• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I think Flaherty (B lock) Frear (K hooker/prop) and maybe Leigh (K winger) could feature in starting side or off the bench. Is Andrews (W) yr 11 this year? He could be a show for other wing.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
1. Ginis (T)
2. Frear (K)
3. Pollard (B)
4. Moretti (W) Aus Schools
5. Whiteman (W) NSW reserve (2's)
6. Reimer (B) NSW reserve (1's)
7. Molloy (W) NSW u16 by 2
8. Murphy (W)
9. Tejcek (B) NSW reserve (2's)
10. Ilias (T) NSW 1's
12. Towns (W)
13. Cameron (K)
15. Westbury (A)

Here's a start at a possible 2018 GPS 1sts, based purely on those who made 2017 GPS 2nds or higher. I've probably missed a few too.

1. Angus Bell - Australian schools
5. Jeremy Williams - NSW 1
6. Brett Wellington - NSW 2
8. Will Harris - NSW 2
10. Vince Creagh - GPS 2
12. Charlie Savala - NSW 2
13. Dom Easy - NSW 2
14. Angus Bell - NSW 2
15. Johnny Connolly - GPS 1

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I think Flaherty (B lock) Frear (K hooker/prop) and maybe Leigh (K winger) could feature in starting side or off the bench. Is Andrews (W) yr 11 this year? He could be a show for other wing.

Andrews is actually a born 5/8 and he is in year 11, as you know its a bit hard when you have a Ben Donaldson in front of you, but Andrews will be back next year and stronger for the experience of playing fullback in the 1's this year.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
1. Ginis (T)
2. Frear (K)
3. Pollard (B)
4. Moretti (W) Aus Schools
5. Whiteman (W) NSW reserve (2's)
6. Reimer (B) NSW reserve (1's)
7. Molloy (W) NSW u16 by 2
8. Murphy (W)
9. Tejcek (B) NSW reserve (2's)
10. Ilias (T) NSW 1's
12. Towns (W)
13. Cameron (K)
15. Westbury (A)

Barker certainly look strong for next year, have a look at the number of Wave boys above, these boys plus a few others will form a strong team in 2018.

Like Barker, the Waves will have 10+ boys who currently play in the 1s or have been a part of the 1s squad this year, and have played several games.

The forward pack in particular will be very strong.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Link below is from last Saturday's Round 1 QLD GPS clash between Nudgee College and Gregory Terrace.

If time poor cue to around 67 mins on match clock at top of video (or around 1hr15mins in video run time).

Spectacular and quite controversial finish. Well worth a watch. Check it out.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed. The selectors only need to sit down to a Damian McKenzie (Chiefs) highlights package to disavow themselves of the view that you have to be large to be effective.

Thats why McKenzie with his electrifying pace and stepping will NEVER be picked to start for AB's ahead of the tall timbers.
KEY criteria of a fullback: You must be able to defend(llod) and secure the high balls.
McKenzie is a generous 1.75cm.

Incumbents for AB's :
  1. Ben Smith (1.86m)
  2. Jordie Barrett (1.96m)
  3. Israel Dagg(1.86m)
For Australia:
  1. Israel Folau (1.93-1.95 m)
  2. Luke Morahan(1.88m)
  3. Dane Haylett-Petty (1.89m)
At this level(Int'l), they all have speed, but not all have power and height. Those are gifts some are blessed with. Israel Folau and Jordie Barrett have re-defined the FB role and the advantages of being tall and athletic.

B

Backline_Move

Anyone have team lists for any teams this weekend?

Interested to see who Waverley will be playing with a few boys out and what Barker and Aloys will look like on the weekend.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone have team lists for any teams this weekend?

Interested to see who Waverley will be playing with a few boys out and what Barker and Aloys will look like on the weekend.

BM, Not yet I think we will all know on Thursday/Friday.

I can tell you the Waves are without Finn Wright and Luca Moretti, their backups though are so strong, and there is a choice, so those chosen will be fired up.

Rod Skellet did say he was impressed by the St. Pats team v Barker last Sat but I have also heard that the St.Pats isn't so strong. So who knows.

There is no doubt that Barker at home will be so fired up, it really is their grand final, the question will be can they handle the Wave pack, and if the Waves back line functions early then....

Time will tell, same applies to the next games Trinity and Knox.

I assume Knox is playing Aloys, and is the Knox team at full team?

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
BM, Not yet I think we will all know on Thursday/Friday.

I can tell you the Waves are without Finn Wright and Luca Moretti, their backups though are so strong, and there is a choice, so those chosen will be fired up.

Rod Skellet did say he was impressed by the St. Pats team v Barker last Sat but I have also heard that the St.Pats isn't so strong. So who knows.

There is no doubt that Barker at home will be so fired up, it really is their grand final, the question will be can they handle the Wave pack, and if the Waves back line functions early then..

Time will tell, same applies to the next games Trinity and Knox.

I assume Knox is playing Aloys, and is the Knox team at full team?

Knox should be close to full strength maybe a couple players out/returning from injury.

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
Sorry, are we talking about the same barker team that lost to Joeys 2nd XV 35-22 and the same Waverley team that beat Joeys 1st XV 47-21? Waverley are on another level, I'm surprised that you're even questioning the result of this matchup

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
There is no doubt Waves deserve to be clear favourites and yes the above results do indicate that this should be a stroll for Waverley.

I will say this though, if joeys 1st played joey's 2nds it would be a 10 point game. And Barker won the second half convincingly against Joey's 2nds 22/11, being down 24 nil at half time.

Even without Moretti and Wright, Waves will be strong but Barker are at home and the lads in red will be waiting.

Playing clever rugby can undo even the best sides with a bit of luck.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Sorry, are we talking about the same barker team that lost to Joeys 2nd XV 35-22 and the same Waverley team that beat Joeys 1st XV 47-21? Waverley are on another level, I'm surprised that you're even questioning the result of this matchup

I'm not suggesting Barker WILL win. Far from it.

But i think the match will be alot closer than those scores from 13 May would suggest.

The term break can do strange things. So can the number of players a team had participating in the nationals.

The nationals keeps players match fit (clearly a positive) but it can also lead to fatigue, a loss of players through injury and a need to re-establish combinations, as players who played in the nationals would have been playing with lads from other schools and associations.

The impact all this will have on Waverley and Barker (or any of the schools) is the great unknown.

Last year, in the GPS, Riverview had the most at the Nationals (8 I think). They were most people's favourites before they all went on holidays. They lost the first 3 after the holidays and ended up second.

All this tells me that anything is possible this weekend and I think Barker most definitely CAN win. But I'm tipping a narrow win to Waverley.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
^^^^^

In the context of my post above, I think Barker's decision to play a trial last weekend was very clever..

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
For the record Barker had 3 starting players in NSW 1s v Qld 1s in the 3rd v 4th playoff.. despite losing narrowly to Qld, the Barker lads stepped up with Reimer scoring the first try for NSW and Lloyd then scoring the next 3 tries earning him a spot in the Baa Baas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
It should be a good game definitely- good luck to both teams. I suspect Waverley will have some fire in their belly after the controversies at School champs.

If they make that the focus though, they will get distracted and let Barker take the reigns.

That would be the way to let Barker win.

It's a danger game for Waverley, will be a good contest.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Rod I understand they had three starters, but only after a player was controversially taken up from the 2nds reserves over the Waverley player and only after several injuries did Reimer get into the backrow.

I know they started, but I think their coach definitely influenced that outcome, not selectors.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod I understand they had three starters, but only after a player was controversially taken up from the 2nds over the Waverley player and only after several injuries did Reimer get into the backrow.

I know they started, but I think their coach definitely influenced that outcome, not selectors.
That's the swings and roundabouts of schoolboy representative rugby. In 20 years time people will just remember who started.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
That's the swings and roundabouts of schoolboy representative rugby. In 20 years time people will just remember who started.

In 20 years time they will remember who was selected as starters and in what positions. Not who started different games throughout the week. Only the players would know that and they would be aware of the circumstances around those nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.