• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hynes heading overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
IT is looking increasingly likely that Reds fullback and Wallabies winger Peter Hynes will join a French or Japanese club next year, which would rule him out of the 2011 World Cup.

Hynes's father and business manager, Bob, said yesterday his son had attracted nine offers from foreign clubs, one of which is so keen to recruit him it even is prepared to set up his wife, Bree, as manager of a hairdressing salon as part of the deal.

The Australian Rugby Union has offered Hynes, 27, only a modest contract, despite the fact the ever-reliable back three player has been one of the most consistent Wallabies of the Robbie Deans era and started in every Test of last year's spring tour.

"The ARU don't seem overly interested in contracting him," Bob Hynes said. "They've come up with a small top-up (in addition to his Super rugby contract) to stay home but Peter has been offered twice that contract overseas."

Bob Hynes made a counter-offer to the ARU a month ago but has had no response. However, an ARU spokesman said the union would hold talks with Hynes and his management in the near future, possibly as early as today.

But while things might have stalled on the domestic front in recent weeks, the pace of negotiations with foreign clubs is picking up, to the point that Hynes Super Rugby is now seriously looking at the tax structures that make France and Japan such attractive destinations for rugby players.

"Peter would love to stay here and would love to keep playing for the Reds but he has got to look at securing his financial future.

"He has got a lot out of rugby over many years and it may just be that he doesn't ever get to play in a World Cup," Bob Hynes said.

"He has no gripe with the ARU. He knows they have a business to run, but if they don't need him we'll very easily find an overseas club that does."

From the moment the Rebels were granted the Super 15 expansion licence in Melbourne, Hynes was one of their prime targets and he still remains at the top of their hit list.

But, according to Bob Hynes, it is pointless to even begin negotiating with Australian franchises - the Western Force also has expressed an interest in him - while the situation with the ARU remains unresolved.

"If he's not going to be here, it's irrelevant," Bob Hynes said.

Peter Hynes, who shone against the Bulls, made the switch to fullback this year at the request of Reds coach Ewen McKenzie and has taken to the position so strongly that he probably is the leading contender for the 15 jersey in the Wallabies' June Tests against Fiji, Ireland and England, especially if Deans decides to employ Adam Ashley-Cooper at outside centre.

C

chief

If the ARU doesn't sign him, then they have seriously royally fucked up.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Is there a player agent website where you can print these off and just change the names?

gold Scarfie btw.

S

Spook

Scarfman said:
Manager of a hair dressing salon? How can the ARU compete with that?

:lmao: I'm sure Giteau, Mitchell and JOC (James O'Connor) could keep such a business afloat.

T

TOCC

What pisses me off, is that the ARU is willing to throw cash to bring Gasnier to Australia, yet allegedly they arent willing to do so for someone who is already a very good player in Australia

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not saying I agree, but I assume the logic is that Hynes has maybe two more years in him and Gasnier has greater potential.

That said I would prefer two years of Hynes to 3 or 4 or 5 of Gasnier (twp RWCs), but we need a fullback more that we need an average winger

Scotty

David Codey (61)
fp,

Gasnier turns 30 next year.

He most definately does not have more potential in rugby than Hynes, who IMO is having his best year to date.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
TOCC said:
What pisses me off, is that the ARU is willing to throw cash to bring Gasnier to Australia, yet allegedly they arent willing to do so for someone who is already a very good player in Australia

every player off contract from last year has complained about there top up, i wouldnt read much into it. John O'neil said early last year that player salaries would be coming down just as the salaries at ARU headquarters did. He is doing it and you have to give him credit for not caving to individuals.

that said, if Hynes doesnt rate the opportunity to play in a world cup as a major factor then we dont need him, prefer people with loyalty which seems lacking from the QLD reds over the last few years.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
that said, if Hynes doesnt rate the opportunity to play in a world cup as a major factor then we dont need him, prefer people with loyalty which seems lacking from the QLD reds over the last few years.

Good point wj. Just when we thought the reds were doing alright the QRU will stuff it up again :lmao:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
fp,

Gasnier turns 30 next year.

He most definately does not have more potential in rugby than Hynes, who IMO is having his best year to date.

30? OK ....................... then why the hell is anyone thinking of signing him, he ain't going to get any better

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hopefully they are just trying to put the heat on the ARU.

WJ, Hynes has been nothing but loyal.

D

David

waratahjesus said:
TOCC said:

every player off contract from last year has complained about there top up, i wouldnt read much into it. John O'neil said early last year that player salaries would be coming down just as the salaries at ARU headquarters did. He is doing it and you have to give him credit for not caving to individuals.

This is Hynes's 8th year with the Reds, 7 of those were with a struggling team, so I don't think loyalty is an issue.

W

Wazimba2K

I am known for posting ridiculous false and misleading theories and quotes on this thread but where did this quote come from. It definitely wasn't another Wazza Attack!

:yay

T

TOCC

no Reds fan would question Hynes loyalty, as pointed out already he has been with the Reds for yonks, through that time he has had to sit behind players like Shifcofske and Walker. It hasnt exactly been easy sailing for the bloke, understandably his looking out for himself, his starting to get on in age and in a few years his traits which make him so good will be a lot less.

I doubt Hynes will leave, if anything he might only take a 1yr contract similar to Palu, and the Wallabies would be silly not to agree. Works out well for all parties, gives the Wallabies a extra fullback, gives Hynes a chance to win a RWC, and gives the Reds another year to bring through a suitable replacement.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah clearly manager talk at the moment. I wouldv'e thought (hoped) that the enticement of

1) RWC next year and
2) Reds are a realistic chance to win the comp

would keep him around.

And then, two years later, a once in a generation chance to play against the Lions!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
TOCC said:
no Reds fan would question Hynes loyalty, as pointed out already he has been with the Reds for yonks, through that time he has had to sit behind players like Shifcofske and Walker. It hasnt exactly been easy sailing for the bloke, understandably his looking out for himself, his starting to get on in age and in a few years his traits which make him so good will be a lot less.

I doubt Hynes will leave, if anything he might only take a 1yr contract similar to Palu, and the Wallabies would be silly not to agree. Works out well for all parties, gives the Wallabies a extra fullback, gives Hynes a chance to win a RWC, and gives the Reds another year to bring through a suitable replacement.

I agree in full mate. His window of earning capacity hasd been narrowed by his late development as an international. Correct me if i'm wrong but I interperated this as if he is staying in Australia, he is staying at the Reds. :yay :yay :yay

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This is confusing Hynes turns 28 this year, is in good form and has shown a lot of heart in a lot of losing Reds sides. Why would the ARU not offer him a decent contract?

I think Hynes's biggest problem is he doesn't look fast when he is running. I am assuming he is fast but he looks like he's jogging. He must have a near perfect technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.