• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Fine ARU for Haka Disrespect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
Scary.

I think the Haka's great and definitely has a place in the game but just wish the Blecks would stop being so bloody precious about it. It's a war dance and any team facing it has a right of reply...laugh at them, blow kisses, turn your back or get up in their face, seems fair enough to me.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
There is a little bit of beat up in this article, and given it is a bledisloe weekend, I don't think that is a bad thing.

The issue is that during IRB tournaments, such as the RWC and the WRWC, teams are required to sign a participation agreement, part of that agreement extends to the protocol for pre game stuff like the haka. I was talking to a guy from the organising body of 2011 and that was his take on it.

Out of interest, I brought up the 2003 match between NZ and Tonga, where the two hakas were done facing off to each other, apparently the Tongans were supposed to wait until the NZ one was finished before starting, They didn't. There was no such formalities in the agreements then, but should that happen at 2011, they would probably be fined as well.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw the Wallaroos V NZ match.

1. It was a pussy version of the Haka anyway
2. They briefly showed a POV shot from the aussies, you could hardly see the kiwis
3. They approached us during our tradition line-up while watching the haka
4. The IRB are making the kiwis their babies (how else could they get away with being so offside?)
5. ITS A BLOODY DECLARATION OF WAR!!! AS IF YOU WOULD STAND THERE AND JUST TAKE IT!!!!!!

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
I still want to see the list of appropriate responses to the Haka from the various nations.

England: Get out the bells and hankies and do a Morris Dance around a May Pole.
Scotland: Brave Heart Family Jewelry Display in Ceremonial Kilt lifting
Australia: Queanbeyan RU stlye, A couple of Utes with mattresses in the back. Barnsey's Khe Sahn blaring from the stereo while we chug a few VB's. Chainsaw optional.
Ireland: Catholics in one corner, Protestants in the other having a good old fashioned Donneybrook.

Any other suggestions?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here is something I picked up off the internet around the RWC 99. :D:Methinks it is still relevant. Perhaps should be on the Jokes forum, but probably relevant here as well.

Rugby World Cup Motivation
Seeing how the All Blacks were motivated by performing "The Haka" before their World Cup games, the other nations were asked to suggest pre-match rituals of their own.
The England team will chat about the weather, wave,hankies in the air and attach bells to their ankles for a while before moaning about how they invented the game, and gave it to the world, and how it's not fair that everyone can beat them now.

The Scotland team will chant "You lookin' at me Jimmy?" before smashing an Irn Bru bottle over their opponents heads.

The Ireland team will split into two, with the Southern half performing a Riverdance, while the Northerners march the traditional route from their dressing room to the pitch, via their opponents' dressing room.

Unfortunately the Welsh suggestion has been vetoed by the RSPCA.

Argentina will unexpectedly invade a small part of opposition territory, claim it as their own "Las In-Goals-Areas" and then be forcibly removed by the stewards.

Two members of the South African team will claim to be more important than the other thirteen whom they will coral between the posts whilst they claim the rest of the pitch for themselves.

The Americans will not be there until half time. In future years they will alter the records to show that they were in fact the most important team in the tournament and Hollywood will make a film called "Saving No8 Lyle".

Five of the Canadian team will sing La Marsaillaise and hold the rest of the side to ransom.

The Italian team will arrive in red penis-substituting cars, sexually harass the female stewards and then run away.

The Spanish will sneak into the other half of the pitch, mow it and then claim that it was all in line with the European "grass quotas". They will then curl up under the posts and have a kip until half time.

The Japanese will attempt to strengthen their team by offering good salaries to the key opposition players (over 35) and then run around the pitch at high speed in a highly efficient manner before buying the ground (with a subsidy from the UK Government).

The French will declare they have new scientific evidence that the opposition are in fact all mad. They will then park lorries across the halfway line, let sheep lose in the opposition half and burn the officials.

The Australians will have a barbie before negotiating lucrative singing and TV contracts in the UK. They will then invite their mates to come and live with them in Shepherds Bush before beating up all the women on the touchline.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tradition .....

Loved the haka on the blog front page. By the haircuts and some of the faces I reckon it was about 1976 or thereabouts.

Gee. Race relations have come a long way in Noo Zullund in the last 35 years. About all the white boys managed to coordinate back then was the leap at the end.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I will give the kiwis this: They invented the condom, by using a sheep's bladder.

The poms revolutionised the idea by removing the bladder from the sheep first.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Laughing out loud, Tah.

I'll be doing my best to disrespect the haka from my couch tonight. I will do this my taking a big swig from my can of VB* then burping loudly.

* It will look like a 330mL bottle of Czech Pilsner, but don't be fooled.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Yeah, I could well be doing the same thing with a cup of tea, or maybe even a coffee

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
It's actually the IRB trying to take the effect of the Haka - which is to deflect attention from the game ahead, of course - out of the game. It's exactly what you whinging poofs have been asking for, and yet you fail to see it. I can't believe the IRB has been so culturally insensitive as to step in - it actually reeks of sexism. Can't they let the girls stand up for themselves?

If I had my way, the Haka would be something you only saw when the AB's played in NZ. But every other time they've stopped doing it, the masses have moaned.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's actually the IRB trying to take the effect of the Haka - which is to deflect attention from the game ahead, of course - out of the game. It's exactly what you whinging poofs have been asking for, and yet you fail to see it.

1. I really doubt it's that at all to be honest.
2. Poofs, really?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Not entirely sure what your thesis is, Scorzy. Something about women and/or poofs.

Is this is a reverse conspiracy theory? That the iRB are trying to take the Haka out of the game, by setting down a rule that says you must stand still while it is being performed? And that would be ... um, let's see, because the Haka helps New Zealand to win and they don't want New Zealand to win?

If I have a couple more beers I'm sure this will start to make sense to me.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What a load of crap.

Kiwis, you can do what you like on your side of the pitch and we'll do what we like on ours. If you want to do your dance, go ahead. We'll react as we see fit.

The IRB has got the whole thing so wrong.

BTW - I find those sorts of things either amusing or motivational when I see them (certainly not intimidating). I don't think it gives one team or other an advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.