• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Double V

Just attended the Barker vs Waverley rematch down at Queens Park - end score Barer 20 Waverley 15

A few things were evident after today's game:

1. 7 S.Goodman(c) really has a terrible temper; a yellow card for a late shoulder early into the Second Half well deserved after a number of blatant infringements in the first. Had him picked as captain for NSW I's but after today's game I'm not so sure. Although for all the negatives he was a menace at the ruck continuously and was fighting for the ball until the last minute, his leadership was also evident throughout the game, calling the forwards in numerous times for a good talking too.

2. 5 J.Harris for Waverley has put his hand up for a NSW I or II's spot, a solid display against CHS on Thursday for CAS I's and more than backed it up today - was easily my Man of the Match. His ball running was extremely powerful and was constant in defense, racking up an insurmountable amount of tackles. Played Sydney 16's last year so I believe he is still only in year 11, if not this year book him in next year definitely for a spot.

Barker were the better team all day and fully deserved the win - their cohesion and structure throughout the game simply out-classed the Waverley boys, which now leads Barker undefeated with 5 wins and Waverley with 4 and 1 loss, meaning the return match up at College Oval in the last round will decide the title.. Interesting times to come.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Thanks for report Double V!
Yes- I'm in 2 minds about Goodman- really I wonder whether he's had too much Rugby & is often jaded/ quick to snap. This is his 3rd year in Barker's 1st XV- as a 14/15 year old he dominated his age group, but not over last few years.

Any injuries out of the game- Waverley have to back up against Knox on Saturday @ Queens Park. On form they should win, unless Knox can play it thru the forwards, as their backs appear to be a problem.

D

Double V

Thanks for report Double V!
Yes- I'm in 2 minds about Goodman- really I wonder whether he's had too much Rugby & is often jaded/ quick to snap. This is his 3rd year in Barker's 1st XV- as a 14/15 year old he dominated his age group, but not over last few years.

Any injuries out of the game- Waverley have to back up against Knox on Saturday @ Queens Park. On form they should win, unless Knox can play it thru the forwards, as their backs appear to be a problem.

No injuries from memory

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Just attended the Barker vs Waverley rematch down at Queens Park - end score Barer 20 Waverley 15

A few things were evident after today's game:

1. 7 S.Goodman(c) really has a terrible temper; a yellow card for a late shoulder early into the Second Half well deserved after a number of blatant infringements in the first. Had him picked as captain for NSW I's but after today's game I'm not so sure. Although for all the negatives he was a menace at the ruck continuously and was fighting for the ball until the last minute, his leadership was also evident throughout the game, calling the forwards in numerous times for a good talking too.

Goodman plays hard but fair and there was no evidence of him loosing his temper against Waverly, quite the contrary. He goes hard and sometimes at the margin but that is what you want in a flanker. His leadership is outstanding, Eg Barker, CAS and Barbarians in Investec sevens all going well under his captaincy. Ask any boy who has played with him, I know my son has.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I love Goodman's aggression. We will need it when the big games come up against QLD. Nothing wrong with a bit of controlled aggro.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker 31 Trinity 7. Red card to the Trinity Capt, Jackson ???, who kneed the Barker winger on the ground right in front of the ref. Absolute disgrace - should get at least 2weeks

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I love Goodman's aggression. We will need it when the big games come up against QLD. Nothing wrong with a bit of controlled aggro.

Agreed. Goodman is just what NSW needs against the Reds, the more aggression up front the better. You know they are going to come at you hard.

D

Double V

Opens - CAS v GPS on June 22 @ Newington College

1st XV - J Wallace ( W ), H Alexander ( K ), R Mc Neil ( B ), J Reid ( K ), J Harris ( W ), F Bursle ( K ), S Goodman ( B ), J Holloway ( W ), M. Hayter ( B ), W Fay ( C ), T Mitchell ( B ), A Anderson ( W ), A Fine ( W ), S English ( W ), C Clarke ( K )

2nd XV - P Cockinos ( C ), T Morrison ( A ), M Doughman ( K ), H Orr ( T ), D Roberts ( B ), J Grant ( A ), S Mackenzie ( B ), S Figg ( B ), T Duchesne ( K ), S Hayter ( B ), S Horton ( K ), H Burns ( B ), S Goodman ( B ), L Viney ( A ), S Purcell ( B ), C Healy ( B ), J Bray ( T ), H Clark ( C ), N Webb ( B ), J Maguire ( K ), W Thompson ( A ), T Brown ( C ), M Meoli ( W ).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good to see that Cameron Clark is fit. Haven't seen him since the U/16s last year when he looked like a terrific player who made the tournament from the Sydney Juniors side, not the NSW Schools side.

W

whynot.

Players from CAS First XV that will get a look in to NSW Schoolboys 1s and 2s:
1. Jack Wallace
4. Jesse Harris
5. Jordan Reid
6. Stuart Goodman
8. Jed Holloway
13. Asipeli Fine
15. Cameron Clarke

I would be very surprised if players left out of these above, made NSW Schoolboys

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Any punters (meaning that strictly in a platonic way) have any ideas about this weekend games?

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Knox 19 defeated Trinity 17
in what was a fairly low standard game.
Knox had none of the combination etc they displayed in beating Waverley at end of 2nd Term. They will need to step up another level to be competitive with Barker, next week.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Agreed with "The Chosen" about Knox. They seemed lethargic, listless and lacking in cohesion. Are they fit? Their style of play was quite one dimensional. It could be argued that they were lucky to win, Trinity could have easily been awarded a penalty right at the end, though Trinity did get 14 point try with the length of the field intercept. Yeung played well( a good solo try from some distance out) and Bursle was always eager and willing to get stuck in. The 15 also made some good breaks. Trinity was best served by 7 Osullivan, 10 Debriniski (or something like that) and 9 played quite well. Trinity played to their strengths - and kept it simple - did what they had to do well. They were probably dissapointed they couldn't grab victory. Knox were dispirited and disappointing.

Though he guided them well, I think Trinity's 10 may have kicked the ball too often, when he could have spread it out to the backs - in particular to their winger Lee. Whether the Knox defence led him to that tactic I can't second guess him.

The closeness of the score made the game rather than anything in the game itself. I thought the best side on the day was Knox 2nds. They played as a team and could use the ball to great affect. Their number 10 (Cottee?) looks like a good player.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This week

Waverley vs Cranbrook Draw. Last local derby for Y12 boys.
Knox vs Barker Barker by 20. Backs too good.
Trinity vs St. Aloysius Trinity by 5. Kennedy against O'Sullivan will be good to watch.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Should have taken your `start', Torn Hammy!

Barker are CAS champions for 2010, defeating Knox 21 - 19, at KG1 this afternoon.
This was an intriging match-up and although Barker looked the good early on, Knox hung in there and sweated on Barker's mistakes. Barker starved Knox of a lot of lineout ball- when you lose a lot of your own throw-ins you are going to struggle and this is what cost Knox the game.
Just prior to lemons, a melee erupted on the sideline, with two-thirds of both teams involved. Scott Goodman( Barker No 13) was red-carded- IMO his brother Stu (No 7 & Captain) should have gone with him!
Immediately after this Barker pressuired on line and prop, Robbie McNeil powered over- Barker 15-Knox 7 at half-time.
The opening stanza of the 2nd hald saw Knox up the ante - indeed it was their maligned backline that came alive, winger Jack Sullivan, playing his best game of the season going over in the corner , followed by a brilliant try to replacement fullback, Ed Gellert. This saw Knox take the lead 19-18.
Indiscretions by Knox forwards saw another penalty to Barker and winger Mitchell booted over his 3rd penalty, to see Barker home 21-19 ( Knox 3 tries to Barker's 2)

Knox 2nds wrapped up the 2nd XV premiership 19-5 and I understand the bulk of this team are in Year 11.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
A good win to Barker today after playing with 14 men after Scott Goodman was red carded. A real gutsy effort I thought by the men in red. Yes I have to agree that Stu was lucky to stay on. I also thought that Knox lock Daniel McMillan was also lucky not to get a card. He was involved in a couple of incidents during the game whenever the larry dooley was on.

I wouldn't mind having Scott Goodman accompany me on the drink on Friday nights. He would be handy in a pub brawl by the looks of his efforts in the stoush today. He pumped a couple of the big Knox lads!

While Stu was lucky to stay on he did however have a great game. He was everywhere - making big tackles, competing at the breakdown and taking the ball up. An inspirational effort. My man of the match went to Barker No 8 Sam Figg. He was tremendous in the lineout and dominated. He was also good carrying the ball. A wonderful balanced player who can slip a good pass.

I was a bit disappointed in the Barker crowd at one stage who chanted "BULLS*IT" in deference to the referees decision. A poor show of sportmanship right in front of the young kids. I sense they must have come straight from the Blue Gum Hotel up the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.