• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Club Players with potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert

Yup, I think you're spot on. Pretty sure they all bit the bullet, decided he's a nine rather than a ten, and gave him a week (or two?) in the 2s to get used to the new position again. Don't think he'd played at scrumhalf at all for a couple of years. Keith Holmes reckons he's going good now.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I saw him play No 10 for Joeys last year and thought he was rubbish - one of the reasons they lost 3 games last year.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Randwick seem to waste a bit of money though. Kade Astley in 2nds at Riverview last season had a unit set up for him and was given $8,000 a lot of clubs wouldn't even consider paying a player like that.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Right, just thought I would add another Brissy player. Bond (not sure of first name), the Norths 12 on the weekend looks a very strong and assured player. He has a decent boot on him as well. Anyone else seen much of his play?

T

tranquility

has been a standout for a few seasons now. although I am not sure how old he is? or of his rugby backround? he was in the Reds wider training group preseason.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Michael Bond is a solid hard running inside back who has been part of the Reds wider training squad. He spent a couple of years with the Brisbane Broncos and signed at one stage with the Melbourne storm I think. He is still in his early to mid 20's. Seems to me to be fairly capable and on the few occasions I've seen him play he seems to have most of the required skills. Probably not quite at Super 15 level but it has been hard to tell as with Norths he is regularly outshone by centre partner Blair Connor.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is a good thread. Good comments by all but especially Bruce and Albert about their clubs. It has made me concentrate a bit better on the TV club games every Saturday.

I guess we should talk about potential to be in a S14 stable - to get a rookie contract or a professional academy contract. Guys like Adam D'Arcy from Manly are in such academies so their potential is already known.

These are mostly comments on players who others have mentioned already.

10. Josh Gamgee - handy backup and can play 9 and 12 also. I wrote somewhere that I thought the Force should pick him up as a domestic fill in when Pretorius injured himself, but they got Sam Harris instead. He'd only be valuable as an emergency for next year or maybe the year after as he is already 30.

10. Ben Seymour - is in the Tahs amateur academy. The 19 y.o. Kiwi left Uni Colts to test himself in Grade and was so good in 2nds that he superseded Gamgee at Manly during the 2009 season. He's probably the reason why Josh went to Forshaw Park. I rate both of them, but Seymour has youth on his side. Definitely a pro academy candidate.

8. Ita Vaea - the 21 y.o. is in the Brumbies amateur academy. He's 111kgs now and knows how to get over the gain line. He's been in fine form for the SD Rebels and must be a good chance for a pro academy spot in the other Rebels outfit.

8. Marlon Solofoti - is a true journeyman and has been all around the joint and in league is well. He's played for Samoa but not, I believe, in a test match. He's 28/29, 115kgs, as tough is nails and gets over the gain line a lot for Manly.

1. Salesi Manu - have mentioned the U/20 LHP's form for Manly this year more times than I, and no doubt others, care to remember.

15. John Grant - long striding runner. Thought he would be elevated by now. Haven't seen much of him this year though.

6. Sitiveni Mafi - looked good as 8 for SD against Randwick on the weekend and can play in the 2nd row, but 6 may be his position in Super rugby. Has been in the Tahs stable before and it's good to see him back.

6. Dylan Sigg - the 197cm and 110kgs Manly lock whose speed and athleticism would be wasted in the 2nd row. He's about 26; so I expected to see him in a pro job by now.

13. Cameron Mitchell - is in the Tahs amateur academy. The 2008 Oz Schools captain may have had a rookie contract by now had he not have been injured for most of 2009 - and indeed a lot of 2008 at school; so he will have to prove himself this year as a more hardy player. Can play on the wing now too - watch this space when Cam returns from the U/20 tournament. This may be his make or break year. Ouch - poor choice of words that.

I used to get sick of watching Uni on TV all the time but now I miss them. They''ll have their Super players back next time I see them and I hope that McDuling and Carter keep their places so I can look at them. I rated McDuling as a schoolboy but he hasn't taken my eye as a senior player. I don't know a lot about Carter and look forward to assessing him too.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think you'd be able to squeeze 6-8 potentially S14 quality Victorians out of Vic Premier grade/Colts. Probably at least 2 or 3 from mine but we are one of the traditionally better clubs.

It would be a long process to suss them out though. A year or two of professional level training and a year in shute shield to sort out if they are the real deal or a pretender. I hope they do it though and use them to replace the older rebels recruits as they retire. I hope the Rebs won't become a financial entity with no links to community rugby like the Storm is to community league.

Out of interest would many Sydney clubs be willing to take a punt on a player looking for this kind of opportunity? By that I mean set him up and stuff.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Most Sydney clubs as seen by the Force players are willing to fly over Super 14 squad members/set them up when a Super 14 season finishes(when they aren't required at training) till the end of the Club season.

I think with the club competition it looks like Rod wants guys to have an association with for a few seasons as well as a school I think it was.

I would be trying to relocate Sydney/Brisbane players looking for oppurtunity to be part of a wider training squad or with the possibility of playing for the Rebels 2nd XV.

Thoughts?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Most Sydney clubs as seen by the Force players are willing to fly over Super 14 squad members/set them up when a Super 14 season finishes(when they aren't required at training) till the end of the Club season.

I think with the club competition it looks like Rod wants guys to have an association with for a few seasons as well as a school I think it was.

I would be trying to relocate Sydney/Brisbane players looking for oppurtunity to be part of a wider training squad or with the possibility of playing for the Rebels 2nd XV.

Thoughts?

Community Rugby is Victoria has a solid set-up and they need to show sooner rather than later that there is a genuine path from Vic Prems to Rebels Squad (or even Academy if that's all that's on offer).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Victoria schools players will be chuffed by the new franchise and that will spill over to South Oz also - and Tassie.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think South Australia could potentially create some good players but I wouldn't bank on Tassie. They always struggle to even find the players to even put together a schools side.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I rated McDuling as a schoolboy but he hasn't taken my eye as a senior player. I don't know a lot about Carter and look forward to assessing him too.

I think you'll be very impressed when you see McDuling again, Lee. He has grown an arm and a leg since last year thanks, as I mentioned before, to a very solid and well-directed off-season and also growing toughness. Carter is keeping pace with him although they are very different styles of player. Carter is a real spring-heel who climbs high in the lineout. He is the son of Wallaby David Carter.

Cyril Towers (30)
It's going to be tough for these guys when all the rock stars are back. McDuling, in particular, and also Carter have done a lot of the hard work for Uni in the tough weeks at the start of the season, but we are going to have to fit Dennis, Waugh, McCalman, Davidson, and McCutcheon into the pack somewhere (although McCutcheon's involvement might be minimal with 7s duties) and Dan Vickerman is reportedly back in June. I hope at least one of them manages to keep their spot for future development. McDuling's going the better of the 2 of them for mine but Carter is bigger and still has some growing to do and I think he will be the big improver over the next 12 months.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is this really great player running around for uni... I think his name is tom carter or something???

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
There is this really great player running around for uni... I think his name is tom carter or something???

The only running he did last Saturday was with the water - which impressed me, good to see him putting in the hard yards for the club off the field. Mr Halangahu however was lording it as a spectator (very well it must be said) all rugged up with his scarf on. Bless.

And I also think I saw some older bloke, think he might have been a Wallaby a number of years ago, wearing the filth tracksuit but was sure I had read of this person a few months back offering to help the Two Blues at Parra. I must have been mistaken. :fishing

W

Wrangler

In the Colts, Bryce Speechley is the skipper. A big, tall 8 or 6, mobile, tough, good in the air, gets across the gain line, very impressive workrate. Jock seems to rate him highly. Kid called Liam Walker, from Joeys, is another. Played mostly 10 at school and in rep stuff, but Boydy gave him a brief crack at 9 back in 2008 and he killed it - made GPS 1s and NSW shadow after only a handful of games at scrummie. After he finished at Joeys in 2009, Knoxy somehow got him to come to Randwick rather than take up an option with the Knights Toyota Cup rugby league squad. He's been playing 9 again the last few weeks, going awesome.

Dom Bower is the other one. This kid is a gun. I saw him play for CHS against GPS a few years ago and he was smoked by Greg Jeloudev (Kings, GPS, Syd Uni, Aus 20s). However, right now I reckon he's the most exciting player in our club. Only small, but lighting fast, great footwork, tough as nails, and great defence. I'll be amazed if he doesn't play 7s for Mr O'Connor in the next season or two. Probable won't get any taller, but could forge a great career in club footy, 7s and eventually OS.

Ive Watched the wicks colts team for a couple weeks now! and couldnt agree more with the 3 players u have names but i think a player that needs mention if dreadlocked prop Tim Metcher, has come up from the brumbies for the season and is a class prop!
Speechley is an awesome jumper but for some reason is jumping mainly at 6.
Walker moved has moved to 9 and has really given the wicks the kick up their ass they needed!
Bower is an awsome talent is one of the best young players i have seen for a long time, for a lil bloke he plays so far above his weight and is alot stronger then some players expect. I heard a rumour which you might b able to clear up is it true he has scored 19 tries in 7 games? and in the game against penrith raked in a score of 60 points???

Cyril Towers (30)

And I also think I saw some older bloke, think he might have been a Wallaby a number of years ago, wearing the filth tracksuit but was sure I had read of this person a few months back offering to help the Two Blues at Parra. I must have been mistaken. :fishing

No bites here

Status
Not open for further replies.