• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Global Rugby Tens

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Kind of agree Sage, but balance it out for it could be very good for a young fella, 2 weeks he won't miss much, but probably a valuable lesson early in career not to do half hearted things like that because you still get punished as I agree there was no intent to hurt.

Agreed Dan54 but as an aside Messam needs to HTFU and not start fights because some young bloke Tongan sidestepped him

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agreed Dan54 but as an aside Messam needs to HTFU and not start fights because some young bloke Tongan sidestepped him

A bunch of players came together and grabbed each others jumpers.

It was hardly starting a fight. It's also unbelievably common.

Given the fact that Tupou lost the plot and got himself suspended for two weeks you can guarantee someone will bait him again.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's a classic case of an old stager recognising that the young guy was fired up and likely to do something stupid if provoked.

Pure gamesmanship from Messam.

He sure to get that an awful lot, I have seen it in everything from club rugby to test match, it part of the growing up for any young rugby player.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's a classic case of an old stager recognising that the young guy was fired up and likely to do something stupid if provoked.

Pure gamesmanship from Messam.

I see the "likes" to this post and yes Toupo needs to sort it out. But it was a fun comp in the tens. BH, if you're right, then Messam is a dead set donkey. Completely smears his so-called rep.

Toupo so far for me, has a rep that remains intact.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I see the "likes" to this post and yes Toupo needs to sort it out. But it was a fun comp in the tens. BH, if you're right, then Messam is a dead set donkey. Completely smears his so-called rep.

Toupo so far for me, has a rep that remains intact.

How does it smear anyone's reputation? Messam goaded a young player into doing something he shouldn't have and Tupou has copped a two game suspension.

Messam didn't do anything dirty to provoke the retaliation. Tupou won the physical contact and then did something dumb.

Tupou should have just laughed at him and called him an old man.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's not super rugby. It's not international. Its not even Premier rugby.

If you cant see how your claim of Messam's actions are reprehensible - I dont know how to explain it you.

I really like Slippers actions at the end of it now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Reprehensible. What a joke.

"Reprehensible" : blameworthy, censurable, guilty.

A joke? No, I don't think so.

Messam goes in with a shoulder charge and bounces off. Its not "old dog v young dog", if what is being portrayed is right, it's an ego that cant handle being bettered, so he goes outside of actual rugby to push his weight alternatively. Intentionally. In rugby of little consequence. No doubt though, his ego is better for it.

It's hardly the biggest issue on the table, but the bloke is a donkey. On this occassion anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"Reprehensible" : blameworthy, censurable, guilty.

A joke? No, I don't think so.

Messam goes in with a shoulder charge and bounces off. Its not "old dog v young dog", if what is being portrayed is right, it's an ego that cant handle being bettered, so he goes outside of actual rugby to push his weight alternatively. Intentionally. In rugby of little consequence. No doubt though, his ego is better for it.

It's hardly the biggest issue on the table, but the bloke is a donkey. On this occassion anyway.

That response is really common though. Players regularly grab hold of each other, particularly after they have had a bit of contact. Players don't often skulk off after being bested in contact.

I don't really care what Messam did. I don't really look at it positively or negatively. If you took much out of it you'd lose the plot with the game because it happens multiple times in most matches. Half the time the ball isn't given back for the lineout throw after someone has been tackled out of play they end up grabbing each others jerseys and getting in each other's face.

The response from Tupou says to me that the next guy is going to come along and do exactly the same thing to try and rile him up because it got a response last time.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
How does it smear anyone's reputation? Messam goaded a young player into doing something he shouldn't have and Tupou has copped a two game suspension.

Messam didn't do anything dirty to provoke the retaliation. Tupou won the physical contact and then did something dumb.

Tupou should have just laughed at him and called him an old man.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nah he did do something wrong that's the point. He didn't use his arms in a tackle. Dumb for Thor to retaliate but Messan also deserved to be punish => brain fart referee or judiciary or whoever made the decision. All Black, Blackall, young bull old bull, cowboy doesn't matter; rules need to be applied uniformly and consistently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
TBF I was over-blowing the thing. It does happen all the time. It just I think some of the response to Tupou is also over-done.

As was said earlier, Toupo's occassion high tackles are probably a bigger issue.

Messam is a bloke with a big rep, leave it at that.

Reactions: gel

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So it would be:

Sydney Sevens

Wellington Sevens/NRL Brisbane 9s

Brisbane Rugby 10s.

Having "major" sporting events on consecutive weekends in Brisbane's going to stretch fans' patience, and wallets, possibly a bit too far. What the Rugby 10s has in its favour is its international flavour, something league can't match. For 2018 it'd be nice to see two more teams from elsewhere, possibly an Asian side, Fiji instead of Samoa and a rotating Saffer team. I'd wager this year's appearance by Toulon'll be the last time we see a European entry in the Brisbane 10s.

Some work to do for the promoters: 5 Oz+5 NZ+6 others. What about an Argie team, a Saffer side (not the Bulls), a Japanese team (not the Wild Knights), Fiji, an Asian XV (Hong Kong+Singapore perhaps) and one of Canada or America. Maybe even give Uruguay some encouragement. Or possibly get Kenya to have a crack at 10s.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Having "major" sporting events on consecutive weekends in Brisbane's going to stretch fans' patience, and wallets, possibly a bit too far. What the Rugby 10s has in its favour is its international flavour, something league can't match. For 2018 it'd be nice to see two more teams from elsewhere, possibly an Asian side, Fiji instead of Samoa and a rotating Saffer team. I'd wager this year's appearance by Toulon'll be the last time we see a European entry in the Brisbane 10s.

Some work to do for the promoters: 5 Oz+5 NZ+6 others. What about an Argie team, a Saffer side (not the Bulls), a Japanese team (not the Wild Knights), Fiji, an Asian XV (Hong Kong+Singapore perhaps) and one of Canada or America. Maybe even give Uruguay some encouragement. Or possibly get Kenya to have a crack at 10s.

For next year I'd go the 5 Aus and NZ franchises, the Sunwolves , the Jaguares, the Lions, Kenya, Fiji and probably the USA.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There's got to be a fair chance that Duco do a swap, 9s to Brisbane, 10s to Auckland.

Did the Qld gov kick in any funding? Might help to keep it at Suncorp.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yes, plenty. On a 4 year deal.

the question is, will they chip in more for the 9s?

Sydney won't you wouldn't imagine as they have the 7s which is working for them.

I can't imagine the organisers wanting to risk it in Melbourne.

Leaves them in a tough position.

Status
Not open for further replies.