• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Club Players with potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert

Ive Watched the wicks colts team for a couple weeks now! and couldnt agree more with the 3 players u have names but i think a player that needs mention if dreadlocked prop Tim Metcher, has come up from the brumbies for the season and is a class prop!
Speechley is an awesome jumper but for some reason is jumping mainly at 6.
Walker moved has moved to 9 and has really given the wicks the kick up their ass they needed!
Bower is an awsome talent is one of the best young players i have seen for a long time, for a lil bloke he plays so far above his weight and is alot stronger then some players expect. I heard a rumour which you might b able to clear up is it true he has scored 19 tries in 7 games? and in the game against penrith raked in a score of 60 points???

Yep, error on my part - I neglected to mention Metcher, due to the fact he's already in the Brumbies program. I'm not well versed in the technical requirements of our brothers in the front row, but those in the club who know of such things speak highly of him.

Not sure of Bower's exact tryscoring record at present, I know he bagged plenty against Penrith and Parra. The most impressive thing though, is that unlike many electric outside backs who only threaten the opposition when defences are stretched and the attacking team has copious front-foot ball, Bower also scores tries against strong opposition. He seems to have the ability to pry open a gap even when Randwick are struggling for posession and position against the top teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think it's fair enough to pick fellows in S14 amateur academies - but not from professional academies as they are probably on the cusp of getting a Super contract anyway.

They amateur academy guys are more often than not young fellows a year or two out of school.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I like the look of Southern Districts fetcher Sean Doyle good on the ball a professional environment could do wonders for him.

Anyone seen him? Or know where he has come from?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
May as well add David Feao from Brisbane Souths. Only two years out of school and in his second year as a frontrower in Premier Grade. Currently away with Tonga at the 20's. Puzzles me how he didn't make the Aussie side? Maybe he is a little on the small side? Very tough young bloke.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I like the look of Southern Districts fetcher Sean Doyle good on the ball a professional environment could do wonders for him.

Anyone seen him? Or know where he has come from?

He played Colts for Souths last year although mainly in the centres. His style was more agression than finesse. He filled in in the back row on occasions and seems to have found a home there.

W

Wrangler

Not sure of Bower's exact tryscoring record at present, I know he bagged plenty against Penrith and Parra. The most impressive thing though, is that unlike many electric outside backs who only threaten the opposition when defences are stretched and the attacking team has copious front-foot ball, Bower also scores tries against strong opposition. He seems to have the ability to pry open a gap even when Randwick are struggling for posession and position against the top teams.

Thats very interesting about bower and by the sounds of it he should b a bolter for the sevens side as ive heard he is hands down the quickest in the comp.I look forward to him progressing through the wicks ranks and keeping an eye on him.

Sean Doyle is a player i rate very high will b suprised if he doesnt get grabbed by a franchise soon as he is only 20yo

R

RuggerFan

Michael Bond is a solid hard running inside back who has been part of the Reds wider training squad. He spent a couple of years with the Brisbane Broncos and signed at one stage with the Melbourne storm I think. He is still in his early to mid 20's. Seems to me to be fairly capable and on the few occasions I've seen him play he seems to have most of the required skills. Probably not quite at Super 15 level but it has been hard to tell as with Norths he is regularly outshone by centre partner Blair Connor.

I agree - he is ready to take the next step and could put serious pressure on the 12 spot at the Reds

GreenFrogg

Bob McCowan (2)
Anton Lavin is currently playing 2nd Grade at Easts.

For mine, the best unsigned Club players in Sydney are:

Pat Dellit (Easts Fullback)
Marlon Solofuti (Manly No 8 )
Steve Mafi (Wests Lock)
David McDuling (Uni Lock)
Ed Gower (Gordon Flanker)
Ben Roberts (Uni Hooker)
Will Brame (Manly Flanker)
Steve Evans (Norths Halfback)

Others who regularly excel and are already in programs but have not yet played S14 are Adam D'Arcy (Manly), Nemani Nadolo - aka Ratu (Manly), Tim Bennetts (Eastwood) and Maile Latekefu (Parra No 8 ).

Hello,

Please, excuse my bad english language but i'm french.
I'm a supporter of Section Paloise, a club in South West of France, one hundred kms far from Biarritz. Last international players in the club were Traille & Harinordoqui before they left for Biarritz.
Also greats memories about Garrick Morgan who played with the team for several years, 15 years ago.

Whe are now, one of the best teams of second french rugby league.
Today we know that Marlon Solofuti will play with us for the next season

Is somebody able to talk to me about this player, in simple english language, please :nta:

Thanks a lot. ;)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
GreenFrogg,

Welcome to the forum - please visit us again and talk about French rugby some time. Your English is good enough.

Solofoti is a good Sydney club player and I thought he was a chance to get picked in the new Melbourne S14 team as a backup, but they hired a few no. 8s. He should do OK in the Pro D2 though I wouldn't say he was Top14 standard.

This is what I wrote about him earlier in this thread:

8. Marlon Solofoti - is a true journeyman and has been all around the joint and in rugby league is well. He's played for Samoa but not, I believe, in a test match. He's 28/29, 115kgs, as tough is nails and gets over the gain line a lot for Manly.

He is no Harinordoquy but a he's good hard man. Good luck with him.

GreenFrogg

Bob McCowan (2)
Thank you very much Lee Grant for these informations.

It's was with pleasure that i 'll come back but i think i haven't many things to said, but if i can help you in anything.......

I hope so that Solofuti was good because we were poor to this post the past season even we go in semi final. We need a good N°8 for acces to level for growing in top 14
It will be our 5th season in proD2. Before we go in semi final of Top14 (Top16 in these years) in 1998 & 2000, we won the Cup in 1997-98, in semi final of HCup in 1998-99 and we were 2 times in final of Europeen Shield for one won.

We are a little people with Basque people for neighbour in the same administrative department. About 300 000 souls for an half département but we are the compacter county of rugby in France, we are, alone, one of the 24 comities of french rugby (France: 98 departments for 24 comities). It is the "Comité du Béarn".

The Section Paloise won 3 time the french championship and 3 times the Cup. Most important players formed by the club in the french rugby were Robert Paparemborde, Jean Piqué, François Moncla, Damien Traille, Philippe Bernat-Salles, David Aucagne, Imanol Harinordoquy, Nicolas Brusque & Lionel Beauxis. We play in green and white shirt.

We are knew as one of the best rugby formation in France. This year, we are classed N°3 after Stade Toulousain and Clermont as formation center.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lovely articles, gf, please don't stop contributing them. Does GreenFrogg have a red frog sibling/spouse/cousin?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lovely articles, gf, please don't stop contributing them. Does GreenFrogg have a red frog sibling/spouse/cousin?

He did, but the Crazy Frog ran him down on his motorbike....ding de ding ding dingding dingdingding. Sorry. ;)
Welcome also from me GreenFrogg, we are always happy to have some good overseas input around here - keep them coming.

R

rugby_man

Sean Doyle from Southern Districts is a player I'd like to see picked up by a Super 14 franchise. He is a very good 7 and he's only fairly young as well, being 20-21. Dave McDuling is another who is improving each year at Sydney Uni and will only get better. Hopefully he gets picked up as well as he's had a full year of playing against full grown men.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
From the SMH, Robert Guinness puts forward his club rugby team at the bottom. Still think its unbelievable that Alcock is unsigned for next year. Gets one shot against the Cheetahs, has a great game and may never get another shot...

Selector's roving eye scans game's lower levels for wildcard new players RUPERT GUINNESS
June 14, 2010

WHEN Chris Alcock was plucked from club rugby by the NSW Waratahs to cover for an injured Phil Waugh in round eight against the Cheetahs in Sydney, the reaction varied from ''What the …'' to ''Where did he come from?''.

Forget not being a signed Waratah or NSW Academy player coming from a representative program, Alcock, 21, had not even been noticed in the ranks of the Shute Shield.

Most knew the No.7 - fairly or not - as a solid Gordon member who had barely risen from the ranks of second grade, where he played last year's grand final, to first grade.

But NSW Rugby Union high-performance manager Scott Bowen had long been watching Alcock.

Gordon playing Warringah last year was the catalyst. ''Chris was the most dominant player on the field against a team that had Brett Sheehan, Josh Holmes in the centres and Beau Robinson,'' Bowen says.

''He carried the ball a number of times and consistently broke tackles against guys like Brett, Josh and Beau. I thought we had to keep an eye on this guy. We did.''

Alcock's chance with the Waratahs came after Waugh was injured in round seven against the Blues.

That he stayed with the squad for the rest of the season showed he impressed. It also showed that opportunity still exists for players who are not aligned to a Super province but populate the next tier down.

''It takes an organisation like ourselves punting on one of these guys and them backing themselves to take the opportunity they are given,'' Bowen says. ''Chris is an example that we now take to the clubs, saying if you perform consistently, someone is going to take notice.''

Sadly, for Alcock, his opportunity has not yet led to a Super contract for next season. The spot he would have wished for at the Waratahs next year instead went to Pat McCutcheon.

But that Alcock still got the chance raises the question: how many similar players are there who would be on the fringe of a Super rugby career?

A Herald team selection of club rugby shows there may be more than most realise.

If they hope for the chance Alcock got, Bowen says they must take ''the next step: see how they go against the likes of Sydney University. It will be interesting to see if they can step up.''

He should have found some of the answers in last Saturday's two games of the Shute Shield.

Warringah (ninth) produced an upset, beating Eastern Suburbs (fifth) 49-13 at Pittwater Rugby Park. They are now one win out of the top six.

Meanwhile, Manly (third) lost to Sydney University (eighth) 20-17 at Manly Oval. Manly's hope of beating a side full of Super 14 players was dashed in the final minutes when the Students were awarded a penalty try for a collapsed rolling maul.

Possible second-tier Sydney Super team

15 Nathan Trist (Sydney Uni)

14 John Grant (Eastwood)

13 James Lew (Nthrn Suburbs)

12 Albert Hopoate (Penrith)

11 Nicky Price (Sthrn Districts)

10 Ben Seymour (Manly)

9 Nathan Sievert (Sthrn Dist)

8 Ita Vaea (Sthrn Dist)

7 Hugh Perrett (Eastwood)

6 Ed Gower (Gordon)

5 Dylan Sigg (Manly)

4 Tom Alexander (Eastwood)

3 Martin Plokstys (Gordon)

2 Atonio Halangahu (Randwick)

1 Tetera Faulkner (Sthrn Dist)

Reserves: Elvis Taione (Manly), Jono Owen (Randwick), Ben Matwijow (Nthrn Subs), Beau Robinson (Warringah), Jeremy Su'a (West Harbour), Jai Ayoub (W Harb), Nick Reily (W Harb)

Cyril Towers (30)
RG seems to imply that Alcock was plucked out of clubland obscurity for the Cheetahs game, but he actually had a rookie contract with the tahs for this year and had played all the junior tahs games prior to the Cheetahs game. Seymour is also in the tahs academy but doesn't yet have a full contract, likewise Jono Owen for the Brumbies. Of all those guys I really like Faulkner the SD LHP. I haven't seen another prop get on top of him yet, and he's packed down against some good ones. Sievert is another good one who is back to his best after a bad run with injuries and he's only 22. I'm a big fan of Nathan Trist, but he hasn't regained his pace since he had a knee recon late last year, and I suspect he has given up on a pro rugby career and is now concentrating on his medical studies (he's in 2nd year of a 4 year post grad degree having already qualified as a physio - when he injured his knee in a game last year, the ref said "are you right mate?" and Tristy replied "nope, my ACL's fucked"). John Grant has had some nibbles from the Brumbies but is not currently signed, I believe. I would also have Dave McDuling and Ben Roberts on that list somewhere as well.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree on 1. Faulkner. First I put it down to SD doing so well; then the penny dropped that he was one of the reasons. It's a good front row isn't it? Agree on 9. Sievert as well, and that's even not counting his goal kicking. I think it was you who picked SD as the big improvers this year. How right you were.

I have a high regard for 8. Ita Vaea also as I have mentioned before. He's pro academy material, and growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.