• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Club Players with potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have previously mentioned the young Uni lock, Sam Carter. He had an absolute blinder against Gordon on Sunday.

At 200cm he weighs 110kg with sub-60 cm skinfolds. His mature playing weight should be around 120kg. He has been pushed back to 2nds a few times to accommodate Dave Dennis in the Uni 2nd row but he is an outstanding talent. Durable, hard and quick across the ground.

How old is he Brucie? No disgrace in being demoted because of Dennis though, is it?

[D'Arcy] sounds like what we need, particularly if he can kick goals. We're having a small crisis at fullback with Bryn Cunningham crocked and with Clinton Schifcofske gone to Super League. The fact that he could play for Ireland is a big bonus too due to the IRFU restrictions on non-qualified players. Thank you Mr. Grant.

From our point of view in Oz rugby it's a curse that promising players have Euro passports. As for his being eligible for Ireland: it would be so, but don't go thinking he's at the international level and is another Rob Kearney

He plays well enough in Sydney club rugby which is not a professional competition. Sure, many Super14 players who are not in the Wallabies play in the comp and even Wallabies get to play every now and then, but the bulk of the players are amateurs.

I heard that Shifty had gone back to league; he had played well last year in most of the Ulster games I saw. Can't remember Cunningham, but little Jamie Smith looked decent.

Can Trimble play fullback? He looks like an all-rounder who can play there. I have always rated him higher than the Ireland selectors have.

My favourite Ulster player is Ian Humphreys: he's a real character and a bit more expansive with his rugby than his big brother was. It's a pity that half the game is played when the other side has the ball otherwise he'd play for Ireland. Not the best tackler I ever saw. Mind you: ROG is not in my top 10 either.

H

Hartman

Chris Alcock unfortunately doesn't provide a lineout jumper option - as a replacement for Waugh that's fine since the Waratah lineout already makes do without, but might be a reason other S14 teams/academies might be apprehensive about signing him. Real pity as he is a very very good player.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I agree Hartman, Alcock is a terrific talent. Due to his size, I'd say he's got openside written all over his future, but there's a fairly handy bloke playing there for the Tahs right now. I'm surprised the Rebels weren't sniffing around or the Reds for that matter, with Braid heading home.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
How old is he Brucie? No disgrace in being demoted because of Dennis though, is it?

Sam Carter has just turned 21, LG. Certainly no disgrace the way that Dave Dennis has been playing in recent weeks. His form is markedly better than when Deans picked him for the Spring Tour.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I have previously mentioned the young Uni lock, Sam Carter. He had an absolute blinder against Gordon on Sunday.

At 200cm he weighs 110kg with sub-60 cm skinfolds. His mature playing weight should be around 120kg. He has been pushed back to 2nds a few times to accommodate Dave Dennis in the Uni 2nd row but he is an outstanding talent. Durable, hard and quick across the ground.

Bruce, if you had to pick between Carter and McDuling for a S15 gig, who would you prefer?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, if you had to pick between Carter and McDuling for a S15 gig, who would you prefer?

E'nE, McDuling has already been signed by the Reds for their professional academy. My mail was that Link was interested in the pair of them. Given that he now has a roster cluttered with ageing locks, he probably only had room for one of them. I think he may have made the right call in going for McDuling who is perhaps a year more advanced at this stage.

They seem to complement one another very well. McDuling is thick set and looks and plays like a 25-year-old. Despite his bulk he is quick in the open. Presently he jumps at 2.

Carter is a 200cm leaper, a scarce commodity in this country. He is jumping at 5 and elevates very rapidly and very high. They each have the potential to go all the way.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I agree Hartman, Alcock is a terrific talent. Due to his size, I'd say he's got openside written all over his future, but there's a fairly handy bloke playing there for the Tahs right now. I'm surprised the Rebels weren't sniffing around or the Reds for that matter, with Braid heading home.

I believe the Tahs have had Alcock in the gym working very hard. He has built up big time. He looks well over 100kg. They want him playing a more traditional 7 game. I think you will see him playing more like Phil Waugh rather than the ball running role he plays so well.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I assume McDuling will be playing Brisbane Club Rugby next season then?

Unfortunately, AD, that may well be the case, but I know where he would prefer to play.

Similarly, Lawrie Weeks is doing penance for signing with the Rebels by being forced to play for UQ rather than Sydney Uni. As he is still being paid by the Reds until the expiry of his contract he doesn't have much choice. Fortunately Queensland Uni are travelling well but I think the big bloke's interests would be better served playing in the Sydney comp.

However it probably doesn't matter that much as it would seem that Robbie Deans has deleted Lawrie's number from his list of contacts. Presumably because the Wallabies are so richly endowed with outstanding tight heads.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nice signing by the Reds there Bruce. Thanks for the heads up. Just the type of player we need in our Academy by the sound of it.

Gees I am a fan of Dave Dennis. I was one of the many who though "Dave who?" when picked to tour last year, and wrote him off. Saw him do some decent stuff in the highlight packages of the games he played. But I thought he was excellent for the Tahs this year. Don't know why he was dropped. I reckon, due to match fitness alone, he'd a better option than Higgers at the moment.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
However it probably doesn't matter that much as it would seem that Robbie Deans has deleted Lawrie's number from his list of contacts. Presumably because the Wallabies are so richly endowed with outstanding tight heads.

Very droll Brucie. :D :D :D

And I would repeat for the benefit of others what you said about McDuling earlier in the thread: McDuling is 196cm but has a massive wing span of about 204-206cm which makes his effective height much greater. At 115kg his VJ of 70 is virtually off the scale.

Crikey that's a big vertical jump.

Thanks for the news about the Reds Academy signing McDuling. The system doesn't always work but it may have this time.

Compared to other places round Oz NSW has a lot of promising 2nd rowers and it is well that someone is getting a chance elsewhere.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
From our point of view in Oz rugby it's a curse that promising players have Euro passports. As for his being eligible for Ireland: it would be so, but don't go thinking he's at the international level and is another Rob Kearney

He plays well enough in Sydney club rugby which is not a professional competition. Sure, many Super14 players who are not in the Wallabies play in the comp and even Wallabies get to play every now and then, but the bulk of the players are amateurs.

I heard that Shifty had gone back to league; he had played well last year in most of the Ulster games I saw. Can't remember Cunningham, but little Jamie Smith looked decent.

Can Trimble play fullback? He looks like an all-rounder who can play there. I have always rated him higher than the Ireland selectors have.

My favourite Ulster player is Ian Humphreys: he's a real character and a bit more expansive with his rugby than his big brother was. It's a pity that half the game is played when the other side has the ball otherwise he'd play for Ireland. Not the best tackler I ever saw. Mind you: ROG is not in my top 10 either.

The Irish-Qualified thing is more about keeping to IRFU squad restrictions rather than the prospect of him playing for Ireland someday anyhow. We've used up all our Non-IQ spots in our current squad with messrs Danielli, Pienaar, Wannenburg and Muller.

Shifty was a big loss when he left as Jamie is still growing into the role somewhat and is currently our only 1st team fullback available. Can't say I'm aware if Trimble has ever been tried at fullback and questions remain over his ability to deal with high balls.

Humph the Younger has his magic moments, but his inconsistency with the boot is a big part of the reason why other options for goal-kickers are being explored.

ROG has never been a favorite of mine. Him being chosen over Humphreys Senior for Ireland back in the day is still a sore point with a lot of Ulster fans.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm a bit disappointed D'Arcy never got a shot at 15 for the Tahs last year, it's not as if Anesi was setting the world on fire..

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I believe the Tahs have had Alcock in the gym working very hard. He has built up big time. He looks well over 100kg. They want him playing a more traditional 7 game. I think you will see him playing more like Phil Waugh rather than the ball running role he plays so well.

So what is Alcock doing next year? He has not received a contract - is he going back to the Academy or maybe going to the Sevens circuit for a year?

R

rugbyfan

I'm a bit disappointed D'Arcy never got a shot at 15 for the Tahs last year, it's not as if Anesi was setting the world on fire..

He really needs to bulk up to have a chance? Sure he has all the skills to match - but he would be dominated at that level

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
ROG has never been a favorite of mine. Him being chosen over Humphreys Senior for Ireland back in the day is still a sore point with a lot of Ulster fans.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Nothing much has changed then.

I hope that D'Arcy gets a spot with Ulster as I think it will benefit both parties.

Here is an article written almost exactly a year ago about Adam.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/union/this-clark-kent-could-be-the-tahs-superman-20090823-euls.html

Please kept posting in the forum and inform us about Ireland rugby matters.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Any Canberrans on here got any tips for future stars from the John I Dent Cup?

Having moved away I don't get to see anything.

I keep hearing that Nick White is tearing it up for Queanbeyan. Hopefully he'll get plenty of opportunities for the Brumbies next year.

Vikings apparently have an excellent backrow. They have Fainga'a, Savli and a no. 8 who is meant to be pretty good.

I'm assuming another Vikings v Queanbeyan final this year?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I'm pleased to hear that and hope that he gets some game time in the S15 next year. I can see future for him challenging guys like Hodgo for Wallaby back row places. I've probably put the mocker on him now ;)

Q

quasi-coach

Rugby Reg, I ncouldn't agree more on Dave Dennis at the moment. He was most likely the victim of a bit of favouritism at the hand of Chris hickey who tends to go with Ben Mowen in close selection decisions due to Ben captaining his Australian Under 21 team.
He is playing some excellent rugby at the moment and is now 110kg and even more capable of test football compared to his 106kg on the spring tour last year.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
So what is Alcock doing next year? He has not received a contract - is he going back to the Academy or maybe going to the Sevens circuit for a year?

He told me he has a Super 15 contract for 2011 with the Tahs. He went to the Canberra AIS 7's camp a couple of weeks ago. The purpose of the camp was to pick the final 12 for the Commonwealth Games. He was not selected.

After Delhi there will be a changing of the guard in the Sevens personnel with many having recently acquired a Super 15 contract and they will be replaced by new players. The ARU seem to have a good succession plan in place for sevens. They have recruited at least two players out of this years schools teams as an example.

On another thread I chose Alcock as one of the new players I thought will be picked in the squad for the 2010-11 international tour based on his running game and the fact the ARU thought he was in the top 20 sevens players in Australia by going to the AIS camp.

I mentioned he has bulked up and this strategy was developed by the Tahs coaching staff. However, sevens requires a different body shape to 15's. Sevens training involves alot of conditioning and power training whereas 15's is strength and bulk.

I think they need to let him know (if they haven't already done so) what they intend to do with him in the season ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.