• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hynes heading overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
so just to get this straight,
Hynes is:
*super quick but appears slow
*best broken play runner in history
*likely to win us the next world cup
*unique and possesses skills that no other player has
*brings people through the turnstyles to watch him play

so if you can tick all of those he should get a mighty fine top up, if you tick 3 out of five, he should get a decent top up, and any less, have fun in japan testing yourself. He is an outside back, he should be on half the sallary of any front rower at the most.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
en_force_er said:
Hynes is ultra reliable in attack and defense. You need guys like Hynes in any side, be it club, provincial or national.

A team of Coopers would be a coin flip but a team of Hynes would always go alright.

I like his style, but I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him in Oz if it meant compromising other more important positions/player options. I hope he does stay. On the other hand, I wouldn't begrudge him the money he can earn elsewhere either.

I seem to recall a thread relating to Rocky and Giteau moving to the Brumbies, and all the discussion on how ARU money was being spent unevenly (or how it should or shouldn't be divided) between the Aussie S14 teams (via ARU top up payments). It would seem that all that investment hasn't really helped the Brumbies much, but we now also see how the ARU can potentially 'force' players away too.

T

TOCC

waratahjesus said:
Hynes is:

so if you can tick all of those he should get a mighty fine top up, if you tick 3 out of five, he should get a decent top up, and any less, have fun in japan testing yourself. He is an outside back, he should be on half the sallary of any front rower at the most.

You forgot to mention that he also has supermodel good looks

Noddy said:
Gagger said:
With the NRIs, gas is back and to my eye Turner is quickest out of the current Wallaby crop. Am loving Davies' pace. Can we inflate him or something?

do you not read this programs I put together? If you did, you would note that Davies and Lachie are the same weight. Except Davies is 9cm shorter, so more bulky it would seem.

ive never heard of a rugby playing boosting there stats up a bit :lmao:

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Gagger said:
With the NRIs, gas is back and to my eye Turner is quickest out of the current Wallaby crop. Am loving Davies' pace. Can we inflate him or something?

do you not read this programs I put together? If you did, you would note that Davies and Lachie are the same weight. Except Davies is 9cm shorter, so more bulky it would seem.

a) I don't believe that, but will continue to read your fine programmes Noddy

b) even if it is true, I still want him inflated up, not just out.

Having said that, if midget Shmoo can get a crack, why not Rocket Rod? I really, really want to see a speed merchant in the G&G.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think there was a problem with his pace, I think he just made the wrong decisions.

Agreed.

Not the only one making poor decisions either, two blokes earning a shit load more coin popped up on those lowlights on a few occasions.

God that was terrible to watch, not only were they poorly executed kicks but kicking away ball when the hands were on.

D

David

waratahjesus said:
Hynes is:

In those words exactly? .... Yes. :p
Seriously though I think the year before the world cup is a poor time to start cutting players top ups, or in the case of Hynes, continue not to give him one even after playing 2 years with the Wallabies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
David said:
I don't think there was a problem with his pace, I think he just made the wrong decisions.

In the first one, the decision he made was just after he realised he didn't have the pace.

D

David

Gagger said:
David said:

In the first one, the decision he made was just after he realised he didn't have the pace.

I think you'll find in that case Mills had the angle on him.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
David said:
Gagger said:
David said:

Mitchell would have scored...

S

Spook

Gagger said:
Yeah, the avatar gives you away somewhat David.

These might be what you were thinking of Gambler from the Sydney Bled last year. From 2.44 on the vid below (apologies for shit vid quality)

Someone with real gas woulda scored at least the first one.

The interesting thing about this match is that Hynes actually replaced Turner who was having a nightmare of a game (and missed tackles which cost us the match). Hynes proved he was far more evasive, reliable and had a bigger ticker than Turner. Turner has pace but is lacking in other important areas. Pace is only an asset if you mix it with some or all of the following: step, swerve, bust tackles, run decent lines and the have the courage to back yourself.

D

David

Henry said:
David said:
Gagger said:
David said:

Mitchell would have scored...

I watched the replay a couple of times, perhaps Mitchell could have made it or Turner for that matter, upon watching the replay I think Hynes could have made it had he backed himself.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Here's the frame after Hynes catches the ball

hynes-gas.jpg

He's 2m ahead of Jo (who's had to turn) and Mils is showing him the outside. Hynes makes it look hopeless because he instantly slows and doesn't back himself.

It wasn't an easy situation, but I reckon Rocket Rod or that Ngwenya guy coulda smoked it.

Spook - I accept speed merchants are rarely well rounded (Habana being an exception) but there's always a place for them. Link talks about it on the latest Ruggamatrix and admits that not being able to finish opportunities through lack of gas is a real problem.

As for Shmoo, start at 0.34.....and then see what real pace can finish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qg_jX6Aao

T

tranquility

Peter Hynes was an incredibly accomplished schoolboy track athlete and still holds the Brisbane GPS 400m record. 46.2 off the top of my head. The man is quick.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
tranquility said:
Peter Hynes was an incredibly accomplished schoolboy track athlete and still holds the Brisbane GPS 400m record. 46.2 off the top of my head. The man is quick.

I don't think Hynes is slow by rugby standards at all.

I do, however, think 400m running success far from proves your point.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Any other Qld fans going to vouch for the lightning speed that no-one else has seen in Hynes?

Seriously, it's OK to admit he's not perfect. He's solid under the ball and defence, has proven this season to have a great kick return through an eye for space and swerve, and his kick stats are solid as well. I think he's a shot for Wallaby 15, if not the defensive winger.

But he ain't no gas man compared to other international wingers

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
en_force_er said:
tranquility said:

I don't think Hynes is slow by rugby standards at all.

I do, however, think 400m running success far from proves your point.

*Digression warning* I've always thought the 400 metres is the toughest short track event at the Olympics. It's in between a sprint and an endurance race. Punishes the body.

T

tranquility

anyone on here that wants to say a champion 400m runner does not represent a 'gas' man has no idea about track at all. As a basic equation at 46 second 400m run has 100m splits of 11.5 seconds. Taking into account fatigue and this is electronic timing.

All 400m runners on a world stage are sprinters who were not able to run sub 10.1 so they developed more endurance. The 400 meter race is called a sprint and rightly so. Just to add merit to this, I think Peter may have won the GPS 100m in his year as well - however he did not break the record.

John Steffenson the current Australian and Commonwealth 400 meter champion has a PB of 44.8, and he runs the 100 in about 10.4

Peter Hynes may be a little older now, and may not have trained on a track for a few years. But rest assured, the man is quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom