• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force v Waratahs, round 13, Saturday 9 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
3 of the top 4 technically, pretty sure Bulls are 3rd on 34, Clan 4th on 33.

There's still a slim chance of there being 4 NZ teams in the final, but I suspect that if I look at the run home that there's too many NZ conference games, and some teams (like that Tahs) theoretically have "easy" runs in.

Give it about 3 hours.

But yeah talking on form not ladder position. 4th pick in NZ is about par with the best elsewhere atm. They're peaking in the right year.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
And Palu, when fit, has been a very dominant player for the Tahs in Super Rugby too so it's not a good sign.....

At the start of the season I wouldn't have considered starting with anyone else but McCalman would have to be a very serious contender.

Palu's was pretty invisible last week too. He's getting on in age and with his injury history, it's only been a matter of time for a while now.

not too different for the NZ teams and the thought of players like Halfpenny nailing nearly everything for their countries, many of which playing rather dire - as in not as easy on the eye - rugby in contrast to SH teams, pisses me off a bit.

Ihaia West for All Blacks 10 ;)

Give it about 3 hours.

But yeah talking on form not ladder position. 4th pick in NZ is about par with the best elsewhere atm. They're peaking in the right year.

'Landers and Canes are definitely peaking but Blues and to a lesser degree the Crusaders still have a lot to be asking for. Chiefs have just been superb overall for a few years now.

I think it's more the slipping of the Brumbies/Tahs (and the absolute capitulation of the Reds) along with an ever-weakening SA conference that's just exaggerating all of this in 2015.

M

Moono75

Makes you wonder Gnostic about coaching. You knew what was coming but still went down. That's even worse coaching.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus poor kicking this year - by and large - may come to haunt us at RWC time when excellence in gaining 3-pointers, place and drop, can be the make or break.

I thought one thing that might've given JOC (James O'Connor) an advantage coming back was his goal kicking, but alas.........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Aus poor kicking this year - by and large - may come to haunt us at RWC time when excellence in gaining 3-pointers, place and drop, can be the make or break.

We tend to think kicking is a ''nice to have" not a complete, absolute essential in the rugby skill kit.

Even though under our noses are some of the best kicking coaches in the world - just over as they are in AFL, where the modern ABs got their most revered kicking and catching coach.

And every NRL team who is a premiership threat has a goal kicker who operates at between 75-80% over the course of a season.

Every goal-kicker in a professional team should be able to kick the goal from any point inside the two 15m lines and out to about 35-40 metres. It's a core skill of the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm somewhat amazed too that some of the individuals do not spend enough time apparently practicing it. I mean, Wilkinson is one extreme, but it shows what can be done with dogged determination and dedication.
It's a systemic failing at all levels in Oz rugby. Baffling.

Agreed, and not just in respect of kicking. Basic ball skills seem to be ignored in lots of games as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dunno about 'baffling', seems to be among a litany of sins currently plaguing our great game in this great land.

I think 'baffling' is a fair description..........

There's deficiencies in the Australian game that we're still discussing 12 years later.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Tahs seemed intent on playing their way out of Wallaby spots by not playing for each other . The prop's decision not to tackle or even attempt to tackle at the ruck letting in the first or second Force try summed up the lack of desire and consistently coming in from the side in mauls highlighted the poor composure from the Tah's across the park in defence and attack . Kurtley looking for miracle plays with chip kicks and sideways action looked a bridge too far against a willing opponent . Everything you don't want from your team seemed to come to pass ... A yellow for Palu , Hooper & Potgeiter injured , poor tactical kicking , lack of patience , lack of urgency at the ruck......If the Waratahs were Cheika's wife I'd imagine he'd likely have an AVO issued against him after that performance . Lets hope this match is the low point ....onward and upward in the run home . Oh ,and well done Force you wanted it much more.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
Michael Foley wasn't the problem, the Tahs were the problem. If they don't like the conservative Force plan, play above it, if you can. They couldn't. End of.

This game is the best Foley has to offer. Unrelenting negativity, pissfarting around in scrums, and 2 games per season where his team comes to play because he hates the opposition. It's like Queensland at their worst.

He nearly killed the game in Sydney so successfully that even a super rugby trophy won with a running game didn't make the crowds come back, and if they leave him in charge in Perth, he'll eventually drive those good people away as well.

I admit, this is coming out tonight because they beat the Tahs, but I thought the same thing last week, and the week before that, and I'll feel the same next week, even if the Force scrape their way to another win. Rugby in WA deserves better than being a spoiler, and that's all they'll ever be under such a cynical coach.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Could the heart of the matter simply be that Chek should never have been so tempted as to take on both the 2015 Tahs and the 2015 Wallabies?

That coupling had 'very high risk that neither will be done optimally' written all over it.

Very rarely can an intensely focussed, passionate leader - as clearly Chek is - take on two very demanding but different projects simultaneously and make magic with them both.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I admit, this is coming out tonight because they beat the Tahs, but I thought the same thing last week, and the week before that, and I'll feel the same next week, even if the Force scrape their way to another win. Rugby in WA deserves better than being a spoiler, and that's all they'll ever be under such a cynical coach.

I wouldn't say it's quite that bad but the rugby we play is pretty ugly and not good enough at present to beat nearly anyone. It's a shame, because I thought after last year it might be the springboard for better things. We need some new ideas in attack, that's for sure.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think it's more the slipping of the Brumbies/Tahs (and the absolute capitulation of the Reds) along with an ever-weakening SA conference that's just exaggerating all of this in 2015.

Brumbies have the worst depth, in terms of step down from their first choice to second stringers, of any team in the comp. They could not afford any injuries, and they have a heap. Once they got their injuries, their slipping was inevitable. What will be key for them is how they go once guys like To'omua and Sio return.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies have the worst depth, in terms of step down from their first choice to second stringers, of any team in the comp. They could not afford any injuries, and they have a heap. Once they got their injuries, their slipping was inevitable. What will be key for them is how they go once guys like To'omua and Sio return.

They had a similar mid season slump last year and finished strongly when they got players back from injury.........

I'm crossing my fingers we can at least repeat that this year.

Right now the Tahs and Brumbies have the same scrum problem in that Kepu and Sio are respectively so important to each other having dominance, and when both are not around things go to shit.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
My major concern was that there was no sign from the Tahs of a pick and go or short pass from 9 to drag defenders close to the breakdown before going wider to the speed men. Constant wide passing and mid field hit ups just played into the Force's hands and they were up to the defensive task.

Status
Not open for further replies.