• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Blues v Brumbies - Friday 8 July 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don't think it's quite so simple HJ. It is either the difference between the last placed NZ side and the equal top Aus side, or it's the difference between a game plan that sets out to play winning rugby by scoring tries, and a plan that is designed to try not to lose the game. Unfortunately, the Brumbies just can't play that plan efficiently either.

The Brumbies game plan appears to revolve around slowing the flow of the game down, set piece dominance, gaining scrum penalties, kicking the penalty to the corner and scoring a mauling try from the lineout. It doesn't seem to be a strategy that will either win fans or win competitions.

The Blues have been the weakest NZ side all year, but they have still played an attacking style of rugby - plenty of ball movement, high speed and high intensity. Not only is it an attractive style of play, but as the ABs have proved, it's also a winning style of play. Next week we'll see the Brumbies play the weakest of the Aussie teams and the comparison between NZ and Aus rugby will be stark.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Poor handling, poor passing, poor everything from the Brumbies tonight.

Brumbies will battle to make the finals.

That is all.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Poor handling, poor passing, poor everything from the Brumbies tonight.

Brumbies will battle to make the finals.

That is all.
Thank goodness. It would be embarrassing playing the top teams in the other conferences at their home grounds.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Right, so if the blues don't score in the next passage of play, if the Blues pressure the Brumbies line for 2 or 3 minutes and then go over does he then go back and have a look?

Like i said, if the Refs are making so many bad decisions then get better referees, the current trend of TMO's intervening is overly intrusive on the game.

Its the touchies decision and they make none..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies were such a one dimensional team. On both attack and defence. Completely predictable, combined with poor skills - passing, tackling, handling.

They can fix the skills / execution next week but i'm afraid they will still be a one dimensional team - capable of breaking down weak opponent but will always struggle against any decent opposition with a decent game plan.

G

galumay

What a spanking! Bloos have just come out switched on and played accurate, fast and hugely entertaining, positive rugby. A richly deserved win from the cellar dwellers in the NZ conference (think about that!).

I really dont think the Bush Donkeys are as bad as they looked tonite, mentally they seemed to not really be 100% and the phyiscal dominance of the Bloos forwards seemed to sap any energy they had.

Its the realites of professional sport of this standard, a team that plays 5-10% better than their form, against a much higher ranked team that plays 5-10% worse than theirs, can pull off a big win.

Scary proposition for the NZ conference if the Bloos could carry that sort of form into next season - the consolation that at least one NZ team was at a similar level to the Aussie teams would be lost.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Right, so if the blues don't score in the next passage of play, if the Blues pressure the Brumbies line for 2 or 3 minutes and then go over does he then go back and have a look?

Like i said, if the Refs are making so many bad decisions then get better referees, the current trend of TMO's intervening is overly intrusive on the game.
Think of it as the advantage rule ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

G

galumay

How bout he thought it was out but didnt call it as it would ruin the run of play. But then the tries scored, and he thought how unfair if that guy was out .. lets have a look.. He obviously saw it.. but let play on as wasnt 100 percent sure.. You want him to blow the whistle say it was out and get it wrong..

Exactly. It was actually great refereeing - and advantaged the visiting team. In real time its not easy to make those decisions and no ref will get all of them right, all the time.

As you say, at least this way the flow of the game is allowed to continue and the error is set right at the next stoppage.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
Long time reader and former poster making a return.

Well done Blues you deserved your win. Disappointed as a Brumbies supporter, but that was comprehensive.

What disappoints me on this forum, and this thread in particular, is the negative and personal nature of a couple of posters to specific players. Same guys were largely absent from the thread for the last two games because they had no real opportunity to attack their favourite target(s).

Hoping for other results to go the right way and the Brumbies to bounce big next week.

Carn the Brumbies!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I do wonder if you're referring to me and my criticism about Toua....... but it's completely justified.

Not that the loss in any way can be pinned on him, but repeatedly (and poorly) kicking the ball back to the opposition with every touch sure doesn't help.

He's not a Super Rugby starter, unless you're playing the Sunwolves..........

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Long time reader and former poster making a return.

Well done Blues you deserved your win. Disappointed as a Brumbies supporter, but that was comprehensive.

What disappoints me on this forum, and this thread in particular, is the negative and personal nature of a couple of posters to specific players. Same guys were largely absent from the thread for the last two games because they had no real opportunity to attack their favourite target(s).

Hoping for other results to go the right way and the Brumbies to bounce big next week.

Carn the Brumbies!

Not sure how you can target any players specifically in this match, they were all poor,

Reactions: mst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought To'omua played well in a poor, poor, very poor team..........

Fardy worked hard and was bloodied and beaten for it............

They sure can scrum and maul well...............

Those are the only positives I can come up with.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
I do wonder if you're referring to me and my criticism about Toua... but it's completely justified.

Not that the loss in any way can be pinned on him, but repeatedly (and poorly) kicking the ball back to the opposition with every touch sure doesn't help.

He's not a Super Rugby starter, unless you're playing the Sunwolves....

Yes, you are one of the posters that I was referencing. It' not worth trying to have rational debate on a forum with anonymous posters who won't be swayed, so i'll respect your right to express an opinion, have my say, and move on and support the positive aspects of rugby,

On Toua,, sure he has had some forgettable moments but he leads the Brumbies in metres gained and is the only Brumby in the comps top 10, he has the most try assists for the team, and is the leading Brumby for carries, ahead of Kuridrani, with both players in the comps top 10.

Stats aren't everything but these are hardly the numbers of someone as dire as you suggest.

Moving on now....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Toua has had a forgettable year.........

I imagine he leads in metres as he plays at fullback.........

The fact that he's up there for carries might just further explain the Brumbies backline woes.

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
I hope Fardy is not too banged up, He looked to be in trouble for some time before he came off. That was some brick wall that he ran into.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope Fardy is not too banged up, He looked to be in trouble for some time before he came off. That was some brick wall that he ran into.

Almost 250 kg's of prime South Auckland corned beef. Not surprised that he came out significantly worse for wear!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Brumbies played to the standard they have all year apart from their first outing against the Canes. The Brumbies backline with two Wallaby 10s and 13 in 10,12 and 13 and the current Wallaby attack coach couldn't offer less. The forwards not much better.

Really Larkham has been shown up as not being ready for this level let alone test assistant. This was the peak year for the Brumbies since White left and next year will be very trying for Brumbies fans.

At the start of the year I was predicting the Brumbies to easily win the conference on the back of the total lack of threat from the Reds and Force, the consistent inconsistency of the Rebels and a first year coach at the Tahs with some very obvious weaknesses in the squad. What an absolute underperformance the 2016 season has been.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am coming around to the belief that the finals should be determined by position on the overall log, and not be set by the position in the conference. It is an embarrassment that any Aus team and some SA teams will finish above the top four NZ sides simply because the conference leaders are guaranteed a top four spot.

I accept that under the existing conference rules, the Brumbies might yet finish in a finals spot but I cannot say that they deserve to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.