• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Colts 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The suggestion that Manly paid significant sums for the colts they have recruited in 2013 is way off the mark, but it makes a good yarn. The truth is in fact much simpler, the players believed in the excellent colts program run by coach Harvey, there was an opportunity to obtain a bursery from ICMS, an excellent local educational facility, and they could see the clear super rugby pathway developed by Manly over the past 2-3 years. Makes sense if the above is taken into account.
In fact the Rats were the ones offering bigger bucks to keep the players at the Rat park - but to no avail.
And the proof was in the eating - with approximately 8 Academy players unavailable, the Marlins won the three colts trials by about 17 tries to 2.
In times when club rugby is under attack, my external but closely associated overview is that the board at Manly are doing most things very well.

Great reading, and it's good to hear. Looking forward to the season ahead.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you think that is bad, try Uni - Easts, Easts - Randwick, Randwick - Uni, Nearly everyone - Gordon, Nearly everyone to Uni, nearly everyone to Randwick, etc.

Tribalism is rife in SS (and healthy). Nothing wrong with a little cross border banter/hatred.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If you think that is bad, try Uni - Easts, Easts - Randwick, Randwick - Uni, Nearly everyone - Gordon, Nearly everyone to Uni, nearly everyone to Randwick, etc.
Tribalism is rife in SS (and healthy). Nothing wrong with a little cross border banter/hatred.

Great isn't it!
And if the ARU invested in that passion it would make a great 3T.
NRL, have their club comp as the Primary Focus, and State of Origen, and Tests feed off that.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
It's good he's staying in the game. There was talk of him going to League. A serious talent, this one.
Time will tell re league. There are some great young flankers ATM. You have Baldwin at Randwick as well who looks to be enjoying his footy. I think if you look up the line too such guys as Hooper and Gill only being one year out of 20's that the 7 jersey will be a very hotly contested position for a long time to come

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)

Yes indeed and it guarantees a good gate for the clubs . Manly at home to the Rats is the club's biggest payday each season. Yep hate those Ratties damn shame they ain't more competitive !

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
From what I can make out, Eastwood V's Manly colts was a close run thing. I think 3rd's drew, Eastwood won 2nd's by a try and Manly won 1st's by a try.

2 good colts clubs.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Manly beat Eastwood in colts 1 by 7 tries to 3. The other two games were close though
That was my understanding of the score - significantly Eastwood who are no slouches by any means lead 2 tries to 1 with the wind at their backs at half time. Manly literally blew them away in second half, will be watching Norths game with interest on Thursday night.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Manly 1s over Norths by 7. Manly 3s up 6 tries to 1 - 2s was at Norths 2-1 with 10 to go.
6 tries to 2 to Marlins in 1's - the hundy still there on the GF . I'll be brushing grade to watch Uni v Manly colts this year - so much talent . Reece Hodge at 10 for Marlins is a standout; Larkhamesque

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
After many years in the doldrums, Parramatta will field three Colts teams in 2013 kicking off against Uni round 1. Great season launch tonight with over 150 in attendance.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
6 tries to 2 to Marlins in 1's - the hundy still there on the GF . I'll be brushing grade to watch Uni v Manly colts this year - so much talent . Reece Hodge at 10 for Marlins is a standout; Larkhamesque
It was 7 tries to 1 - 4 in the first half 3 in the second. I too wil be watching the game against Uni but have noticed its on in June. Same time as the u20's JWC so we won't see the two full sides

Nos Tradamus

Frank Nicholson (4)
anyone have any predictions/ideas on how the lower grade colts are going to turn out? 1s should be sealed b/w the Students and Manly - but any guess on 2s and 3s?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I think there are a couple of clubs who would challenge Manly as a title contender and trial form is not a smart way to predict who is going to make the GF
Randwick have a few players returning from last year and have recruited well and Norths will be strong as will Eastwood but the smokey could be Southern Districts who have trialed well and have recruited strongly in players and coaching personnel.
I think 3rd colts comp could collapse during the season due to lack of numbers at a few clubs and Uni will walk in 2nd colts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Third Grade Colts became a bit of a hollow competition last year due to team numbers.

There have been promising noises from Parramatta and Gordon about their Colts nunbers this year.

What clubs will not be fielding 3rds Colts this year?

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
Third Grade Colts became a bit of a hollow competition last year due to team numbers.

There have been promising noises from Parramatta and Gordon about their Colts nunbers this year.

What clubs will not be fielding 3rds Colts this year?
Well Eastwood played Gordon today. While Eastwood have had quite a few injuries during the trails, there was still about 60 turned up today to play just 2 grades of Gordon, and some of them look like they doubled up. Could just be the holidays but I wasn't hearing good things about Gordon numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.