• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Michael Thompson: We’re the most successful Australian team, we’ve been in the finals the last four years, we’re developing a lot of Wallabies, we’re developing a lot of high level coaches and we’re financially viable,” Thompson thumped.

“We have no intention of going anywhere."

Brumbies have about $1Mil in the bank, no significant assets, no capital / investments, carry little debt, have no significant binding obligations or contracts and have no significant or major sponsors beyond 2017. The 2017 membership is well down, thus the additional push this weekend.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What is your source for this? As far as I am aware the SANZAAR meeting is in London on Friday, and probably hasn't started yet die to time difference.
With no disrespect to you, I simply do no beleive that dicision can seriously be made.
I believe day one of the 2 day meeting has already concluded.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Probable announcement after the Wallabies test in Canberra.

If this is true would they seriously wait until September to announce it? Granted, if they made the announcement before the test I imagine tickets wouldn't sell very well, but by September clubs are already starting to memberships etc for the following season.
To leave ppl hanging for that long would be fucking ridiculous.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
brumbies rugby territory is fare more than the ACT... includes a third of NSW...
Brumbies-Territory.jpg

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
More likely the Force will go, if it happens... a later broadcast time doesn't offer a real advantage for a media group... costs of covering west coast broadcasts for 1 team is expensive... and delayed telecasts on east coast matches aren't an issue, just look at NZ broadcasts...

As for origin of players its the Super teams which make professional Wallabies not local clubs

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If the Brumbies get punted Ill be lost to the sport.. I know that doesnt mean much to the ARU, but couldnt see me taking much interest anymore

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Before the Brumbies "annexed" southern New South Wales the NSW Country RU did bugger all for the development of rugby in that part of the state. They effectively waved the white flag to league and AFL. Like the rest of Australia AFL's prospered but league's in trouble over the Blue Mountains, didja know the leagues club in Wagga went broke a decade or so ago resulting in the sale of the clubhouse and adjoining ovals.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The new VC said the only issues he saw were between two individuals.

Now both aren't in their respective positions, everyone seems to have moved on and repaired the damage and this can only be a good thing considering all the other external business that's going on with SANZAAR.

Love the probity and the deep investigation (by an ex copper). Nothing to see here. Move along. :(

Integrity is a precious thing that is so easily compromised but I have found vital in my entire working life. IMHO it (or the lack of and the loss of trust that results in) goes to the problems that all of Australian Rugby is experiencing now.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
If the Brumbies get punted Ill be lost to the sport.. I know that doesnt mean much to the ARU, but couldnt see me taking much interest anymore

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumbies Rugby is an internationally recognised brand... more so than any other OZ team... The coaches and former players are at employed at the best clubs in the world... I think we will see an OZ + NZ comp with play offs against the SA twn conferences

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm not suggesting for a second that Rugby Central is right but, I imagine that the ARU would have plans to cover a variety of scenarios. One of those scenarios would be what to do if forced to cut a team. I would be surprised if they hadn't already made an in-principal decision. Even then, in-principal decisions can be changed right up to the time a real decision has to be made.

I actually don't think any teams will be cut. I reckon it's much more likely that some tinkering will be done with the structure of the comp, at least until the end of this broadcast deal. I also think that if the Saffas have to make a compromise they will be more likely to give concessions regarding the draw rather than cut one of their teams.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Just going to leave this here.
From when the Rebels joined until last year.
Makes the ARU look pretty stupid. We know the motivation is financial but in terms of damaging the success of Oz rugby then getting rid of the Brumbies is a pretty big step in that direction (if thats what they end up doing).

Capture.JPG

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I always thought that if a cut was coming the Brumbies were in danger, generally on reasons given earlier.

Another thought was if a Saffer got cut, it wont be the Kings, maybe a merger with Cheetahs but not the the Kings.

Either way if its true ARU are going to take a major long time to recover. Crazy time to be doing this. As much as I dislike certain (most) "identities" in the SRU, ACT could think about joining the complainants as they cogitate on a domestic comp built off the SS. If the ARU do not want to be arming that gun with bullets, they need to start taking fan concerns seriously. And stuff SANZAR.

Work the Vikings into that and the NRC and wait for a time to give these twits the bird.

If of course its true.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's a lot to be said for a Lions/Bulls merger. 40 minutes apart.

Yep, also agree, one province. But its two major RUs both successful and might be a step too far for SARU. Geographically understandable (though check the reach of the Bulls these days as they clain CC RUs. Their territory map at the start of Super Rugby matches looks like a rorsacht ink blotch over Africa.)

More likely to lose the Cheetahs I suspect, but who knows.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
If this is true would they seriously wait until September to announce it? Granted, if they made the announcement before the test I imagine tickets wouldn't sell very well, but by September clubs are already starting to memberships etc for the following season.
To leave ppl hanging for that long would be fucking ridiculous.
I have absolute faith that the ARU, let alone SANZAAR would have no ability to keep something that big under wraps for that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgodze

Bob McCowan (2)
Surely for a competition completely lacking in teams with history and rivalries with meaning cutting the Brumbies would be crazy. Even if Canberra/Monaro is a small market, playing the Brumbies is something Waratah/Reds fans/media actually care about. Those games are rare times super rugby gets cutthrough in the two biggest rugby markets. Can't be said about most teams in the comp.

Ps agree on Powell, he looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.