• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Schools programs are great for parents, because it happens while you're at work and you don't have to devote any time to it.

On a weekend when you have a couple of kids going to various things, family events, and some other bullshit like work or just having half a day to sit and relax, not so much.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So by the club having a presence in the schools, and he club sharing additional opportunities these young kids my play.

An example of this, we interacted with schools and ended up with 2 teams in the Central Coast 7's, and yes whilst this is not 15s there was a following development day within the schools that had 85 kids involved in rugby (public high school - CHS). It has to be work in progress, repeated, reviewed, repeated, reviewed and done well. We cant sit on our arses waiting for people above to spoon feed us.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That's the challenge, isn't it. Getting kids from playing 7s at school, to 15s for a club.

For all the talk of their success, it's exactly the same challenge faced by AFL. Their schools/Auskick programs are great but the translation to junior and senior numbers (in NSW and QLD) isn't that great.

From my limited experience of the AusKick program the biggest issue contributing to the conversion from the program to actually playing the game is the disconnect between it and the clubs.

I'm not a fan of providing the Shute Clubs with funding for performance reasons (anyone of a differing opinion who reads this let it be clear, I will not be discussing this. It has been done to death) but I would be open to funding being provided to these clubs as a means of developing cohesive link between the Game On program and actual participation.

Any such funding should be provided on the basis of allowing each club to employ a full time junior competitions development officer who would work with the DO's in the Game On program to convert as many of the program participants as possible to being regular club participants.

As far as I am concerned they could look to either develop the Shute Shield's junior wing (I'm thinking of the Argentine model here where a kids can essentially start his Rugby at age 6 and play with the one club right into adulthood) or work with the junior clubs within their catchments to organise and administer 7s, 10s and 15s competitions.

Part of this funding would also require (at least in my opinion) the identification of 4-5 other clubs outside of the Shute clubs to use as similar central clubs in the process.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
SPOT on WCR, I'd like to be able to give multiple likes.

I think it's the next challenge for the ARU. While it's easy to revel in the success of the program. And from what the ASC has reported it has been a success so far, they cannot rest on it. Not only do they need to work toward growing it (personally top 5 should be the goal) but they also need to do what few others have invested any real time or resources.And that's converting those numbers into participants outside of the educational confines.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not a fan of providing the Shute Clubs with funding for performance reasons (anyone of a differing opinion who reads this let it be clear, I will not be discussing this. It has been done to death) but I would be open to funding being provided to these clubs as a means of developing cohesive link between the Game On program and actual participation.

There would need to be much better trust that they would actually spend the money appropriately. And the first question I have, in NSW if this is needed why isnt it happening with the approx $1m licence fee to the NSWRU from Waratahs ltd?

Of course the bigger issue you alude to here:

Part of this funding would also require (at least in my opinion) the identification of 4-5 other clubs outside of the Shute clubs to use as similar central clubs in the process.

It's important to actively recruit in the "traditional" areas but I for one would object to funding on a skewed model to the recalcitrant SS which is not any longer representative of a more hollistic view of where we should be recruiting or growing the game.

If the SS want to truly push the grass roots, I mean truly, then lets go for it.

In the mean time, the 7s growth is fantastic news. I can only wish the best to those involved.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There would need to be much better trust that they would actually spend the money appropriately. And the first question I have, in NSW if this is needed why isnt it happening with the approx $1m licence fee to the NSWRU from Waratahs ltd?

Of course the bigger issue you alude to here:

It's important to actively recruit in the "traditional" areas but I for one would object to funding on a skewed model to the recalcitrant SS which is not any longer representative of a more hollistic view of where we should be recruiting or growing the game.

If the SS want to truly push the grass roots, I mean truly, then lets go for it.

In the mean time, the 7s growth is fantastic news. I can only wish the best to those involved.

I agree there would need to be checks and balances to ensure that these funds are being spent for the purposes they are intended. Which is why I would suggest that there should be significant oversight on behalf of the ARU.

It should be sold as a Club building initiative. I've been an advocate of the clubs re-examining their business models to one where they build their bases from the ground up. Become truly linked to grassroots by establishing large junior wings either under their own club banner or with junior village and subbies clubs within their catchment. Preferably a mix of both.

As for you're second point. I think you'd be hard press to seriously argue the current 12 adequately covers the length and breath of Sydney (I don't know about others like Brisbane but it could be the same). So as part of any such move I would like to see the ARU identify 4-5 other clubs in areas lacking representation and again provide funding to these chosen clubs to do exactly what I have suggested above. In some cases they may in fact need to establish a club but the point is to have 16 in Sydney (and whatever is workable in each city) that cover as large a geographical spread as possible linking with Game On (in some cases participating in it) to grow overall participation in the game.

Reactions: dru

half

Alan Cameron (40)
WCR

I think you are over thinking this.

Essentially a whole bunch of school kids have found an interest in Rugby. The trick is now to further engage with them this is why having park structures is vital .

The Rugby field near our Epping home has only I think 4 all age teams, however two to three nights a week 7's matches are being played. By many teams of different ages.

I am sure this is being repeated Australia over.

I assume the ARU has plans in place to take this uptake to other areas of the game, but to work it must be via the local club.

So many recent stories of how local clubs are raising to the challenge. I only see good in all this. The key for the ARU is to promote Rugby to support local park committees and volunteers and assist them in taking people to other parts of Rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR

I think you are over thinking this.

Essentially a whole bunch of school kids have found an interest in Rugby. The trick is now to further engage with them this is why having park structures is vital .

The Rugby field near our Epping home has only I think 4 all age teams, however two to three nights a week 7's matches are being played. By many teams of different ages.

I am sure this is being repeated Australia over.

I assume the ARU has plans in place to take this uptake to other areas of the game, but to work it must be via the local club.

So many recent stories of how local clubs are raising to the challenge. I only see good in all this. The key for the ARU is to promote Rugby to support local park committees and volunteers and assist them in taking people to other parts of Rugby.

The Game On program is really only the introductory vessel. It doesn't necessarily translate to participation or interest. We have seen growth which is excellent but more can be achieved by looking to implement programs that are designed to link with one another to provide clear pathways and opportunities for kids to start to engage with Rugby in more meaningful competition.

You have to address these issues. As above, for all the numbers banded about via the AusKick program the actual growth in participation does not correspond with it. That's because they haven't looked to link one with another.

So, it's not over thinking to want to see action that will maximise the conversion of those exposed to the game to becoming avid participants and importantly fans of the game.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
WCR

What you say is obvious however its more like a motherhood statement in so much as the often talked of pathway.

My understanding of the pathway is for the talented player to have the opportunity to develop skills but also move up the technical and ability, with an ultimate goal of local club, rep side, SS or equivalent side, NCR , test level.

I don't see the need for that here.

The Olympics has created a huge interest in 7's, especially among young girls.

What they need if the interest remains is a place to go after school and simply have fun. This is where park structures become a life line to the local community.

This is the great strength of soccer, they have massive park structures and competitions for all abilities no matter how bad.

Reports I have seen of local park clubs doing this and the evidence I see with my own eyes says the local park clubs are doing an excelelnt job.

As a matter of interest I have no idea how many rugby clubs we have, but lets say 250 Australia wide, if the ARU sent $ 500.00 for kits to each park club for balls, bibs, and cones for a small $125, 000 they could do a lot of good and help the volunteers and committee members in our park teams.

A mate of mine called like follows, we need to take advantage of this and take baby steps and to move constantly forward, So lets take baby steps and give them a local park to play in where they are safe and their parents can watch. [which is happening]

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR

What you say is obvious however its more like a motherhood statement in so much as the often talked of pathway.

My understanding of the pathway is for the talented player to have the opportunity to develop skills but also move up the technical and ability, with an ultimate goal of local club, rep side, SS or equivalent side, NCR , test level.

What they need if the interest remains is a place to go after school and simply have fun. This is where park structures become a life line to the local community.

This is the great strength of soccer, they have massive park structures and competitions for all abilities no matter how bad.

Reports I have seen of local park clubs doing this and the evidence I see with my own eyes says the local park clubs are doing an excelelnt job.

As a matter of interest I have no idea how many rugby clubs we have, but lets say 250 Australia wide, if the ARU sent $ 500.00 for kits to each park club for balls, bibs, and cones for a small $125, 000 they could do a lot of good and help the volunteers and committee members in our park teams.

I'm talking about linking the Game On program to the clubs as a means of participation. You're talking about the performance pathway. There's a significant difference. I couodn't care less if any of these kids choose to pursue the elite side of the game. At least not in the context of this discussion. What I am talking is developing a link between the school based Game On program that exposes kids to the game with clubs as a means of growing playing numbers further.

Reaching 50,000 kids is great but again as alluded to regarding the AusKick program these efforts come to very little if you don't help the process along by linking further participation beyond half a dozen or so development sessions.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR

A mate of mine called like follows, we need to take advantage of this and take baby steps and to move constantly forward, So lets take baby steps and give them a local park to play in where they are safe and their parents can watch. [which is happening]

There are something like 770 clubs in Australia apparently. You're point about Soccer is exactly what I'm trying to suggest. Schools are where you expose kids to the game but its by using this exposure to then present the opportunity to join and participate in club rugby beyond the school yard.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
If we have 770 clubs thats great it means kids have a place to go.

The FFA Cup which is for all clubs in Australia has less than 770 teams playing in it. I don't doubt this is a published figure however it seems at odds with what my eyes and logic tell me.

Back to the main point its a matter of the 770 clubs having balls of different sizes, bibs, cones, and the funds to pay for the lights and volunteers willing to direct and offer some coaching advise.

Hopefully enjoying local community paper support as well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Latest participation figures have been given to the SMH.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...layed-in-primary-schools-20161128-gsz6ma.html

Can debate the senior numbers, but that primary school figure is astounding. 28th to 8th in one year! Can only be a positive and shows just how important the Olympics was and will be going forward.
Yes it is things like this that makes me feel the hard yards are finally being put in as far as the slow path to long term success.

Much more to do but good work so far with game on and viva 7's _ adding 7's to the Olympics given rugby a great platform in this country and glad to see they have not wasted the opportunity it presented as was the case with us hosting the 2003 world cup.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Vexed question, in relation to participation rates and Rugbies growth in the future.

The Olympics with the success of the women’s 7’s has had outstanding consequences.

I have been pondering for a little while now how to take advantage of their success, while at the same time having a look at what other codes are doing.

As always I am mindful and remind all I am very much in favour of developing our own national domestic competition and essentially walking away from SANDZZAR.

My vexing [if this is the right word] question is should the ARU react to what competitors are doing. To compare when car companies introduced radios into their car, everyone introduced radios.

Or choose their own path and develop their own product as best they can as they can't control what others do so why try and copy something there is more strength in doing what we are good at rather than react to what others are doing.

Earlier this week the Herald Sun, an AFL heartland paper and massive supporter published an article on the A-Leagues expansion.

Essentially in one and a half years the A-League will add two additional teams to their competition, with the aim within 5 to 7 years to increase the number to 14 or 16, more than likely 16 teams.

Should the ARU react is my question. It’s very possible when the next SANDZZAR deal is made the A-League will have 16 teams.

Netball is also planning growth of it team numbers. Netball has a FTA broadcast deal.

Back to my question, knowing whats coming should the ARU react to counter and if so how? Or have belief that SANDZZAR can look after were we need to take Rugby.

Again my stated bias is to create our own national competition, so more than likely that has effected how I have written this. But the Herald Sun article just blew me away.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
When I worked in Thailand, one of the favourite sayings amongst my staff was "don't think too much". Meaning, do not worry yourself about things you cannot do anything about.

Good advice, Half. We are not the A-League, the A-League is not us.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think we need to be very careful on the topic of expansion. More teams doesn't necessarily equal success, and I can list a string of expansion teams in A-League and NRL that have crashed and burned in the very recent past - Gold Coast United, North Queensland Fury, New Zealand Knights, Gold Coast Rugby League Team x3, etc etc.

We need to work out what we want out of Perth. Stay tuned for a major announcement this afternoon that may shed some light on that situation.......

half

Alan Cameron (40)
When I worked in Thailand, one of the favourite sayings amongst my staff was "don't think too much". Meaning, do not worry yourself about things you cannot do anything about.

Good advice, Half. We are not the A-League, the A-League is not us.

Good advise and very much looking forward to what Barbarain is posting about the west.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
To much focus on schools. It might be a traditional base but getting out into the community is where the growth area is. The relationship between school and community is a social demographic thing. The identity of clubs in the community is where it's at. It is the place where all grades come under the one banner you have to get kids into rugby right at the lowest levels and the momentum that creates will spread.

Rugby has a wealth of potential but it needs to escape beyond its niche if it is to grow. It is not a quick fix but a sustainable one over the long term.