• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Just going to say that it's dissapointing when more than half the ISA rep side is made up of one or two teams in a two division competition. There is talent in the 2nd division comp too but they get over-looked. It's not our fault we got enrolled in that particular school (and in my case I played one year of div 1 and got dropped down to div 2 the next year), so why over look us?

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
What you say is logical Lee, but it does not take into account that in the NSW trials very few if any ISA II's boys are ever selected for higher honours.
It would be galling to think that your chances of being selected in the NSW squad have virtually disappeared due to you not going to "X" School, despite being arguably the best in your position.
Personally I believe that team combinations are less important than matching styles. All the Schoolboy teams run the same moves or close derivations.

EXACTLY!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't someone from that rugby powerhouse Chevalier College make it to NSW1 a year or two back? Halfback I think he was, IIRC.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Personally I believe that team combinations are less important than matching styles.

That is a great point, but not knowing the ISA school teams because I don't get to see them play until the Waratah Shield (I watch GPS on Saturdays) I can't comment on the particulars of the matter. I just have to be general.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Does anybody know how Chev did against Marist Canberra on the weekend of the 24/3/12? It was played at Bowral I think.
I know this was a while ago but, from what I know it was close to their full strength side with two players out. I played in that game and the we (chev) played really well! it was 0-0 until the scoring opened in the last play of thye first half by Marist and from then on our boys screwed up some really good opportunities from bad passes etc. Marist were a well drilled and structured side and it was a good game to play

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It was very controversial that he was picked, along with another 6 or so other ISA kids. A lot of GPS & CAS supporters were hoping they would be trounced at the Oz champs, and they thought they were vindicated when NSW II's made the final with the I's missing out.
Any idea where he is playing these days?

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree with these remarks and if School X is indeed the premier school in a particular year it is fair enough to have the team that has mainly the X players in it to be the Ones and the other side, the Twos.

Feel compelled to disagree with you on this Lee.

Let's talk facts and not hypotheticals for a moment. This thread is about ISA and 'School X' in this case is St Augustines. A school that has produced rugby teams of exceptional quality over the past 4 years or so.

The ISA competition consists of 8 schools playing in the Division 1 comp and another 8 schools playing in the Division 2 comp - potentially 240 1st XV players vying for selection in an ISA squad of 38. This year the selectors chose 18 St Augustines players in that squad - 3 St Augustines 2nd XV players were preferred to their 1st XV counterparts from other schools - how they got to trial in the first place is beyond me, but......

Last week the ISA 1st XV was revealed. 13 players from St Augustines are in the team. A forward from Stannies and a back from St Gregs make up the 15 man team. This team is not 'representative' of the ISA.

The ISA teams have only 2 opportunities to impress NSW selectors. They don't play 4 games like CHS or 3 games like CAS - they play 2 matches and neither of these games is against GPS. Indeed, the 2nds play CCC in their first match. Last weekend, CCC were well beaten by CHS, who in turn were well beaten by CAS through the week. So, in reality, an ISA 2nds player has 1 game against CAS 2nds to press his claim for higher rep honours - can't see it happening for any of the kids in the ISA IIs Lee.

Your assertion above, as it relates to the situation within ISA this year, is flawed. 13 players in the premier association team from the one school is not fair representation of the talent that exists across the 16 schools who make up the ISA.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
It was very controversial that he was picked, along with another 6 or so other ISA kids. A lot of GPS & CAS supporters were hoping they would be trounced at the Oz champs, and they thought they were vindicated when NSW II's made the final with the I's missing out.
see thats wrong! Get over it. Shock horror! Someone not from a GPS school made it! 1 player! Thats just bad sportsmanship and no humility been shown here. I would hope that if I ever got the chance of making it into that level of rep rugby, that I wouldn't have to deal with stuff like that. It's not Super Rugby people.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Crofty, it's not fair because they had too many selected is not an argument.
Make an argument for why x or y should have been selected by all means.
There were many line ball decisions for the ISA I's, those that were line ball are not in contention for state jumpers in any event. Regardless of which ISA team they run out for.

The Door

Frank Row (1)
There was originally meant to be 12 Augustines in the 1's but one of the St Gregs backs didnt turn up, also i may be worng her but i believe that both non augustines players in the 1's are forwards? a 4 and a 6?

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hey Door where can we see the ISA teams written out this is the second time I have asked is it only for priveliged too see ? Stannies forward is No 5 I was told plays 8 for Stannies Where is the opportunity for ISA 2nds player to get to show he is worthy for NSW I was told Oakhill has a huge lock in ISA seconds sounds to me like Oakhill got duded with no players in 1st ISA

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
ISA selectors looking to impress NSW selectors to get a larger share of NSW jerseys with good combinations bad luck Oakhill. I personally know CAS heads word is GPS & CAS hate Augustines. The only way Auggies can prove they deserve more Aussie jerseys is to beat top NZ teams nobody else is interested in getting flogged by Auggies

Status
Not open for further replies.