• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
On the kicking front, what's Mark Gerrard doing these days? I'm sure a stint as kicking coach would help Mogg, White To'omua and co.

I think the Brumbies are probably the last Aussie franchise to need a general play kicking coach. A goal kicking coach would be handy but generally our kickers in White, Mogg and To'omua execute well. It's just when to kick is the problem, which i feel is more strategy and mindset more then anything.

A kicking coach for all super franchises would be nice to see however, more practice of executing the up-and-under would be handy.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There appeared to be signs of this earlier in the season, but they seemed to have shot themselves in the foot by trying to completely replicate Jake's era....

For instance, they rushed Lilo in at the expense of McCabe, and his goal kicking is under 50% (no use playing a territory game and then relying on a kicker who can't kick) and his form hasn't been too great....

Those early games with McCabe at 12 (Canes and Tahs in particular) were the Brumbies best of the season....

Agreed. I feel Larkham is has played it too safe. He has failed to make the hard decisions. Early on that was picking McCabe ahead of Lealifano.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed. I feel Larkham is has played it too safe. He has failed to make the hard decisions. Early on that was picking McCabe ahead of Lealifano.

This was 100% the worst decision Larkham made this year. If I was McCabe I would be so pissed we would scarcely be on speaking terms. McCabe was told by action if not words that he was the sixth best back (11-15) at the Brumbies. If you think that's true I have some shares in a bridge I'd love to sell you at half their "value".

The second worst decision he made (thanks for asking) was insisting To'omua play 10 when he's much better at 12.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The second worst decision he made (thanks for asking) was insisting To'omua play 10 when he's much better at 12.

I dunno about that...........

Despite being the best 12 in the country, he's clearly the best 10 at the Brumbies (and possibly 2nd best 10 in the country behind Cooper), and they would currently be best served with To'omua/McCabe at 10/12...........

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno about that.....

Despite being the best 12 in the country, he's clearly the best 10 at the Brumbies (and possibly 2nd best 10 in the country behind Cooper), and they would currently be best served with To'omua/McCabe at 10/12.....

Lealifano's form at 10 before injury proves otherwise. He was a shoe in for 10 at the wallabies. I suspect the only reason he wasn't put back in 10 was because To'omua preferred playing at 10 and Lealifano prefers 12. Also the fact that To'omua was untested at 12 at the time. So fair enough. But this year things have changed, To'omua has proven his worth at 12 so why not go back to 10. Lealifano and 12. To'omua. Seems like a much more fluent and attacking combo.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lealifano's form at 10 before injury proves otherwise.

2012 form before two serious ankle injuries..........

I would love to see him return to such form, but at the moment he should be on the bench...........

T

Train Without a Station

To say he "was a shoe in" for the Wallabies is a long bow to draw too. People like BH on here have defended Deans decision to pick JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 for the Lions series over To'omua due to To'omua's inexperience.

So to say the bloke who played half a good season at 10 in 2012 was a shoe in for the jersey in 2012 is a stretch.

May have been the form 10 for that half of the season yes, but shoe in is getting a bit carried away.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To say he "was a shoe in" for the Wallabies is a long bow to draw too. People like BH on here have defended Deans decision to pick JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 for the Lions series over To'omua due to To'omua's inexperience.

So to say the bloke who played half a good season at 10 in 2012 was a shoe in for the jersey in 2012 is a stretch.

May have been the form 10 for that half of the season yes, but shoe in is getting a bit carried away.

When you win something like 4 out of 5 man of the matches its hard to ignore. Combined with the fact there were no other decent options at the time playing 10, Cooper injured, JOC (James O'Connor) limited game time etc. Foley and To'omua weren't exactly on the scene then. If he wasn't selected it would have been absolute stupidity. So I don't at all think it was getting "carried away".

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
When you win something like 4 out of 5 man of the matches its hard to ignore. Combined with the fact there were no other decent options at the time playing 10, Cooper injured, JOC (James O'Connor) limited game time etc. Foley and To'omua weren't exactly on the scene then. If he wasn't selected it would have been absolute stupidity. So I don't at all think it was getting "carried away".

It was 8 out of 10.

Genia needed an extra 5 matches to catch up for the Super Rugby player of the year award.

I think George Smith came 3rd, using up his extra points from previous seasons.

T

Train Without a Station

Leali'ifano polled 17 votes. He could only have got a maximum of 5.

For the record, the player that replaced Quade Cooper and Berrick Barnes at 10 was Beale, who got 15 despite missing games through injury also.

Also, wasn't Barnes man of the series vs Wales?

As I said, it's not so cut and dry.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Leali'ifano polled 17 votes. He could only have got a maximum of 5.

For the record, the player that replaced Quade Cooper and Berrick Barnes at 10 was Beale, who got 15 despite missing games through injury also.

Also, wasn't Barnes man of the series vs Wales?

As I said, it's not so cut and dry.
Leali'ifano would have been Australias 10 Deans said it everyone saw it. He was playing that well. But that's 2012, he hasn't played that well since.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Leali'ifano would have been Australias 10 Deans said it everyone saw it. He was playing that well. But that's 2012, he hasn't played that well since.

I think the best thing for him and Aussie rugby, is to have him play in the NRC.

Play him at 10, let him get his match fitness and agility back, his confidence etc etc, and re-establish himself at flyhalf. I thought he looked very awkward when chasing after Alofa after that intercept. He just looked like he was running on mud/had no spring in his step and looked a bit bigger around the waist/hips than he was back then.

To'omua will obviously be off playing for the Wallabies, at 12, so lets use this opportunity to give Lilo the reigns at 10 and steer the NRC side around. He's wasted at 12.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Dowsett has signed for another 2 years

Any news on Fotu? Has he resigned or am I incorrect thinking his contract was up?

Also your thoughts on a UK forwards coach? - I noticed its silly season over there with coaches playing musical chairs - any worth considering? (although I am warming to the idea of Dan Palmer as forwards / set piece coach split with a part-time UC scholarship)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fotu staying at the Brumbies

THE Reds have missed out on recruiting Brumbies wrecking ball Fotu Auelua, with the ACT team expected to announce tomorrow it has re-signed the giant number eight.

Much of the media speculation surrounding the Reds’ mysteriously cloaked recruitment drive has focused on the suspected big- name signings of James O’Connor and Karmichael Hunt. Both are back-three players and while they are highly prized, it’s not in the outside backs that the Reds are hurting the most.
Their crying need is for a line-bending number eight or blindside flanker to supplement their highly industrious but small backrowers and there is no question that Auelua, though now 30, would have filled the bill. He was the Brumbies’ leading ground-gainer last season with 924m, a goodly portion of them clocked up at Kings Park in round five when he ran amok against the Sharks in the Brumbies’ 29-10 victory.
There were even reports on social media yesterday that he was heading to Ballymore but informed sources have confirmed to The Australian that Auelua will be staying in Canberra.
He was only sparingly used by the Brumbies this year after he missed 13 rounds because of a knee injury sustained against the Reds in the season-opener. That followed last year’s setback when Wallabies coach Robbie Deans came calling for him only for Auelua to dislocate his shoulder on the eve of the British and Irish Lions series.
With Auelua now a non-starter, the Reds might need to look overseas for an imposing forward to fill the same aggressive ball-carrying role that South African import Jacques Potgeiter has performed so brilliantly for the Waratahs this season.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...eds-for-brumbies/story-e6frg7o6-1226979770935

Status
Not open for further replies.