• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force Vs Waratahs, Round 17 - Saturday 15th July, NIB Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Why would you sack Gibson? Cheik came in, had the best squad the teams had in years, won it and left along with half the established stars. Gibson was left to pick up the pieces. Not his fault that a) there is fuck all talent available in Aus. rugby at the moment or b) the players he has are so monumentally sub-par. Force currently have a better squad than the Tahs.

Having said all that, it's fine. Swings and roundabouts in sport. I'd much rather watch the Tahs be terrible for a few seasons so other Aussie franchises can muster some talent and compete at the top end than let Super Rugby turn into some socceresque talent funnel to 2 - 3 teams (yes im aware many people think this is already the case).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well done Force players, fans, coaches and GAGR posters.

We (Waratahs) could do worse than bring in some Shute Shield players on short term contracts. The Rats, Southern Districts, and Manly have some eager goers who constantly try to play at their full potential.
They don't just go through the motions like our current crop of state representatives.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Perhaps Reds they could do a Chuckles excuse and blame the next level down for not giving them players with enough fitness? And by that I mean mental fitness!

Dan - that from Chek was one of my personal favourites - 'my Wallabies are underperforming due to the Super sides' poor S&C regimes' - of recent times, in fact it competes very closely with Gibson's best-ever entry into the Australian Rugby Excuses Dictionary, namely 'I completely mis-assessed my Tahs squads ability to play the fast, up tempo game I counted on at the beginning of the '17 season (despite being tight with the Tahs squads for 4 previous years)'.

The draft epithet for the intended Dictionary is: 'Or How No One is Ever Responsible for Anything in Australian Rugby, It Just Happens This Way'

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Why would you sack Gibson? Cheik came in, had the best squad the teams had in years, won it and left along with half the established stars. Gibson was left to pick up the pieces. Not his fault that a) there is fuck all talent available in Aus. rugby at the moment or b) the players he has are so monumentally sub-par. Force currently have a better squad than the Tahs.

Having said all that, it's fine. Swings and roundabouts in sport. I'd much rather watch the Tahs be terrible for a few seasons so other Aussie franchises can muster some talent and compete at the top end than let Super Rugby turn into some socceresque talent funnel to 2 - 3 teams (yes im aware many people think this is already the case).

Gibson should have been structuring a game plan that fed the limited talent, not expecting the limited talent to rise to his game plan.
Case in point - yesterday Southern Districts beat Manly on the back of a common sense game plan executed rigorously for 82 minutes by committed players.
Thats all Gibson had to come up with.

T

TOCC

I'm subjecting myself to the replay for some reason right now, I hadn't seen any of the match prior. He just took one from 50 out with the score at 14-3 and it fell just short so it didn't look like a ridiculous decision under the circumstances, presumably he's assumed the role of the long range goal kicker for this game.

Force players knew they had won that game as soon as the Tahs opted for the kick, it was a high risk play when they were behind by a converted try and lacking in momentum.. Very strange decision by Hooper and Gibson..

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
QH - as you know I am compiling a 200 page dictionary of 'Australian rugby excuses (mostly incredible) for utter incompetence in coaching and management'.

Can you please urgently send me what you think will be 'the best ones' coming on board re the Tahs and their coaches come Monday. Many thanks.

May I pre-order this book RH? :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan - that from Chek was one of my personal favourites - 'my Wallabies are underperforming due to the Super sides' poor S&C regimes' - of recent times, in fact it competes very closely with Gibson's best-ever entry into the Australian Rugby Excuses Dictionary, namely 'I completely mis-assessed my Tahs squads ability to play the fast, up tempo game I counted on at the beginning of the '17 season (despite being tight with the Tahs squads for 4 previous years)'.

The draft epithet for the intended Dictionary is: 'Or How No One is Ever Responsible for Anything in Australian Rugby, It Just Happens This Way'

Like isn't enough to say how good I think this is RedsH.
Actually was talking to a parent of one of the Reds yesterday, his son arrived back from Dunedin saying the players were cramping up from the cold is why they lost on Friday, and that was indoor stadium!!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
May I pre-order this book RH? :)

Mate yes of course. But my problem at the moment with its distribution is that the much larger physical size/weight (than I planned on earlier in the rugby season) is driving the Aus Post shipping costs through the roof.

So the list price may have to rise steeply. So I'm worried that only the better remunerated HCs will buy it - as a reference volume only.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Gibson should have been structuring a game plan that fed the limited talent, not expecting the limited talent to rise to his game plan.
Case in point - yesterday Southern Districts beat Manly on the back of a common sense game plan executed rigorously for 82 minutes by committed players.
Thats all Gibson had to come up with.
Meh we didnt play a high risk game. We didnt have Quade out there slinging %5ers. We typically played field position, took the 3 when available etc. We just sucked massive dicks every time we had to defend, at any time from anywhere. Our attack clicked often enough that if we had any sort of defence we would've been okay.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Actually was talking to a parent of one of the Reds yesterday, his son arrived back from Dunedin saying the players were cramping up from the cold is why they lost on Friday, and that was indoor stadium!!

Dan - many thanks for sending that one through! An absolute cracker that I might even feature at the beginning the Reds section.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Mate yes of course. But my problem at the moment with its distribution is that the much larger physical size/weight (than I planned on earlier in the rugby season) is driving the Aus Post shipping costs through the roof.

So the list price may have to rise steeply. So I'm worried that only the better remunerated HCs will buy it - as a reference volume only.

Page number? ;)

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Because he wanted to.
That's how the tahs work: entitlement.
And the commentators: "it only missed by a couple of metres". What the fuck. The guy earns millions and near enough is good enough - if they had been calling the masters Greg Norman would have won it.
I suppose it was a reasonable kick but it seemed very ambitious for a part time kicker

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)

Its also pretty tough to acclimatise to the altitude in Dunedin...

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)

Sorry but this always riles me from Tahs supporters. You have the most wallabies, often 10 or so in the starting 15, often some on the bench. You benefit most from ARU topups. They regularly squander the talent they have and play to half the potential of the talent. But want more 'stars'.

Anyhow if there was one lesson from this game, surely it was attitude, commitment, passion and interest in your career as a rugby player are equally important as talent.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
Have watched many a good man over the years go to the Tahs only to become "talent-less' and then win back respect playing for clubs later.
Could there be too many coaches in the setup- each subcoach having their own spin on play.
Attitude is every thing and its the Coaching and management set up that determines the culture- not the players.
If there is a problem - check the management.

That applies to all strata s of rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.