

Saxter

Stan Wickham (3)
Dear Mr Cheika. I'm hearing QC (Quade Cooper) at 12?? Please, please DO NOT do this. This man will be subjected to pathetic & classless booing let alone putting him in a new position. Not sure why this is being reported. Surely it can't be true?! There's a young bloke with an old head called Hodge that should be slotted in here. Play QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 if you must. Fingers crossed...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think Fatprop was excusing the backs. But if the pack is so ineffectual, you will never, ever beat the ABs regardless of the backs. Because they will be under intense pressure and shut down. Neither group did well. The relentless focus on the backs and blithe disregard for the forwards in this thread is quite odd.

I think they can see a possible solution in the backs. Eg. Cooper for Foley.

It's more difficult for the forwards. Only rookies to choose from. Eg. Drop Simmons for Coleman - probably still won't do much as I don't think anyone here would expect Coleman to come out and be anything more then be solid/average. No way he'll be able to match Whitelock / Rettalick.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think they can see a possible solution in the backs. Eg. Cooper for Foley.

It's more difficult for the forwards. Only rookies to choose from. Eg. Drop Simmons for Coleman - probably still won't do much as I don't think anyone here would expect Coleman to come out and be anything more then be solid/average. No way he'll be able to match Whitelock / Rettalick.

I get that. I'd like to see Cooper get a go, too. The relentless repetition gets a tad boring, I suppose. And expecting a different outcome in the W/L column if we see a similar forward display is naive.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Read beat Hooper to that first lineout because he was two feet in front of Hooper and the throw wasn't close to going over him, not because Hooper is short.

Cant agree: at least one reason why the ball had the thrown so low - low enough for Read to get it - was that Hooper's hands would always be a foot lower than a proper jumper's.
The only alternative is to lob it over Read and, no doubt, they's pick that off because of its hang time.
if we are at the point of defending having a hobbit jump (or be lifted) in a line out we're truly fucked.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wallabies great Stirling Mortlock on current team: Can't scrum, can't lineout, can't tackle, can't kick

"There's set piece issues, there's defence issues, there's breakdown issues, there's kicking issues . there's not many good things going on currently," Mortlock said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/.cant-scrum-cant-lineout-cant-tackle-cant-kick

Ah the ramblings of a great Wallaby BACK

What the fuck would he know about forward play !!!!

As a New Zealander, I must tell you, do not doubt the powers of the evil wizard Mortlock. Concealed within Canberra, the evil wizard sees all. His gaze pierces cloud, shadow, earth, and flesh. You know of what I speak, GAGR: a great bald head, hairless, wreathed in gleam.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies great Stirling Mortlock on current team: Can't scrum, can't lineout, can't tackle, can't kick

"There's set piece issues, there's defence issues, there's breakdown issues, there's kicking issues . there's not many good things going on currently," Mortlock said.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/.cant-scrum-cant-lineout-cant-tackle-cant-kick

Well he probably ran harder and stronger then any of our current forwards.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Hmm, you really think you need to be an expert to identify that the Wallabies sucked last week?

T

Tip

I don't understand where this consensus that our Piggies are the problem comes from?

Our forwards didn't have much at all to do with Haylett-Petty missing tackles, Kuridrani dropping the pill, or Foley being genuinely shithouse.

You could pin one try on Squeak for being a fat, over the hill numpty, but that's about it. You could also pin more on Squeaky for being a genuinely shit lineout thrower.

I'm not buying into this it's-all-Simmons-fault. I think you'll find these posters are the exact same posters who have been eating Foley's faeces straight from his clacker for the past 3 years, and look where it's gotten us.

The fish rots from the head. Chieka needs to change tactic and do a complete clean-out of his Teachers-Pet cupboard and get a whole new arsenal.
This means: Foley, Hooper, Moore - BENCH. If not dropped entirely. With Gits, To'omua & Horne injured, we don't have any more ball-playing options at 12. We know that Foley is terrible (a generous statement, i know) without a ball-playing 12.

If Chieka finds a magical reason to pick Foley-Hodge-Kuridrani this week, I'm taking a fucking hiatus until a new coach gets the job.

Just give me Cooper, Kerevi & Kuridrani. Kuridrani hasn't played well since Foley was installed at 10. There's simply no-one capable of throwing a face-ball to him in a gap at pace.

Our forwards aren't really the problem. We could fix our lineout and breakdowns quick smart by dropping Hooper & reinstating Fardy/ anyone else. Hooper doesn't hit rucks. For all his speed and talent playing in the wider channels, I didn't see him make one noteable run or any covering tackles on the weekend when the AIG's were scoring 48 points out wide.

FFS Take of the blue tinted glasses and see the sun cheiks. It's gold, just like the team you're coaching.

tragic

John Solomon (38)

Not much else to talk about cyclo.
Other than the pooper which has been done to death you could toss a coin between 4-8 and not alter the outcome. There's very little point of difference and it will come down to whether they get their shut together on the day.
I can post that 15 times between now and sat if you want but it doesn't make for very interesting reading.

Edit: looks like I have a kiwi spellchecker

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cant agree: at least one reason why the ball had the thrown so low - low enough for Read to get it - was that Hooper's hands would always be a foot lower than a proper jumper's.
The only alternative is to lob it over Read and, no doubt, they's pick that off because of its hang time.
if we are at the point of defending having a hobbit jump (or be lifted) in a line out we're truly fucked.

If the ball had made it as far as Hooper he would have caught it below head height from memory.

It wasn't the only lineout we lost by being too predictable and the All Blacks being able to intercept it well in front of our jumper.

I don't think our lineout issues were due to not having enough jumping options. We were slow and predictable and executed poorly.

Our lineout was better in the second half without our first choice hooker and lineout caller/jumper. At least one of those two players has now been dropped it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.