• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hynes heading overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
David said:
waratahjesus said:
TOCC said:
What pisses me off, is that the ARU is willing to throw cash to bring Gasnier to Australia, yet allegedly they arent willing to do so for someone who is already a very good player in Australia

every player off contract from last year has complained about there top up, i wouldnt read much into it. John O'neil said early last year that player salaries would be coming down just as the salaries at ARU headquarters did. He is doing it and you have to give him credit for not caving to individuals.

that said, if Hynes doesnt rate the opportunity to play in a world cup as a major factor then we dont need him, prefer people with loyalty which seems lacking from the QLD reds over the last few years.

This is Hynes's 8th year with the Reds, 7 of those were with a struggling team, so I don't think loyalty is an issue.

yeah, but he had to stay with the reds as he probably isnt good enough to earn a starting spot in another team, thats why he is heading to japan, so he can be a big fish in a small koi pond.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Lack of fullbacks should make Hynes a priority. Mind you, I would rank him about the 12th most important Wallaby at the moment, behind props, locks, Pocock, Cooper, etc etc.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
waratahjesus said:
yeah, but he had to stay with the reds as he probably isnt good enough to earn a starting spot in another team, thats why he is heading to japan, so he can be a big fish in a small koi pond.

I know you're fishing, but Hynes was offered a contract by your very Tahs and the Brumbies before re-signing for the Reds out of, you guessed it, loyalty.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Noddy said:
waratahjesus said:

I know you're fishing, but Hynes was offered a contract by your very Tahs and the Brumbies before re-signing for the Reds out of, you guessed it, loyalty.

yeah, the guy that runs our water retired last year, hynes was probably a touch slow though. The guy doesnt score trys at international level, he is playing great for qld and the aru top up would mean he would stay but i dont see him as a ultra important wallaby going forward, i prefer a back three that are going to get trys

T

TOCC

Hynes isnt terribly fast, he is a decent speed for a winger, what he does have in his favour is a very good runing technique which allows him to change direction very quickly and with ease.

Its the reason why he makes so many yards when returning the ball from fullback, he keeps the defensive line guessing.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I reckon Robbie would love what Hynes is doing at FB at the moment. Making lots of metres on the run-back, but also in a low-risk style - usually gets himself an extra 10 metres, but falls near the feet of his own players, so they can drive over.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hynes is ultra reliable in attack and defense. You need guys like Hynes in any side, be it club, provincial or national.

A team of Coopers would be a coin flip but a team of Hynes would always go alright.

D

David

TOCC said:
Hynes isnt terribly fast, he is a decent speed for a winger, what he does have in his favour is a very good runing technique which allows him to change direction very quickly and with ease.

Its the reason why he makes so many yards when returning the ball from fullback, he keeps the defensive line guessing.

Hynes is actually very fast, has anyone here ever seen him get burnt? Do you remember against the Tahs this year Hynes had to turn and chase Turner when he received the ball 10 meters from the Reds line. He turned, chased and caught turner very quickly. I am and always have been a fan of Hynes (rose tinted glasses on), I remember seeing him back in his school boy days, he was very fast then and still fast now, the reason he doesn't look fast is because of his technique, it's fast and efficient. With that said over shorter distances there are certainly faster players in the world, but anything over 40 meters Hynes would have to be up there.

D

David

Haha, I did give a little warning about my bias. :p I have always had a soft spot for Hynes perhaps it is because we went to the same school. Regardless I thought he could have made the Wallabies earlier in any other team but was held back by the poor performing Reds.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Very dissappoiting from the ARU, especially with his super 14 form this year. But on a more positive side we all know whos going to wing the fullback jersey now. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Now we only have worry about who plays 13.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
David said:
TOCC said:

Hynes is actually very fast, has anyone here ever seen him get burnt? Do you remember against the Tahs this year Hynes had to turn and chase Turner when he received the ball 10 meters from the Reds line. He turned, chased and caught turner very quickly. I am and always have been a fan of Hynes (rose tinted glasses on), I remember seeing him back in his school boy days, he was very fast then and still fast now, the reason he doesn't look fast is because of his technique, it's fast and efficient. With that said over shorter distances there are certainly faster players in the world, but anything over 40 meters Hynes would have to be up there.

I am one of those not convinced by his pace. I recall him failing to score a try last year that I would have expected most International wingers to have finished because he didnt have the pace to stay on the outside, (or was he mowed down - I cant remember but I remember it being pretty poor). I do think he has been an excellent servant to the Reds but the ARU can only pay him what they think he is worth and if that is not enough to keep him then I wish him well wherever he goes.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Yeah, the avatar gives you away somewhat David.

These might be what you were thinking of Gambler from the Sydney Bled last year. From 2.44 on the vid below (apologies for shit vid quality)

Someone with real gas woulda scored at least the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuAxGoXehqg

With the NRIs, gas is back and to my eye Turner is quickest out of the current Wallaby crop. Am loving Davies' pace. Can we inflate him or something?

D

David

I don't think there was a problem with his pace, I think he just made the wrong decisions.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gagger said:
With the NRIs, gas is back and to my eye Turner is quickest out of the current Wallaby crop. Am loving Davies' pace. Can we inflate him or something?

do you not read this programs I put together? If you did, you would note that Davies and Lachie are the same weight. Except Davies is 9cm shorter, so more bulky it would seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.