• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why is it when any side plays against St Augustines they have players missing... it is uncanny.....

I suspect that Auggies has some SG Ball players who didn't play either as Manly doing very well in that comp for a change and played that weekend.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is it correct that Stannies are about to head to Japan to rep Aus Schools in the Sanix tournament? If so, looks like it could be lean trip for the boys from Bathurst based on their 3 trial losses so far.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Is it correct that Stannies are about to head to Japan to rep Aus Schools in the Sanix tournament? If so, looks like it could be lean trip for the boys from Bathurst based on their 3 trial losses so far.
Yes, Stannies is the Australian team in Sanix Tournament this year.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks RT - appreciate you answering my couple of questions re Stannies.
No worries, Crofty. Probably a bit early to gauge the packing order for ISA Div1 this year. Auggies is touring NZ and taking on some real heavies like Christchurch High whereas Oakhill are in Argentina -- be really interesting to hear how they go with their set pieces over there, especially their backups. I guess after trials during next term where Auggies vs Waverley, Oakhill vs Knox, Joeys, Shore and Kinross vs Newington we will have a better view of how things may pan out this year.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
OK so here we go... back into trials and end of the tours for holidays.... wha's happening out there in terms of trials and how are the teams shaping up for the season.

Also bee keen to start trying to knock together an ISA First XV and SecondXV from early season form....

T

--T_C--

OK so here we go... back into trials and end of the tours for holidays.... wha's happening out there in terms of trials and how are the teams shaping up for the season.

Also bee keen to start trying to knock together an ISA First XV and SecondXV from early season form....

St Andrew's have a trial today v Redlands at St Andrew's Oval, Sydney Uni. 16's at 2.00pm and 1XV at 3.15pm. Players to keep an eye out for are the new comers Zayde Alvarado and Fred Fiala-Motu. Zayde coming from Marrickville Sports High and Fred from Waverly. 'The Tongan Tank' Filia Talanoa is still in the mix as well. Stuart Takau (No. 2) is the younger brother to Edmund Takau (No. 12 of Season 2011) so it'll be interesting to see what Stu has to offer this Season. Cal McGrath No. 10/15 came from Joeys and he's back for another season after a few injuries in 2011. Ben Milross (No. 13) is a new comer too.

J

Jaez

Oakhill 34 Knox 26. Also heard Trinty just beat St Pats

Yeah trinity got over in the last minute to win 17-15. Pats were unlucky, the 10 scored a great try in the 70th minute to put them up 15-10. Trinity look a bit unstructured compared to last year.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oakhill 34 Knox 26. Also heard Trinty just beat St Pats
Thought Oakhill looked pretty strong and cohesive in yesterday's victory over Knox. At times they were too keen to throw the 'miracle ball' rather than taking the tackle, or keen to go wide in early phases before getting the defence backpeddling through pick & goes - but this may have have been a hangover from their recent Sth American tour where they had 3 relatively easy victories. However, the forwards performed strongly with Linaker at 4, Blacklock at 2, Bourke at 6 and captain Tuckwell at 7 all looking the goods. The backs showed some glimpses of form - a bit rusty in patches but they put on a few nice tries - Cotton at fullback had a good running game and Gonzalez at halfback played to his normal high standard. A bit to work on but building nicely for Joeys in 2 weeks.

Anybody got a result from Auggies v Waverly?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Augs beat Waverley 5 or 6 tries to 1. 2nd half disrupted and shortened due to injury.
I got the feeling Waverley thought they got off light,could have easily been a big number.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Augs beat Waverley 5 or 6 tries to 1. 2nd half disrupted and shortened due to injury.
I got the feeling Waverley thought they got off light,could have easily been a big number.

But surely Waverley were missing more than half their team who were playing SG Ball or Harold Matthews etc.... this seems to be the standard line whenever a non ISA side loses to Augustines or any other ISA side - seems that perhaps the gap is getting smaller with CAS and ISA and in some instances has been breached..

Interested to read the match report when one comes available...

All good for rugby though to see more schools challenging the tried and true.

I think one member of the forum will be keeping his tonka truck and xbox close by given Augs are playing Scots in a few weeks....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
yeah will be an interesting trial. I understand that Scots have the incumbent 10 & 12 Oz Schoolboys? That was one area where Augs dominated yesterday ( off beautiful, clean front foot ball all day)

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)

Having watched a couple of trials and heard other reports it would appear the dominant players in their positions over the past 2 seasons of opens and 16's are back and in form. I'll nominate the following players based on previous playing form, ISA selection and other rep duties;

1.O'Connor (Augustines)
2.Holden (Oakhill)
3.Talanoa (Andrews)
4.Linaker (Oakhill)
5.Phillip (Augustines)
6.Lloyd (Augustines)
7.Tuckwell (Oakhill)
8.Goddard (Oakhill)
9.Natoli (Augustines)
12.Woodward (Oakhill)
13.Canning (Oakhill)

I think Lloyd is doing pathways and is available. Others to consider would be Markus (Pats), Kinross 5/8, Staples(Pius), Cotton (Oakhill). Players like Wolfgram, Vescio and Hopoate also in contention if rumours of suspension are false.

Yes, I know the selections are Augustines and Oakhill heavy but these teams/players have been the dominant ones throughout this age bracket and consistently deliver against ISA, CAS and GPS opposition. Two years ago ISA selected a similar team with only 3 players outside of Oakhill and Augustines who demoralised CHS and were beaten by a last play try against CAS. It also meant a healthy representation within the NSW teams (12?) and further selections into the Australian side (3 or 4). Last year they chose an all sorts team and were flogged by CHS and weren't much better against CAS. Nett result was only 3 NSW selections and Domkins selected but unable to play for Australia.

The score in these games is not of importance. It's about giving the best players from the association the best chance to represent all the ISA players at the highest levels by selecting the best in the position and best combinations. You can have a great backline but if a dud halfback gives you crap ball all day you won't be able to show your ability. Most of these guys played together already with the Sydney side last year and would be a good chance of bringing ISA representation back to where it belongs.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
A
Having watched a couple of trials and heard other reports it would appear the dominant players in their positions over the past 2 seasons of opens and 16's are back and in form. I'll nominate the following players based on previous playing form, ISA selection and other rep duties;

1.O'Connor (Augustines)
2.Holden (Oakhill)
3.Talanoa (Andrews)
4.Linaker (Oakhill)
5.Phillip (Augustines)
6.Lloyd (Augustines)
7.Tuckwell (Oakhill)
8.Goddard (Oakhill)
9.Natoli (Augustines)
12.Woodward (Oakhill)
13.Canning (Oakhill)

I think Lloyd is doing pathways and is available. Others to consider would be Markus (Pats), Kinross 5/8, Staples(Pius), Cotton (Oakhill). Players like Wolfgram, Vescio and Hopoate also in contention if rumours of suspension are false.

Yes, I know the selections are Augustines and Oakhill heavy but these teams/players have been the dominant ones throughout this age bracket and consistently deliver against ISA, CAS and GPS opposition. Two years ago ISA selected a similar team with only 3 players outside of Oakhill and Augustines who demoralised CHS and were beaten by a last play try against CAS. It also meant a healthy representation within the NSW teams (12?) and further selections into the Australian side (3 or 4). Last year they chose an all sorts team and were flogged by CHS and weren't much better against CAS. Nett result was only 3 NSW selections and Domkins selected but unable to play for Australia.

The score in these games is not of importance. It's about giving the best players from the association the best chance to represent all the ISA players at the highest levels by selecting the best in the position and best combinations. You can have a great backline but if a dud halfback gives you crap ball all day you won't be able to show your ability. Most of these guys played together already with the Sydney side last year and would be a good chance of bringing ISA representation back to where it belongs.

Agree. Would be interesting to see who Augustines have in the backs as Canning could play wing as effectively. Greg's had a outside back from last year who was elusive, left wing I think, who could benefit from the platform that this pack can lay. Would like to see them take on Dempsey, Rorke and the other GPS boys but they don't go head to head unfortunately. This is a quality crop of ISA players this year. A good No 10 may be the key ingredient, but can't think of anyone who owns it like these boys do right now, there's no standout at this time. If Lloyd isn't available it probably is between the Stannies, Auggies and Oakhill No6 on previous form.

J

JC Rugby101

1.O'Connor (Augustines)
2.Holden (Oakhill)
3.Talanoa (Andrews)
4.Linaker (Oakhill)
5.Phillip (Augustines)
6.Lloyd (Augustines)
7.Tuckwell (Oakhill)
8.Goddard (Oakhill)
9.Natoli (Augustines)
12.Woodward (Oakhill)
13.Canning (Oakhill)

A

Agree. Would be interesting to see who Augustines have in the backs as Canning could play wing as effectively. Greg's had a outside back from last year who was elusive, left wing I think, who could benefit from the platform that this pack can lay. Would like to see them take on Dempsey, Rorke and the other GPS boys but they don't go head to head unfortunately. This is a quality crop of ISA players this year. A good No 10 may be the key ingredient, but can't think of anyone who owns it like these boys do right now, there's no standout at this time. If Lloyd isn't available it probably is between the Stannies, Auggies and Oakhill No6 on previous form.
A

Neutral observer at the Trinity v St Pats match last Saturday. Great match and atmosphere with St Pats scoring 3 tries to 2, but losing 17-15 with the last play of the match. Just stating out there that a few St Pats boys may run there Oakhill counterparts very close for an ISA position. I look forward to when the 2 centers Peter seman and JP bouelham play te Oakhill centers. Also Jeff markus the no 10. In the forwards the very sharp no.7 Josh Toweel, who scored a sensational try v Trinity, beating a couple and driving 3 over early in te match
. Throw in fullback Goss and aggresive second rower Conner and you have a great match up coming.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Isn't it great to hear Pat's came so close to Trinity ? The Auggies & Oakhill wins so far is probably expected but maybe they are not going to have it all their own way. Kinross is the other dark horse. They had a good trip to Canberra beating Daramallan1stXV & Canberra Grammar 1stXV. Next week they got Newington which will tell us more about them. The downside for them this year will be having to play in Sydney for both the Auggies & Oakhill fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.