• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sadly, if the Corporates believe there is nothing in it for them, nothing will happen.

The bloke behind the BaaBass and World XV is apparently keen to base a team in Japan that will compete in GRR. So, it's not entirely in the corporations hands. In my opinion he could/should look to purchase the Sunwolves IP and take an established brand into the competition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The bloke behind the BaaBass and World XV is apparently keen to base a team in Japan that will compete in GRR. So, it's not entirely in the corporations hands. In my opinion he could/should look to purchase the Sunwolves IP and take an established brand into the competition.
Yeh but like the Sunwolves players expectations is players who play for rapid rugby would also play in Japanese league so you can’t really escape the link

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Japanese season is looking at a restructure which means the season will be played during GRR. I think that might be the biggest reason why it’s dropped off the radar.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Pacific Showcase starts this Saturday at Lautoka in Fiji:

Kagifa Samoa making debut this week

By Thomas Airey, 15 May 2019

When Kagifa Samoa take the field on Saturday in their first ever Global Rapid Rugby fixture, team Chief Executive Officer Richard Fale will breathe a sigh of relief.

… “The focus [for Kagifa Samoa] is to be an asset to the development of the Manu Samoa and Samoa A," he said.

“We also have a wide net of Manu Samoa and Samoa A players that live in both New Zealand and Australia. For example we’ve flown in two really strong potential future Samoa nationals who are on Australia’s radar."

… Fale said Kagifa's squad will vary a lot this year, to give as many players as possible a chance to put their hand up for Season One. … “We do have a solid group of Samoan, Tongan, and even a couple of Fijian players that will be part of the organisation moving forward as we kinda get a look at everybody."

Fale is also involved with the Hawai'i team that will compete from next year, and between the two sides' squads there are 70 positions to fill.

With Apia Park closed until after the Pacific Games in July, Kagifa Samoa are being hosted in Pukekohe, New Zealand by the Counties-Manukau Rugby Union. Fale said that comes with the understanding that some of their players will be involved in Kagifa as a build-up for the domestic Mitre 10 Cup season.

“We also have to leave room for Samoan players we want to bring in to the organisation."

He listed current and former All Blacks Patrick Tuipulotu, Lima Sopoaga and Steven Luatua as examples.

“Guys like that, that are of Samoan heritage who are also a great value and asset that would help mentor and guide these young guys."

No series squad announced for the Samoans yet, although Fijian Latui have done so (it looks like the Drua).
  • Interesting that Kagifa Samoa are targeting OZ/NZ resident Samoans.
  • Also interesting that Hawaii is named as being in Rapid Rugby for 2020. Is this true? Dunno, but I'm dubious about Hawaii for a number of reasons.
Keen to see how these two teams fare on Saturday, though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes Kiap Hawaii not my choice. Japanese team top of the list commercially for me and another oz team - ideally in western Sydney that plus Malaysia with Current exhibition series teams gives us our 8 teams for next year which would prefer

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Samoan Sharkie lineup:

2019-May-18 Kagifa Samoa squad.jpg

As well as Samoan-based players, there are a couple of Aus-Samoans in there, I believe, in Ah-mu and David Feliuai Lene.

Training out of NZ so obviously a fair few Enzedders / PIs based in NZ.

I make it five Fijians. And there are five players carrying on in Rapid Rugby with this Kagifa team from the APDs, including four Tongans: Fosita, Fukofuka, Hala and Lokotui.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Huh, there you go. I used to play with Ahmu, think he's now playing up in Brisbane? He used to be a very quick centre with a nice step and good defense. Haven't seen him play in about three years though.
Nice one, DC. I assume from Melbs. You'd know him better than me who is relying only on teh interwebs :) - which had him playing Melbourne Harlequins then Sunnybank QPR last year

INTERNATIONAL / REP HONOURS
2016: Australia U20s World Cup
2015: Samoa u20s World Cup
2014: Australia Schoolboys
2013: Australia A u18s

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sport: Rapid Rugby hopes to lift Pacific game to new levels

RNZ - Vinnie Taylor - 17 may 2019

The man in charge of Global Rapid Rugby says they want to help Pacific Island nations become genuine World Cup contenders.

The Fijian Latui and Kagifa Samoa will square off in their competitive debut in Lautoka on Saturday, in the first match of the Pacific Showcase Series, which also features the Western Force.

Rapid Rugby's Head of Rugby, Matt Hodgson, said they are excited to take the competition into the Pacific and want to help grow rugby in the region.

"Everyone can attest to how much quality of rugby there is in the Pacific," he said. "And I think there's no better way of keeping that talent at home or actually showing a pathway there for the players that play club rugby, junior rugby there to grow into play for the [Flying Fijians] or Manu Samoa or the Tongan side in a World Cup."

See more.........

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sport: Rapid Rugby hopes to lift Pacific game to new levels

RNZ - Vinnie Taylor - 17 may 2019

The man in charge of Global Rapid Rugby says they want to help Pacific Island nations become genuine World Cup contenders.

The Fijian Latui and Kagifa Samoa will square off in their competitive debut in Lautoka on Saturday, in the first match of the Pacific Showcase Series, which also features the Western Force.

Rapid Rugby's Head of Rugby, Matt Hodgson, said they are excited to take the competition into the Pacific and want to help grow rugby in the region.

"Everyone can attest to how much quality of rugby there is in the Pacific," he said. "And I think there's no better way of keeping that talent at home or actually showing a pathway there for the players that play club rugby, junior rugby there to grow into play for the [Flying Fijians] or Manu Samoa or the Tongan side in a World Cup."

See more...

Thanks ForceFan. Helps me keep up to date with this emerging rugby powerhouse!

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Just switched on the very end of the Fiji-Samoa match. Looked like a cracker with Fiji snatching it at the death 38-32, but more importantly it looks like the kind of atmosphere Super Rugby clubs can only dream of.

Genuinely looking forward to seeing more of these guys next year.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
2 superb super rugby level tries by Fiji, and 2 superb intercept tries by Samoa, a highly entertaining game..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anyone heard anything on when teams for next year will be confirmed.

As with changes to top league competition to run at same time I assume previous japan top league teams won’t be involved now while earliest Sunwolves could be involved is 2021. For me to get solid commercial footing need japan involved and also a
Western Sydney team (latter to get more oz fan interest).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Anyone heard anything on when teams for next year will be confirmed.

As with changes to top league competition to run at same time I assume previous japan top league teams won’t be involved now while earliest Sunwolves could be involved is 2021. For me to get solid commercial footing need japan involved and also a
Western Sydney team (latter to get more oz fan interest).

I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll be seeing any of the Top League teams coming on board. Though I think it could offer an interesting opportunity in the future. I'd really like to see a Sydney team enter. Be it called WS or otherwise. Would really like a team to support in the competition based here. Otherwise it will be the Latui for me.