• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hynes heading overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To be honest I'd love to see Hynesy run at 13 on a frequent basis. I mean he is fast (would outrun 90% of non-back 3 players) but he hasn't got jet shoes like Davies.

T

tranquility

I truly think that Peter Hynes is a percentage player. By that I mean that he generally plays the game conservatively and due to this make very few mistakes and misses very few tackles. The fact that he doesn't run around players I think is mainly due to the fact that, that option is the high risk high reward and the more conservative option is to run back into field and set up for the next play. It all depends on your coaching philosophy of back-play on which is better. I generally played as an outside back and in my formative years at high school we had a call, that was named 'electric fence' which represented the 5 meter channel on the inside of the sideline. We were to never play in this channel because it was too risky, my coach at the time was ex-wallaby Tom Barker who is one of the elite coaches in Australia at the moment and does work with QLD academy currently.

Rod Davies is without doubt the fastest man in Australian rugby. He is so quick from an atheltic stance that he could of had a future as an Australian sprinter. The only player in Australian rugby at the moment who could compete with him in the track is the ex-Force player Brett Stapleton who is now playing premier rugby on the gold coast. Brett ran times of 10.4 when he was 15 and could have been one of Australia's best ever sprinters breaking QLD and Australian records with almost no effort. The problem with his rugby career is that he never developed that commitment and made Australian schoolboy teams on potential and speed alone, he lost his contract because of attitude related issues.

The only other player in the QLD squad who would outpace Peter, is probably Luke Morahan who I believe was also a track athlete but as he was not the calibre of Rod or Brett I have no idea of his performances.

Speed aside, I would much prefer Peter in my side on the wing then Drew Mitchell or Lachie Turner. Whether you chose AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Peter would be a matter of tactics and game plan.

However I think he looks better at fullback than he does at wing, and I hope he is selected there and gets first crack at the wallaby 15 jersey.

S

Spook

tranquility said:
whether you chose AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Peter would be a matter of tactics and game plan.

If you want to win (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) or not?

T

tranquility

I personally don't like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as a winger, but also understand that he is a critical player for the team. To my way of thinking AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) only place if everyone is fit is 13, or if Hynes is injured 15. If he is not good enough for 13 (Horne, Chambers Iaone) than I would prefer him as the outside back reserve that on the wing.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
tranquility said:
Rod Davies is without doubt the fastest man in Australian rugby. He is so quick from an atheltic stance that he could of had a future as an Australian sprinter. The only player in Australian rugby at the moment who could compete with him in the track is the ex-Force player Brett Stapleton who is now playing premier rugby on the gold coast. Brett ran times of 10.4 when he was 15 and could have been one of Australia's best ever sprinters breaking QLD and Australian records with almost no effort. The problem with his rugby career is that he never developed that commitment and made Australian schoolboy teams on potential and speed alone, he lost his contract because of attitude related issues.

I went to school with Brett Stapleton in Toowoomba until he was given a scholarship by a Brisbane school. He ran a pb time of something like 10.27 at some stage which, as most would know, is reallly...reaaalllyyy fucking quick. Watching him play for our first XV though, and some other matches of his I saw, you just got the idea that he was nothing but a finisher. There was no other facet of his play that was up to scratch with pro rugby. I used to think the same of Davies until he started really impressing in the last couple of games and demonstrating more of a footballing mind. I wonder if this could have been coached into Brett at any point? He's still young and it would be interesting to see him at a higher level in Aus one day if he smartens up a bit.

T

tranquility

If I remember correctly, Brett was actually expelled from TGS for an incident in the boarding house, and subsequently there was a bidding war between three or four schools for his services on the rugby field and on the track. He ended up going to TSS on gold coast, where he made the Australian schoolboys.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Godfrey said:
tranquility said:

I went to school with Brett Stapleton in Toowoomba until he was given a scholarship by a Brisbane school. He ran a pb time of something like 10.27 at some stage which, as most would know, is reallly...reaaalllyyy fucking quick. Watching him play for our first XV though, and some other matches of his I saw, you just got the idea that he was nothing but a finisher. There was no other facet of his play that was up to scratch with pro rugby. I used to think the same of Davies until he started really impressing in the last couple of games and demonstrating more of a footballing mind. I wonder if this could have been coached into Brett at any point? He's still young and it would be interesting to see him at a higher level in Aus one day if he smartens up a bit.
Could Chavanga be a good role model for young Brett?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
did he ever play Aussie 7s? Fuck, if I were him I'd give away the 15 dream for now and look for an Olympic medal.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
tranquility said:
I truly think that Peter Hynes is a percentage player. By that I mean that he generally plays the game conservatively and due to this make very few mistakes and misses very few tackles. The fact that he doesn't run around players I think is mainly due to the fact that, that option is the high risk high reward and the more conservative option is to run back into field and set up for the next play. It all depends on your coaching philosophy of back-play on which is better. I generally played as an outside back and in my formative years at high school we had a call, that was named 'electric fence' which represented the 5 meter channel on the inside of the sideline. We were to never play in this channel because it was too risky, my coach at the time was ex-wallaby Tom Barker who is one of the elite coaches in Australia at the moment and does work with QLD academy currently.

The only other player in the QLD squad who would outpace Peter, is probably Luke Morahan who I believe was also a track athlete but as he was not the calibre of Rod or Brett I have no idea of his performances.

Speed aside, I would much prefer Peter in my side on the wing then Drew Mitchell or Lachie Turner. Whether you chose AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Peter would be a matter of tactics and game plan.

However I think he looks better at fullback than he does at wing, and I hope he is selected there and gets first crack at the wallaby 15 jersey.

Great Post.
I have never been a Hynes fan. This year he has changed my mind. He is the form 15 in the comp and has finally found his best position.
It is not all about speed at 15 look at Latham he was never a speed machine. A very elusive runner yes as is Hynes.
You would never pick Hynes at 11 or 14 there are much better options but at 15 show me a better option than Hynes this year. Don't look at what players have done in the past, ( I will only quote Giteau back to you) look at form on the board this year.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Noddy said:
did he ever play Aussie 7s? Fuck, if I were him I'd give away the 15 dream for now and look for an Olympic medal.

He did play Aussie 7s at some point. He seemed to go alright, but again mostly based on ridiculous pace.

F

feed_me

According to Foxsports, ARU has improved offer to Hynes, but doesn't sound like it's a biggy.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27019470-5002381,00.html
Reds fullback Peter Hynes, meanwhile, has received a slightly improved contract top-up from the Australian Rugby Union, but whether it is sufficient to entice him to put a crack at next year's World Cup ahead of significantly better offers from France and Japan he would not say.

"It still could go either way," said Hynes, who does not plan to respond to the ARU offer until after the Stormers game to avoid any distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.