• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hynes heading overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
OK, I accept that he could outrun me.

Do you think he's as fast as Rod Davies?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hynes doesn't have the speed anymore. Even back in his day he was never lightning. 400m runs are a sprint today, but at schoolboy 10 years ago? Not really.

He's quick, but has slowed down. Mitchell is quick, Davies is quick and Turner is quick. Of those three Mitchell is the most dangerous in my eyes because he has power and balance to match. Obviously he's not as error-free as Hynes, but as Gagger's clip shows he's more likely to run the field. That's why I have always said he should be picked. Still not convinced he would have scored that try in the Bled though. And I know who I would prefer at fullback.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Well said Nodds, although for me the Mitchell clip shows he couldn't do the length, he needed Habana (who caught him after a 10m head-start). For me Shmoo's danger comes from the line-break thorough his power and balance as you mentioned.

But then, line-breaks are no good without the pace to finish somewhere in the team.

For pure pace, my sense is that Rocket Rod shades it of the three - not that it makes him or anyone the 'best' winger, just a different option.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Noddy,

Mitchell got caught by Luke McAllister. Not a good example of electric speed.

Gagger,

There is only a few in the world with the speed you want and the ability to actually tackle as well. We are unlikely to see many in our life time play for the wallabies. The last I can remember is Tune prior to his knees falling off.

The question should be where does Hynes rank in the back three stakes? The competitors (with Wallaby experience) are AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane, Mitchell, Turner, Shepherd, JOC (James O'Connor).

I would have only AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Ioane before him, with Mitchell at the same level and the rest below. I, and most others would have him in their starting Wallaby team, and there aren't many high level backups, which should make him a reasonably high priority for the ARU.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I remember seeing Mitchell when he first got into the Wallabies squad. He was only around 19 and it was in their team hotel in London on the EOYT.

Saw him in the team gear and thought he about 16. I said to someone, surely that isn't one of the players. He said, 'yep that is Drew Mitchell'. He was pretty small at that time (and that is coming from someone that is also small).

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I remember when Drew Mitchell came on in the 2003 final. All I could think was that we should have had him on for the whole game. He is so hot and cold though, sometimes he's just so unimpactful.

D

David

Mitchell, like Hynes isn't as quick as he use to be, but like it has been said before his strength is his power and balance. With Hynes, I would back him to catch anyone in lengths over 40 meters, but being an ex 400m runner has its draw backs. Because of the very nature of the race explosive acceleration is not as important as other aspects, things like technique and fitness. Sorry I'm rambling a bit.

I definitely think a player like Habana or Davies is quicker off the mark no question, but in a game situation with a technique like theirs (quick, short steps) they are always going to be caught over longer distances by players like hynes and turner. Does anyone remember Fainifo running down Habana during a brumbies vs bulls match last year I think?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Godfrey said:
I remember when Drew Mitchell came on in the 2003 final. All I could think was that we should have had him on for the whole game. He is so hot and cold though, sometimes he's just so unimpactful.

2007 final. Agree, remember he was equal leading try scorer of the tournament at that stage too.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Of course, 2007. He seemed to have a lot of x-factor in that tournament. Who was it that was picked over him for the run-on?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i just want to ask the queensland reds fans on here that keep calling Hynes 'error free',
when it comes to the wallabies, after all this year going on about being "entertaining" in the way the reds play, are you saying hynes should be picked cos he is going to make his tackles and play error free? call my stupid but i still prefer having a back three that makes the odd mistake (i dont want them to but its the trade off) but can score from anywhere.

i like hynes, but he isnt an MVP when it comes to international duty at all.

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
let me throw this into the mix....

Perhaps Hynes knows that he has some underlying physical issues that may explode sooner or later, and he wants to guarantee his family's future, hence why he may be willing to let go of a RWC dream in order for one more fat pay day?

His running style has changed, maybe to be more gentle of his joints?!

If that be the case, go forth and sign the biggest deal you can get, I will thank you for your service and wish you all the best.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Godfrey said:
Of course, 2007. He seemed to have a lot of x-factor in that tournament. Who was it that was picked over him for the run-on?

For the Quarter-Final? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) that's who!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Henry said:
Sorry, don't really know how to embed the movies into the forum properly...

you just post the links. The forum does it for you automatically,

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
waratahjesus said:
i just want to ask the queensland reds fans on here that keep calling Hynes 'error free',
when it comes to the wallabies, after all this year going on about being "entertaining" in the way the reds play, are you saying hynes should be picked cos he is going to make his tackles and play error free? call my stupid but i still prefer having a back three that makes the odd mistake (i dont want them to but its the trade off) but can score from anywhere.

i like hynes, but he isnt an MVP when it comes to international duty at all.

I actually agree, he's a very good player and hugely solid (in a consistency sense) but he lacks the xfactor some other back 3 players have. That being said, I consider him quite valuable to the team but not someone that's irreplacable. He's definitely not low enough in the pecking order to be shunted off or left in the cold though.

Also, I think it's a bit glib to characterise the Reds play this year as only being about entertainment. The whole point is playing a dynamic, multi-faceted game that includes pushing boundaries in attack is more interesting AND more effective than boring waratah plod-about ball.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also from that video, watch AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Turner back themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom