• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)
The answer ?
I assumed that it was because they had better players & were well coached.
You seemingly know something about Trinity that others on this forum don't know.
Perhaps you could give us the benefit of your inside knowledge ?
I'm sure that Trinity's secret of success would be welcome knowledge to other schools who wish to emulate them , ( i.e. assuming that it's a secret that they don't know about & haven't already used ).

I think your assumption is correct. The coaches are better now and they do have a good bunch of players coming through at the right time. However, that does not guarantee success. Remember at the beginning of the season some thought they had nothing to offer this year so obviously they got better as the season went on. Debrecezini being fit was massive for them as he orchestrated the backline like a puppeteer. I guess it helps when you have the Australia A fly half calling the shots. I played at West Harbour for a short while when his Dad was still playing. Thoroughly nice bloke and coached the juniors there. I would not be getting too worried about Trinity's success as it is only one year. Remember, Barker was undefeated last year and Knox was undefeated in 2008. Anyway, I think it is good that schools that don't usually challenge in the CAS start to ramp it up a bit. It makes the CAS stronger and hopefully have more depth to challenge the GPS superiority complex. Better, to have 6 strong CAS schools to choose players from than one or two.

C

Casnovian

Better players: tick. Well coached: tick, one ex-Parramatta and Brumbies perhaps, one teacher a former Trinity 1st XV player & MIC of Rugby. A good admin foundation from preceding years: tick. Inspirational leadership of the Friends of Rugby support movement: tick. Depth of refereeing talent among teachers/parents: tick. Well-credentialled coaches: tick. Unrivaled team spirit among the elite player group: tick. And, whereas some schools have Robbie Deans along for dinner, Trinity gets him along at training ..... Hopefully he will be able to learn something valuable in very short order, as RWC 2011 is only weeks away.

Don't forget the Japan Rugby Tour last year. Not all attended however - the bond and commitment for this year was said to have been forged - even though they got their butts kicked by the second best Japan Schools team.

Since1961

Herbert Moran (7)
Don't forget the Japan Rugby Tour last year. Not all attended however - the bond and commitment for this year was said to have been forged - even though they got their butts kicked by the second best Japan Schools team.

I was not familiar with the detail of that trip but did overlook the fantastic new strength and conditioning facility (big tick) that has just been created in with the new carpark (more big ticks for visiting motorists there) - a peek through the clear glass suggests some major investment in the boys' physical development .... not that we'll be there again for a game this season. Ditto for what appears to be an investment in a new scrum machine; one I saw there a while ago that reminded me of the old grey Massey Ferguson rusting up the back paddock.

C

Casnovian

I was not familiar with the detail of that trip but did overlook the fantastic new strength and conditioning facility (big tick) that has just been created in with the new carpark (more big ticks for visiting motorists there) - a peek through the clear glass suggests some major investment in the boys' physical development .... not that we'll be there again for a game this season. Ditto for what appears to be an investment in a new scrum machine; one I saw there a while ago that reminded me of the old grey Massey Ferguson rusting up the back paddock.

We may have exhausted the list. The most telling thing I heard this year was the uncompromising approach and expectations regarding training this year. One fellow who has a list of representative honours to his credit did not advise he was not going to attend a session and was immediately dropped - no discussion. Message received loud and clear by the full squad!

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think your assumption is correct. The coaches are better now and they do have a good bunch of players coming through at the right time. However, that does not guarantee success. Remember at the beginning of the season some thought they had nothing to offer this year so obviously they got better as the season went on. Debrecezini being fit was massive for them as he orchestrated the backline like a puppeteer. I guess it helps when you have the Australia A fly half calling the shots. I played at West Harbour for a short while when his Dad was still playing. Thoroughly nice bloke and coached the juniors there. I would not be getting too worried about Trinity's success as it is only one year. Remember, Barker was undefeated last year and Knox was undefeated in 2008. Anyway, I think it is good that schools that don't usually challenge in the CAS start to ramp it up a bit. It makes the CAS stronger and hopefully have more depth to challenge the GPS superiority complex. Better, to have 6 strong CAS schools to choose players from than one or two.
Yes they probably have improved as the season progressed , but the fact that some people said that they had little to offer , is more a reflection on those peoples judgement & their particular biases than on the quality of the Trinity team .
Even now, after an outstanding season , some people here , have difficulty giving them the credit that is due to this very good team.

C

Casnovian

We may have exhausted the list. The most telling thing I heard this year was the uncompromising approach and expectations regarding training this year. One fellow who has a list of representative honours to his credit did not advise he was not going to attend a session and was immediately dropped - no discussion. Message received loud and clear by the full squad!

I have just been reminded that Trinity Grammar School commenced an Elite Sports Academy this year. It is currently being directed by George Ayoub. Apparently membership is limited to State representatives and above. A number of student state and Australian representatives have been invited to be part of the Academy from its commencement. The numbers will be boosted with the six NSW rugby representatives this year as well as the Australian A team representative. Not limited to Rugby as the school also able to name Australian representativeS in Basketball and swimming. It is interesting in fact when you peruse the TGS weekly newsletter - Rugby appears to be deliberately down played when compared to other sports reports. No mention of particular players etc in the actual games.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why has Trinity done well this year? I'm sure all the answers offered to do with preparation and attitude are true. But the same could be said of all the other CAS schools, I'd suspect. It's not about scholarships - most of this playing group have been at the school for many years. I think it's no more than the fact that once every five to ten years, a group of good players coalesces at the school. Trinity doesn't have the record of a Knox, Barker or Waverley - its bunches of talented players come around less frequently. It has been said that if you spend six years at Trinity, you get to see one really good 1st XV, and the Plume Shield results tend to bear that out. It just happens that this year, there's a collection of talent clustered at the Open/Under 16 level. Sometimes, it just happens like that. In 1977, Matraville High found the Ellas and Lloyd Walker all in the one side, and that same year Knox went around with two future Wallabies (Peter Fitzsimons and Steve Cutler) in the second row. Those things didn't happen because they're planned. I'm not suggesting that Trinity's team is full of future Wallabies, but that sometimes, despite everyone's best-laid plans, success is the product of a happy coincidence of talent.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
One to go...

Aaah... anyone still interested?

With one game left, Trinity is certain to finish first, and Cranbrook can't shift the wooden spoon. I guess Trinity's motivation will be preserving an unbeaten record, and it's hard to see St Aloysius stopping that. Waverley will be pretty keen to reverse its defeat to Cranbrook in the first round and its recent form is strong enough to suggest that it will do just that. That leaves Knox and Barker. Usually this one has a great "local derby" feel to it but this time around it's an anticlimax. The wheels have fallen off Knox in a big way, and Barker has found it a pretty tough season. Both teams will be looking forward to a break and if recent weeks are anything to go by Knox will have a badly weakened side.

All of which makes me wonder if the ten-game, home-and-away format isn't a bit too much. On the plus side, the format should produce a winner that really is the school with the greatest depth and endurance. On the down side, this year the competition has ended with a whimper because, like last year, the winner was clear from quite early on. The five-game competition could produce anomalous results but there weren't many "dead" games. Plus, the pre-competition games have almost gone out of existence now, with most schools playing only two or three games outside the competition matches. That's a shame, I think, because it's good for CAS teams to test themselves against GPS and ISA schools in games where both sides aren't resting key players.

M

meathead

Can anybody from waverley confirm the news that their prop T.Cipolla is doing pathways to pursue his schoolboy rugby career?
This would be a great prospect for the 2012 side as they are in dire needs of some solid props and size in the front row.

R

relborG

Knox look to be fielding quite a strong side in fact with the return of: Johnson, Cottee, Creeley and Scarano. Only three injuries to the forwards and replaced by former 1sts reps.

R

rockon

Can anybody from waverley confirm the news that their prop T.Cipolla is doing pathways to pursue his schoolboy rugby career?
This would be a great prospect for the 2012 side as they are in dire needs of some solid props and size in the front row.

i would certainly hope not...

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)

Hey meathead, what is pathways? I'm not familiar with this. I heard Debreczini did it this year.

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)
Aaah... anyone still interested?

With one game left, Trinity is certain to finish first, and Cranbrook can't shift the wooden spoon. I guess Trinity's motivation will be preserving an unbeaten record, and it's hard to see St Aloysius stopping that. Waverley will be pretty keen to reverse its defeat to Cranbrook in the first round and its recent form is strong enough to suggest that it will do just that. That leaves Knox and Barker. Usually this one has a great "local derby" feel to it but this time around it's an anticlimax. The wheels have fallen off Knox in a big way, and Barker has found it a pretty tough season. Both teams will be looking forward to a break and if recent weeks are anything to go by Knox will have a badly weakened side.

All of which makes me wonder if the ten-game, home-and-away format isn't a bit too much. On the plus side, the format should produce a winner that really is the school with the greatest depth and endurance. On the down side, this year the competition has ended with a whimper because, like last year, the winner was clear from quite early on. The five-game competition could produce anomalous results but there weren't many "dead" games. Plus, the pre-competition games have almost gone out of existence now, with most schools playing only two or three games outside the competition matches. That's a shame, I think, because it's good for CAS teams to test themselves against GPS and ISA schools in games where both sides aren't resting key players.

Saw some of the Trinity 1st XV players at a junior rugby day this morning and they spoke that one of their goals would be to try and achieve 82 points to break the 500 point barrier for the season. Sounds like we are in for some entertaining rugby at Aloys this afternoon. The attitude will be to spin the ball around. Aloys are coming into some form, so not sure if that will be achieved but the intent is there so lets hope we see attractive rugby from both sides to finish off the rugby season. Hope to see some Trinity supporters there to give them a fitting send off for a wonderful season of entertaining rugby.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Trinity 29 Defeated Aloys 17

in a highly entertaining game. Aloys were very impressive, Trinity seemed to be a little off today but they still managed to get the job done. Aloys were ahead at half time 10-7 but Struggled a bit after the break. But it was still a terrific performance by the Aloys boys.

C

Casnovian

in a highly entertaining game. Aloys were very impressive, Trinity seemed to be a little off today but they still managed to get the job done. Aloys were ahead at half time 10-7 but Struggled a bit after the break. But it was still a terrific performance by the Aloys boys.

All credit to the Alos players - came out firing and out for a big game. Sad for the home crowd though - they were feral - annoying the Trinity players! Must have been pissed off by the security guards stopping the booze from coming in from Eastern Valley Way.

Suck it in princesses!!

First time for anything .....an assistant referee actually listened to the crowd about alleged stomping ....which by the way is a red card offence not a yellow one! (Stu where are you?).

Thankfully there was some sanity with one Alos supporter who said - "in my day I would have been sent off for not doing what the player did".

You got that right sir.

If you don't want to play rugby - roll the F... away!

Well done to Trinity for the year.

So let it be.

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)

Well done to Aloys. They played really well and defended like their lives depended on it. Kennedy was inspirational and made a great run cutting right through the defensive line from a drop out. Trinity definately off their game but still made some good breaks and plays. They left a few points out there with uncharacteristic handling errors and bombed a few tries. However, Aloys are always hard to beat at home so a good effort. Aloys 10-7 lead at half time. Trinity came back strong and dominated field position in the second half. They led 29-10 with 12 to go and let in a soft charge down try to leave the scores at 29-17 at full time. All in all it was good to see a contest for once. Congratulations Trinity on being undefeated premiers. Not sure when we will see that again. Well done to Aloys for playing so well.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
St Aloysius may not have been the best opposition Trinity met in this competition, but they were probably the smartest, working out a game plan and sticking to it with good discipline. They starved Trinity of possession for the first twenty minutes, and took a lead after Kennedy caught a drop-out inside his own half and made a great run into Trinity's quarter that eventually led to an Aloys line-out from which the forwards rolled over. Williams converted for 7-0. Aloys should have built on that advantage. Cameron Orr was given ten minutes in the bin for "stomping". It was a touch judge's report. What Orr actually did was ruck the back of an Aloys player who was lying on the Trinity side of the ruck. It looked a bad decision to me, but I guess rucking has pretty much gone out of the game now. When he went off Malaki came on to replace Hazell, who had a back injury. He lasted about a minute before he was given ten in the bin for a lifting tackle - a correct decision, I thought, but one that left 13 playing 15.

Aloys should have done better in that stage of play, but Debreczini (whose timing was a bit erratic today) played well, slowing play down and getting Trinity into safe field position. Henry Clunies-Ross went over in the corner from a neat move and Debreczini converted for 7-7. Williams added a penalty just before half time so Aloys went in up by three points.

Early in the second half Trinity battered the Aloys line for a time before Debreczini elected to level the scores by taking an easy penalty. The penalty was for offside at the ruck on the Aloys line - the offender was practically standing at scrum half for Trinity - why this was not a yellow card offence I don't know. Not long after, Clunies-Ross crossed for his second and Pat Kennedy went off injured. A pity that Kennedy's outstanding season ended that way, and I thought Trinity would run riot at that point, especially as their scrum became completely dominant, snatching a couple of tight heads. Pat Sio (whose handling was poor throughout the game) produced a trademark charge to score in the corner and Alex Logan hit a short pass from Debreczini to score, and it was 29-10, but Aloys kept trying and were rewarded with a try to their No10 after a rather over-ambitious chip kick from Jamieson Clarke was charged down inside his own quarter.

So Trinity finished ten from ten. Today I though Cameron Orr and Harrison Orr had excellent games, running really strongly. Logan had a great game, flawless in defence, holding up a pass nicely for the first Clunies-Ross try, and scoring one of his own. The back line as a whole lacked its usual cohesion and maybe tried to be too flashy, but Debreczini still controlled the game at the stages that mattered. Mae seemed to be everywhere, perhaps an under-rated flanker.

You wouldn't say that this Trinity team is the best that the CAS, or even the school, has seen. What is undeniable, though, is that there has never been such a dominant team throughout a competition. Their average was something like 45 points a game, and that isn't something that happens very often: and they allowed twenty points only once (in a game when they scored 63). It has been a team with some obvious and infuriating weaknesses (hopeless lineout, poor discipline at times) but with quite remarkable strengths. Well done to them.

M

Malo

Barker over Knox 19-11. Hard game with Barker convincing in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.