• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Duco looking to add Fiji to the mix next year, the international teams aren't locked in and could change year to year.. a team from the UK could involved next year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dru

Tim Horan (67)
But I'm not sure that a barbarians type side would be suited to the format. If I'm not mistaken, the whole of the prize money goes to the winning club. I'm not sure how that would work with a scratch side representing all NRC or SS teams, or anything like that. Seems to me that all participating teams should/must be club based.

OTOH, I bet that Drew Mitchel would have appreciated some additional reserves picked up out of the local comp. I wouldn't have an issue with that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How about the premiers from the Brisbane and Sydney competitions being invited to put a side each together? Low cost option, good for pre-season preparations, opportunity for more locals to show their wares?

T

TOCC

Duco want big names and an international flavour, not club teams.. I think we could see an additional Japanese side in 2017, plus the Fijian team taking it to an even 16 teams.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't even care mate. It's just some Rugby 10s. It's just shocking. They treat kiwi teams Completely different

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

And yet you took the time to come on here with yet another of your fact-free sprays..........

No one cares about England Wales mate

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

It's a big call but that has to be one of the five most ridiculous things you've ever posted. Sold-out venue, broadcast on every major pay-TV network there is but "no one cares"? Un-fuckin-believable.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
It was a replay of the Six Nations...

And it was on ESPN, so no.

That's what I meant, AS IT was a replay it could have been replayed at a time which did not cut across another of their own rugby programs. Unless you mean ESPN broadcast their own times and foxtel is just a carrier? If so then maybe you are right and foxtel have no control over that.

It seemed odd, rugby is so underrepresented and when we can finally watch some rugby, it clashes. Frustrating.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Have to admit, the Ten's were better than I thought it'd be. That heat was craptacular, thankfully the stadium management didn't enforce the seating restrictions. Although, it probably demonstrates to Duco that they need to piss off with allocated seating (and re-adjust the cost), first in best dress and let everyone else work it out.

Give the players some time to adjust to how to effectively play 10's and I think it'll really be an entertaining game. More importantly, gotta feel sorry for those blokes that went down with those injuries, none of them looked like a simple rolled ankle!

In any event, they still need to move the tournament to a cooler timeslot or they just need to get around 1000 of those 'mist fans' and have them in the stands.

For those concerned about the quality of the Aussie players - Saia popped down to catch up with some mates of his and apologised for reeking of chlorine. Turns out Bernie made them all jump into the pool after the match for more conditioning. The Brumbies atleast are more concerned with playing the Saders in two weeks than they are with their games last weekend. So I'd imagine a lot of players are coming in with extremely heavy workloads for a taper in a weeks time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In any event, they still need to move the tournament to a cooler timeslot or they just need to get around 1000 of those 'mist fans' and have them in the stands.

The last game on Saturday was at 8pm and the last on Sunday at 5:40pm. I would have thought they could have pushed it back an hour on Saturday and two hours on Sunday.

As for the time of year, it really has to be now. The only alternative would be at the end of our season in November but I would guess the teams wouldn't be keen on that.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You never want to see injuries, but you're always going to get them. If the 10s didn't exist, teams would still be playing trial matches and injuries would be there as well.

Actually I'd suggest with less intensity at the ruck you are probably less likely to have injuries in the 10s than in a game of 15s.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's what I meant, AS IT was a replay it could have been replayed at a time which did not cut across another of their own rugby programs. Unless you mean ESPN broadcast their own times and foxtel is just a carrier? If so then maybe you are right and foxtel have no control over that.

It seemed odd, rugby is so underrepresented and when we can finally watch some rugby, it clashes. Frustrating.

Foxtel is just a carrier, and have no control over what their channels schedule.........

Fox Sports and ESPN are separate, rival networks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely almost all Foxtel subscribers can record programs to watch later. Those without an IQ box presumably have a HDDx recorder of some description.

The only area I am unsure about is Foxtel Play users as I have never used the service.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I use Foxtel Play. You cannot record shows.

It seems that is roughly a quarter of Foxtel subscribers so more people than I thought.

That said, there's zero chance there is any consideration given to programming on different channels to ensure that there aren't conflicts between the same sport.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That said, there's zero chance there is any consideration given to programming on different channels to ensure that there aren't conflicts between the same sport.

It would only happen if say Fox Sports had the rights to both matches........

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Houston has made a decision that makes no sense, and Maloney shows how much more intelligent than Horan he is.

Foul play prevents a try = Penalty Try and Yellow card

Reds Clear, and Chiefs should feel very very aggrieved.

Thought the Tongan Thor was hard done by. Clearly no hands by Chiefs defender... He was lucky whilst the Thor was fairly unlucky. Two weeks for that common!!?

If hr head butted him and cut him 2 weeks np. I've seen more intent from a hush puppy. Don't forget there is a lot of intent to hurt in rugby, intent with no damage leaves me bewildered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surely almost all Foxtel subscribers can record programs to watch later. Those without an IQ box presumably have a HDDx recorder of some description.

The only area I am unsure about is Foxtel Play users as I have never used the service.

BH, Any further info on the HDDx recorder? How does it allow Foxtel programs to be recorded? Can it handle multiple recordings simultaneously?

I have IQ, so I'm used to being able to record whatever I want and to watch when it suits me, but might be moving to an apartment block where the Body Corporate refuses to allow IQ technology to be installed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, Any further info on the HDDx recorder? How does it allow Foxtel programs to be recorded? Can it handle multiple recordings simultaneously?

I have IQ, so I'm used to being able to record whatever I want and to watch when it suits me, but might be moving to an apartment block where the Body Corporate refuses to allow IQ technology to be installed.

I'm not the person to ask. I've had IQ for years so I've never had a Tivo type box (i.e. an HDDx recorder).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Thought the Tongan Thor was hard done by. Clearly no hands by Chiefs defender. He was lucky whilst the Thor was fairly unlucky. Two weeks for that common!!?

If hr head butted him and cut him 2 weeks np. I've seen more intent from a hush puppy. Don't forget there is a lot of intent to hurt in rugby, intent with no damage leaves me bewildered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of agree Sage, but balance it out for it could be very good for a young fella, 2 weeks he won't miss much, but probably a valuable lesson early in career not to do half hearted things like that because you still get punished as I agree there was no intent to hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.