• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

PS If Sideline's team is Legit . which I wouldn't doubt . don't know why Andrews wouldn't go to 10 and leave Hardaker at 12?

Barker team list?

It's from the School app.
i dont like Hardaker as a 10 but maybe I'll be proved wrong or maybe he wont start there.

S

sidelineview

Tips for the Season SV?

I've gotta go with Waverley to come first but I'm not cocky. It depends a lot on injuries to all teams as well, although Waverley do have good depth. Knox or Barker to finish 2nd; undecided.

To have a player of Tadgh Murphy's high calibre to step into Moretti's shoes is a huge bonus. Murphy has been out injured but hopefully completes the season without mishap. Fully fit he was good enough to make one of the CAS teams and possibly a State team. He and Moretti are both in Year 11.

Eden Rogers-Smith is also injured at the moment but he's another quality player who has been in the 2nd XV so far this season.

I'm not too clued up with the depth of other teams tbh.

Any team can have an off day and a one-round comp robs you of a second bite of the cherry, so anything can happen.

Again, I'm not cocky but after Saturday I expect Knox and Waverley to have remained undefeated which would bring it down to the last round when the two teams will clash at Queens Park.

Thats if Knox beat Barker and Waverley defeat Trinity in the second last round. Thats a big If. This Saturday's results will be very interesting.

I also have a lot of faith in the Waverley coaches. Who knows what they're up to in naming Hardaker at 10 against Barker. They may have spotted a weakness in the Barker's 10-12 area and will instruct Hardaker to run and take on the line. Who knows?

It still remains a 3 horse race.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^Have to agree, think injuries will play a big part , Knox don't appear to have the depth this year as previous years. Still think Barker will go very close if they can keep their top team on the paddock, saturday is a tremendous opportunity for them with a weakened Waves team

S

sidelineview

^^^Have to agree, think injuries will play a big part , Knox don't appear to have the depth this year as previous years. Still think Barker will go very close if they can keep their top team on the paddock, saturday is a tremendous opportunity for them with a weakened Waves team

Agree, and the Barker coaches would have done their homework; but then again so would have the sneaky Waverley coaches. The smartest game plan might be the difference.

it should be a very good contest.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree, and the Barker coaches would have done their homework; but then again so would have the sneaky Waverley coaches. The smartest game plan might be the difference.

it should be a very good contest.

And a Very,very large crowd...with the new grandstand in play.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Waverley 1st XV - Mr Coleman/Mr Cornish

H Doyle
W Johnston
W McCormick
T Murphy
J Ellis
H Whiteman
L Cornish
F O'Sullivan
M Bell
B Hardaker
P Baldwin
L Wallace
B Howard
D Andrews
B Donaldson (C)

Injured/Unavailable
H Foley
L Thompson
R Thorn
B Paterson
M Torsellini
D Quan
P Cocks
F Wright
L Moretti
E Rogers-Smith
A Mattick

Looks like they are putting Donaldson back to work against the box kick of Tejcek.

Tejcek is a box kicker aficionado and I'm sure Waverley are aware of that, so that's likely the reasoning.

Murphy at second Row is interesting- they are playing five backrowers with that team which means they will be mobile.

Murphy is a pretty good replacement for Moretti. Would have possibly been in the team had he not missed the first half of the season. Doyle is a pretty handy replacement as well. I would rate him over most the other front rowers except for waves and Knox in the comp. Just a tough year to make firsts with the quality at the top.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Tejcek uses the box kick I think because of the over abundant speed of the chasers he has available. It works very well on the odd occasion as an attack. Who knows the chess game that is going on at the moment.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Looks like they are putting Donaldson back to work against the box kick of Tejcek.

Tejcek is a box kicker aficionado and I'm sure Waverley are aware of that, so that's likely the reasoning.

Murphy at second Row is interesting- they are playing five backrower a with that group which means they will be mobile.

Murphy is a pretty good replacement for Moretti. Would have possibly been in the team had he not missed the first half of the season. Doyle is a pretty handy replacement as well. I would rate him over most the other front rowers except for waves and Knox in the comp. just a tough year to make firsts with the quality at the top.

Might also be protecting Donaldson from Reimer at scrum and lineout time...;)

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Might also be protecting Donaldson from Reimer at scrum and lineout time.;)

I don't think they need protecting from him when he plays 8 and not 7. If he is shooting out into the 10 in that manner there is a lot of room behind the line.

Hopefully, for Barkers sake, he does drift across from a set piece like an 8 is meant to. Otherwise there will be a hell of a lot of space behind the first defender.

Plus having seen him play and the Barker games this year, he acts as their on ball man off lineouts.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't think they need protecting from him when he plays 8 and not 7. If he is shooting out into the 10 in that manner there is a lot of room behind the line.

Hopefully, for Barkers sake, he does drift across from a set piece like an 8 is meant to. Otherwise there will be a hell of a lot of space behind the first defender.

Plus having seen him play and the Barker games this year, he acts as their on ball man off lineouts.

Time will tell i guess.

S

sidelineview

Murphy at second Row is interesting- they are playing five backrowers with that team which means they will be mobile.

Murphy is a pretty good replacement for Moretti. Would have possibly been in the team had he not missed the first half of the season. Doyle is a pretty handy replacement as well. I would rate him over most the other front rowers except for waves and Knox in the comp. Just a tough year to make firsts with the quality at the top.

That makes sense. Donaldson's positional play is excellent, he has safe hands, is a good runner in broken play and can offload.

If Barker employ a kicking game, Hardaker may hang back with the fullback. He's a dangerous runner of the ball in broken play and can turn defence into attack. Waverley's support play and ability to offload is one of their main strengths when they get a roll on.

With Hardaker named at 10 and with the mobility they have in the forwards, Waverley wont be kicking too much. They'll be wise not to kick to Lloyd if they do.

Murphy's no 1st XV replacement player. He's the real deal, but who do you leave out to put him in? A good problem for the coaches to have now.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^ Am i missing something here fellas? Didn't you guys blow up a couple of weeks ago when the NSW Schools coaches played Donaldson at 15 and Hardaker not selected at 12, or is my memory fading me?:(

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^ Am i missing something here fellas? Didn't you guys blow up a couple of weeks ago when the NSW Schools coaches played Donaldson at 15 and Hardaker not selected at 12, or is my memory fading me?:(

We did. Maybe the Waverley coaches learnt a great lesson from the excellent coaching of Heargreaves and realised Donaldson was a 15.
Or
Maybe it's a big middle finger to the Barker coaching staff. Guess we will find out when they play tomorrow.

S

sidelineview

Yeah but that was different.
Donaldson was selected as a 10 for NSW but another player was being given more time in the position. That situation was rectified.

This time the coaches must have a game plan which sees Donaldson better suited as fullback and under the high ball. They may see him as their safest option; I'm not sure.

The Barker coaches will need to employ a smart game plan to give themselves a good chance of winning, and playing a tactical kicking game may be their answer.

But having said that, it doesnt mean the Waverley team will remain as named throughout the game.

S

sidelineview

We did. Maybe the Waverley coaches learnt a great lesson from the excellent coaching of Heargreaves and realised Donaldson was a 15.
Or
Maybe it's a big middle finger to the Barker coaching staff. Guess we will find out when they play tomorrow.

There will be extra motivation for some Waverley players to have a big game tomorrow.

B

Backline_Move

Or

I'm pretty confident its the latter and that Waverley will beat barker by 30 plus after the way they were treated at the school champs.

The entire CAS is Behind Waverley tomorrow, except barker that is. But everyone is dismayed about the coaching at the champs.

They have dug their own grave here.

Reactions: WLF
Status
Not open for further replies.