• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC Sevens 2018-19

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Men's Qualifier SF are Germany v Ireland & Chile v Hong Kong.

Upset in the main draw QF, Samoa 14-12 Ringinland. Earlier USA 21-12 SA & Fiji 29-24 Argentina. France 14-5 NZ at HT.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
France 14-12 NZ, first time they've beaten us in HK. Way too many errors by the Kiwis. Gotta nail 5th now to stay in touch with USA & Fiji.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good to see Larkham’s brilliance has rubbed off on the Australian team since he’s been with them in HK. Haha

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
The Australian team were simply horrible this weekend, no speed, no passion, nothing, to be behind this morning to Portugal 21-0 in the first half was embrassing. Absolutely no one rates any Aussie team now which is a sad reflection on the state of our game. The skill level other than Longbottom was non existent, given this is a professional game why can’t we have some speedsters in our team we were so far off the space it wasn’t funny.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would have to say Tim Walsh has not turned out the way many thought. Aussie sevens team yes are really pretty ordinary. Something not right coaching wise as players wise the talent is there I think but yes could maybe do with one or two real speedsters.

But on the positives you really can see how the USA could possibly be a major rugby nation with talent of athletes if MLR kicks on. The tries by Carlon Isles were some of the best you will ever see and he has really stepped up following the injury to Perry Baker.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Mens sevens coach is such a poisoned chalice. Is there a better way to derail a coaching career* in this country?

(*Excludes Reds coach obviously)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think the skill level of talent is an issue, the players have that in spades, it’s just general feel for the game and football intelligence. There was a lot of players getting isolated on the weekend and considering 7s reffed that you hardly need to keep your feet or hold your own weight in the ruck, you just get pinged and turn the ball over.

Desperately need Porch back and a creative play maker. Longbottom is brilliant on his feet but not the greatest at bringing others into the game.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
the problem we have is that we are missing two of their best due to injury(Killingworth & Parahi), as well as Wells to the Tahs.

And Holland,Porch,& O’Donnell are all playing well below previous levels.

its Money for jam betting against this squad atm.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pools for Singapore:

Pool A Fiji, SA, Scotland, Canada
Pool B France, Argentina, Australia, Hong Kong
Pool C USA, England, Kenya, Wales
Pool D Samoa, NZ, Japan, Spain

Standings after HK:
1. USA 130 points
2. Fiji 123
3. NZ 118
4. SA 99
5. England 90
6. Samoa 74
7. Australia 70
8. Argentina 69

Top four at season-end qualify automatically for Tokyo Olympics.

Full standings here:

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/mens

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would have to say Tim Walsh has not turned out the way many thought. Aussie sevens team yes are really pretty ordinary. Something not right coaching wise as players wise the talent is there I think but yes could maybe do with one or two real speedsters.

The thing is we've had our moments. Beaten Fiji and South Africa which we haven't done for ages. But so up and down. Little mistakes which is a big focus for Walsh. Really disappointing.

I think Hutchison is one of the most disappointing. Doesn't have his speed anymore so he just becomes an averagely skilled small player. Not great for 7s.

Is it a coincidence that many of the more successful teams have at least one Fijian, and we have none?

agree, and it's not as if we don't have any in Australia. I know they want Daugunu. He'd be ace. They just need to get his citizenship sorted.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pools are also out for next Women's tournament in Japan on 20/21 April:

Pool A NZ, France, Russia, Japan
Pool B Australia, Canada, Spain, China
Pool C USA, Ireland, Fiji, England

Women's standings:

1. NZ 60
2. USA 48
3. Canada 46
4. Australia 46
5. France 32
6. Ireland 30

As with the men, top four at season-end qualify automatically for Tokyo.

Full standings here:

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/womens

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What’s the specific value add of a Fijian?

We don’t play an instinctive game.

Little mistakes are a big issue for us,yet Fiji led the stats for errors on the weekend.....

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for the Henry doubters to surface.
The experiment to convert him into a relief ball player was a predictable failure,and should be terminated.
Holland is for me the biggest disappointment,he has lost so much pace since his knee,and to my mind is rarely adding sufficient value, he’s a shadow of his former self.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep. All those teams with Fijians in them play an "instinctive" game.

What do you think Sevens is all about, mate?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep. All those teams with Fijians in them play an "instinctive" game.

What do you think Sevens is all about, mate?
No good potting me for the style the Oz squad plays.

If a coach wants to play a possession game,with a high emphasis on minimising errors,you thinks he wants guys going rogue & playing ad hoc which inevitably increases errors?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good first-up result for Straya 22-17 Argentina so even if they can't knock France over they should still make main draw.

NZ also winners 43-0 v Japan. Crunch game will be v Samoa tonight after they beat Spain 26-0.