• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Good to hear that Lilo is doing well and things are tracking towards a good outcome. I wish him all the best with the transplant and hope to see him able to spend good quality time with his family and get back home soon.

"The Brumbies are expected to announce the signing of an outside back in the coming days."

Another outside back? FFS, how many do we need?

Wharenui Hawera is not a bad option. He may be the last piece of the puzzle that keeps the Brumbies competitive. Good he is training with the side and pretty much says the Brumbies are really scrambling for a solution at 10. I just hope like hell they don't stupidly sign some past it journeymen thinking experince will be the solution.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...gn-waikato-first-fiveeighth-for-2016-campaign

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ker-surprises-himself-with-long-range-efforts

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think he's there yet. Wouldn't be a smart signing unless they want to get him 'there' over 2-3 years.

He is actually further on the Garden-Bachop.

Its a naivety that we have that the Kiwis don't. This whole "it will take years BS before they are given a chance. Google some young pinerider hack who after 18 NPC games was thrown in the shark tank to fill in some massive shoes. Real shame about what they did to him. Poor Richie" Mo'unga. :rolleyes:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Think it might be Tom Banks ex Qld Country (I think) No 15 from this year's NRC. See post by eldiablo on Reds 2017 thread.

Reactions: mst

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He is actually further on the Garden-Bachop.

Its a naivety that we have that the Kiwis don't. This whole "it will take years BS before they are given a chance. Google some young pinerider hack who after 18 NPC games was thrown in the shark tank to fill in some massive shoes. Real shame about what they did to him. Poor Richie" Mo'unga. :rolleyes:

I literally mean his skill set isn't there yet and he makes errors, not he's miscellaneously 'just not ready'.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I literally mean his skill set isn't there yet and he makes errors, not he's miscellaneously 'just not ready'.
So what is he missing, what errors? Enlighten us please. From reports on NZ he is showing good signs in a competitive environment and being in the Kiwi system its unlikely his skillset would be low and they would keep him playing. His efforts this year with a very young and new Stags team, under a new coach and was supposed to be the number 2 behind an AB 10 but played all bar half a game was noticed due to his performances.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Is pleased!:)

Now bloody Toua will have a blinder just to annoy me!

(BTW - I noticed you have avoid my JJH@10 comments!)

Can't say anything positive, don't say anything at all. Not quite in that category as JJH is promising in attack, but I am completely disillusioned with his defensive abilities. As I have said before, I think his small stature will always count against him at Super Rugby level.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Being a bit harsh in your marking of him perhaps? Which No 10 doesn't make efrrors. We have a couple vying for Wallabies' selection who regularly commit errors and aften they are repetitive in nature too.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Can't say anything positive, don't say anything at all. Not quite in that category as JJH is promising in attack, but I am completely disillusioned with his defensive abilities. As I have said before, I think his small stature will always count against him at Super Rugby level.
I was figuring @10 his defensive frailties may be more forgivable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and a damn good one. His NRC form deserved selection. I am disappointed he wasn't signed by the Reds ahead of Jayden Ngamanu.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies game vs Hurricanes in NZ will be in Napier, not Wellington. Makes the direct flights thing a bit of a non event.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Considering you're loaded up with meathead wingers without good kicking games (and I say that with love), I'd give Banks a wing jersey even if you stick with Toua.

You've got to have 2 kickers in the pendulum.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Considering you're loaded up with meathead wingers without good kicking games (and I say that with love), I'd give Banks a wing jersey even if you stick the Toua.

You've got to have 2 kickers in the pendulum.

Your on a roll today! :rolleyes:

Wings

Nigel Ah Wong
James Dargaville
Henry Speight
Lausii Taliauli

So:
  • How are we loaded with wingers?
  • Why would wingers need a kicking game?
  • Name a winder with a good kicking game?
  • What is "the pendulum"?
  • Why are they meatheads?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumbies game vs Hurricanes in NZ will be in Napier, not Wellington. Makes the direct flights thing a bit of a non event.
Love Napier. Wine Country and Home of the Gimblett Gravel wine region, not to mention Cape Kidnappers Golf Course, pétanque while wine tasting and plenty of fine food and produce. Tough place to get to by plane but you are rewarded if you make the effort.

Almost more efficient and cheaper to fly to Auckland and rent a car, than to try to fly to Auckland and connect to a Napier Flight. Not a bad drive ~ 6 hours. Beats hanging around in the Qantas Club, or in the Cattle transfer section for 5 hours for the 50 minute connecting flight.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Your on a roll today! :rolleyes:

Wings

Nigel Ah Wong
James Dargaville
Henry Speight
Lausii Taliauli

So:
Tactful.

How are we loaded with wingers?
Well, you've named 4. Plus arguably Banks.
Why would wingers need a kicking game?
Wingers often kick because if you only have one kicker in the back 3 they're easier to isolate and force into bad options.
Name a winger with a good kicking game?
Every high level team has minimum one winger that can kick and often two. The Wallabies have DHP and formally Mitchell and Hodge, the All Blacks have Dagg, England have Watson, South Africa have JP Pietersen, etc.
In fact, the All Blacks named 2 non-kicking wingers against Ireland in a weaker team (Savea and Naholo) and it's considered one of the reasons Ireland won.
What is "the pendulum"?
"The pendulum" is common name given to the back 3 because of the way they swing in and out of roles on defence like a pendulum, always making sure the space out back is filled for cover defence and kick returns.
Why are they meatheads?
Because they're big physical wingers that are more likely to use physicality to return kicks rather than running it back, which links into a previous point.

Look, you've nit picked twice, and I've explained myself and made you look silly twice. This is not the side of online forums I enjoy and it's not very becoming.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Thank you for providing the response amirtie. The intent of my question was to understand your comments noting that most of your recent comments have been generalisations that also contained a derogatory element. This allows me to understand a persons point of view.

The 4 players made are the Brumbies wingers. However all of them can play in other positions. Only Ah-Wong would fall in to your description of a "meathead".

You are correct, none of them have a good kicking game, but then again it has been many years since the Brumbies did have a winger with a good kicking game and it seem an unnecessary requirement.

Wingers with good kicking games are fairly rare.

DHP, Hodge and Dagg are not wingers. From all the media report and pundits comment, the wingers were not the cause of the all AB's loss. The may have played a part, but only a small part. The general consensus is errors and a predictable game plan and simple being outplayed.

Wingers in the back 3, as with your reference to "the Pendulum" is dependant on what players are named and the game plan. For example the Brumbies in the past have tended to keep the wingers up and drop back their 9 and 10. The Red, and Tahs, and for that matter the Wallabies tend to drop Cooper, Foley. Genia and Phipps back and keep the wingers up. or if they are bringing Folau in to the line it will push a winger out to at full back roll, thus the selection of a full back on the wing.

Regardless, the non-meathead, non-kicking game possessing wingers the Brumbies have work well last year and we didn't suffer as you suggest.

Ironically, Cheika has recently caused controversy by selecting Koroibete; a winger with out a kicking game who will be playing at the Rebels next year.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Almost more efficient and cheaper to fly to Auckland and rent a car, than to try to fly to Auckland and connect to a Napier Flight. Not a bad drive ~ 6 hours. Beats hanging around in the Qantas Club, or in the Cattle transfer section for 5 hours for the 50 minute connecting flight.

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING is worth flying to Auckland unless you really, really, REALLY have to :) Smart option is to fly into Wellywood, hire a car, head over the Rimutaka Hill & check out the South Wairarapa wine & food trail en route to Napier. Or go straight there: ~3 hours via the Manawatu Gorge, a bit longer if it's closed & you've gotta use the Saddle or the Pahiatua Track.

EDIT: upside of of the latter option(s) is that in order to get to the Gorge/ Saddle/ Track, one must first pass through God's Own Country aka the 'nua :)

Status
Not open for further replies.