• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fantasy Super Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd like to do the draft league if I can make the draft time work with the time zone difference.

That said, how would a draft even make sense for fantasy rugby? Players in Super Rugby get dropped and have their positions changed FAR more than NFL players do. I'm not sure if there are enough players in Super Rugby to support more than maybe an 8 person draft-style format without someone taking on half a squad who may not even be starters at the end of the season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am sure we can change the draft time, even do it off-line if needed, once we fill the league.

Many questions as to how it will work, but lets give it a burl to see.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still can't see this G&GR league.

I am on the site fantasyrugbydraft.com. I click Join Public League and it gives me a list of leagues, most of which are some variation on this:

FRD 20XIV Public - John Gallagher

There are also some leagues that others have created like ANZ Premiership, Sams League, Private Pigskin etc.

There doesn't seem to be any function to search for leagues or click to go to another page of public leagues.

What am I doing wrong?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I am sure we can change the draft time, even do it off-line if needed, once we fill the league.

Many questions as to how it will work, but lets give it a burl to see.

Going to get signed up now. I was more curious if there was any sort of precedent for a draft-based Fantasy Rugbg comp. It should be fun :)

Will you be able to trade players like in NFL fantasy? Will there be a waiver wire?

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
My guess would be that all positions inside the league are filled. I logged in last night to double check the draft time and there were only 2 positions left to fill.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Long time listener first time caller (to the forums).

Absolutely pumped about playing a real comp. Not happy I missed out on the G&GR ones but I've sorted one out with my mates.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, I've started a league:

Green and Gold Rugby is the league and "GAGRSRT2014" is the password.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Okay, so I'm assuming that the experienced among us are going to be naming three Hookers in the front row and five Outside Backs in the backs?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Alrighty, I've got some criticisms but they're mostly me looking to make it better for them:
  • Players hate being stuck with a team due to a poor schedule (Thanks SANZAR), so there should have been 8 transfers for round 2. Players can stack the bench however they want in round 1 and then have the team they want in round 2.
  • The same transfer problem exists for the finals; you are going to need at least 7 certain starters from certain finalists in round 20, because round 21 only gives you 8 transfers. From this, you will need at least 5 certain semi-finalists in the team due to only receiving 10 transfers for the semi final. And good luck scoring well in the final, because you only get 5 transfers. The obvious solution is having 15/unlimited transfers for the final rounds.
  • For the bench selections, when you go to the "By Position" menu it has "Second Row" and "Lock", with "Lock" being for the backrowers. That's a simple fix, just rename it to "Backrow".
  • When selecting players for your team, the popup system can be annoyingly slow, as can the reload after each selection. The less you have to rely on someone's connection, the smoother the experience.
  • Players are missing from teams (Eg. JC Janse van Rensburg for the Lions, likely their captain). I know this is a tough one with some teams not announced yet, so I don't really mind in this case.
  • The game times out quicker than you would expect. When I went to re-make my team, the name which I had used was taken by my team which wasn't saved. A good solution is to either not allow a name to be taken until the team is made, or to require a team name upon signing up. (This problem was eventually resolved by logging in on a different browser).
  • There are not many "budget" players who are likely to start. In fact, the cost difference between starting players is very slim. That makes team balance infinitely easier, meaning the difference between the best teams is simply who picked the best team at the start.

All that said, I do have some positives already:
  • I like the removal of the arbitrary thousands of dollars to a simpler price system. They also seem to have put the "best" players at the top of the price range, so picking the known players has some disadvantage.
  • The open bench is a great gambling system. Picking a lot of forwards saves you money, picking a lot of backs gives you good injury cover. It's also just a good idea to give players that sort of choice, helps them feel involved.
  • The "backs" system works really well, given the versatility of professional players these days (Eg. Adam Ashley-Cooper). I think they could have gotten away with locks and backrow being merged (Loose Forwards? Eg. Scott Fardy), but also appreciate why they didn't.
  • The reduced point scoring methods makes it easy to see who is doing what work and rewards consistent play.

All in all I'm looking forward to the game, but I don't think the first year will be my year.

Trajan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Alrighty, I've got some criticisms but they're mostly me looking to make it better for them:
  • Players hate being stuck with a team due to a poor schedule (Thanks SANZAR), so there should have been 8 transfers for round 2. Players can stack the bench however they want in round 1 and then have the team they want in round 2.
  • The same transfer problem exists for the finals; you are going to need at least 7 certain starters from certain finalists in round 20, because round 21 only gives you 8 transfers. From this, you will need at least 5 certain semi-finalists in the team due to only receiving 10 transfers for the semi final. And good luck scoring well in the final, because you only get 5 transfers. The obvious solution is having 15/unlimited transfers for the final rounds.
  • For the bench selections, when you go to the "By Position" menu it has "Second Row" and "Lock", with "Lock" being for the backrowers. That's a simple fix, just rename it to "Backrow".
  • When selecting players for your team, the popup system can be annoyingly slow, as can the reload after each selection. The less you have to rely on someone's connection, the smoother the experience.
  • Players are missing from teams (Eg. JC Janse van Rensburg for the Lions, likely their captain). I know this is a tough one with some teams not announced yet, so I don't really mind in this case.
  • The game times out quicker than you would expect. When I went to re-make my team, the name which I had used was taken by my team which wasn't saved. A good solution is to either not allow a name to be taken until the team is made, or to require a team name upon signing up. (This problem was eventually resolved by logging in on a different browser).
  • There are not many "budget" players who are likely to start. In fact, the cost difference between starting players is very slim. That makes team balance infinitely easier, meaning the difference between the best teams is simply who picked the best team at the start.

All that said, I do have some positives already:
  • I like the removal of the arbitrary thousands of dollars to a simpler price system. They also seem to have put the "best" players at the top of the price range, so picking the known players has some disadvantage.
  • The open bench is a great gambling system. Picking a lot of forwards saves you money, picking a lot of backs gives you good injury cover. It's also just a good idea to give players that sort of choice, helps them feel involved.
  • The "backs" system works really well, given the versatility of professional players these days (Eg. Adam Ashley-Cooper). I think they could have gotten away with locks and backrow being merged (Loose Forwards? Eg. Scott Fardy), but also appreciate why they didn't.
  • The reduced point scoring methods makes it easy to see who is doing what work and rewards consistent play.

All in all I'm looking forward to the game, but I don't think the first year will be my year.
A well thought out critique Roff on their updated fantasy layout. Use of the bench will be one of the main factors for success this season. There is , as you state, wider scope with decisions to be made on bench forwards or backs.
The dilemma of trades during the finals and the round with no S.A. players will probably decide who gets the chocolates. The only tactic I can see to overcome this is loading up your bench with players who you believe will be definite starters in successfull teams beforehand.
For me their layout is much better then previous efforts which were not user friendly. There are still some teething problems as you have stated but nothing that cannot be addressed if they are informed. I have been looking for Nadolo but still no sign of him!
Keep up the goodwork as your advice and information is appreciated. As a former winner of the Fox Fantasy Super Rugby I take all the help I can get. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.