• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good Beer Week coming up soon in Melbourne, although it doesn't look as good as last year.........

https://www.goodbeerweek.com.au/

Around my way it will mostly be an American fare with the Great Northern once again being the home to the USA Pint of Origin and Brooklyn Brewery Parties.......

And Howler will be hosting Rogue Breweries beard and beer event.......

Unfortunately they're not hosting a Canberra Pint of Origin this year as I really enjoyed heading down to the Courthouse in Nth Melbourne for some Wig & Pen ales.......

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pre-Lions match meetup at the Clock in Crown Street Surry Hills on Sunday, 18 May. The Clock has Vale/IPA on tap (plus a 4 Pines, a German wheat beer, etc), the Vale crew support G&GR, let's support them and give their excellent product a nudge next Sunday. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE. :cool:

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Uralla brewery eyes bright future for its amber gold

http://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/s...eyes-bright-future-for-its-amber-gold/?cs=471

http://www.newenglandbrewing.com.au/

"Mr Stratton said it was also great to be able to access local ingredients, with the brewery sourcing malt from Tamworth. He’s been able to jump straight into brewing, with two new beers, the New Englander Golden Ale and the New Englander Dark Farmhouse."

"Since its inception little more than a year ago, the little brewery has been busy and now does regular deliveries to Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane."

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Haha, apparently including hops and ingredients that make beer, beer, is fancy now.

Can just see the head brewer down at VB crying out in anguish at the craft brewers. " fight fair your bastards, we're only allowed to use water and dogs piss to make our beer, you blokes are cheating"

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm enjoying a James Squire Hop Thief American Pale Ale.

So much so, I'll enjoy another.:)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks for the responses. Makes me jealous how close you are to decent (untried) brews. Any of these available at normal bottle-os?

Recently made a trip to The Beer Cartel Shop in Artarmon. Huge range of beers and good knowledgeable staff. Worth the trip and tolls.

They also run an on line ordering and delivery option. http://www.beercartel.com.au/epages...ectPath=/Shops/BeerCartel/Categories/Beer_ALL

For those outside NSW/ACT it is $15 per case delivery. Small price to pay for top quality beer delivered to your door, especially if your local bottlo just carries the usual suspects.

No reason for Gaggerlanders in isolated areas to not be able to enjoy quality craft beers and to join the conversation.

I think Plonk in Canberra also run online beer delivery.
http://www.plonk.net.au/index.php/beer.html

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Funny you should say that. Did a quick stop in Toowoomba on the way to Reds game last night and picked up a few to try.
a5anery5.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some fine choices there @Wheatman.

Good to see you have some stock of Gaggerland's sponsors product Vale IPA and Vale Ale.

You will not be disappointed as you attack the selection you have there.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Feral crew from the Swan Valley put out some awesome brews, as do 4 Pines from Manly. My son took me to lunch at 4P last year (he's become a craft beer aficionado after discovering my secret stash of decent beers!), there's always a Manly-only brew on tap, well worth sampling. Food was very good. I've been at him to take me for a feed and tasting at the Feral brewery but it's a bit far for a young lad. :(

James Squire seem to've grasped the craft beer concept well, their IPA, Pilsener and Porter brews are as good as any. I 'spose this isn't surprising with Chuck Hahn at the helm, this is what he wanted to do when he founded Hahn Brewing Company back in 1988. Conversely, Carlton have dropped the ball with their ownership of Matilda Bay, the only MB brew widely available is Fat Yak, and I must say it doesn't grab me. I.G.P. (a pleasant brew) and Beez Neez are sometimes on tap at Carlton-tied pubs but their better brews, Alpha Pale Ale, Bohemian Pilsner and Big Helga, are bloody hard to find. When MB first came on the scene (ie, pre-Carlton) their Redback and Dogbolter brews were everywhere, looks like they've died a quite death when the big boys took over. More power to the small craft brewers!

HJ, if you want to support the Vale crew their IPA's on tap at the Clock in Surry Hill, it's delicious.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks Hugh & Lindommer. One of the cartons underneath the six packs is Fat Yaks as well as My Wife's Bitter (which I do like) for a mate. Fat yak is one I don't mind but there were stuff all cartons of the craft beers unfortunately. Agree with the Bohemian - was a favourite nearly 10 years ago. Hard to find now, and I feel the taste has changed a little too (or more likely my palate!)
I'll look into the beer delivery, it'll be interesting to see how much it costs to get out here.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk