• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heally

Frank Nicholson (4)
It will be an interesting match Oakhill v Pats this weekend. I did watch the corresponding game last year at Pats and I thought Pats were outclassed that day.. BUT .. a year can make a bit of difference I suppose. In regards to the 12,13,7 and 8 from Oakhill, they were all in last years side and all have their own strengths .. I am not sure why they have been singled out as I am reliably informed there are many other standouts at the moment.

Nice comment No.9 .... I think any player selected in an ISA or any other rep team earns their spot for a number of reasons and playing agame to prove selections is not a great strategy to actually win the game.

RT in terms of the 3... maybe a good idea... I do read he slotted 9/10 last week from out wide and this may assist in putting points on the board... have not heard about St.Pats kicking ability but I am sure it is noteworthy as well.

Glad to be back on topic ;)

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
i'm aiming to go down & watch the match. seeing Oakhill have approx.9-10 ISA reps v St pats nil ISA reps, want to see if Oakhill are that much better. esp 12, 13, 7 & 8. based on the ISA selections, Oakhill by a mile. anything else just embarrassing. just got told St pats actually have 1 ISA rep, but he is actually a 2nd XV player that plays up when others injured.???

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
JC there are two ISA players from Pats - Numbers 2 and 3. I saw both of these players receive jerseys form Nick Farr-Jones last Friday night and they were definately first XV players.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
:D Anyone else going to the Stannies Vs Kinross match I think it will be the match of the day? Bet Kinross use the same tactics in 15As 16As and 1s opens, as they have before, mall the ball across to their right side of the field continually until the tight 5 have it, set up the back line with 14-6-13-8-12-7-10-9 then get it out fast to their winger if he is not marked, and Stannies do that (don't ask me why), or put it in the hands of their No8 (the best) and tear towards the smallest man hoping to run over him. Got to hand it to Kinross their backline can pass the ball well. Main thing holding back Kinross in the past was they started to run out of big men as the season wore on, wereas Stannies have 110kg players coming up from their lower ranks, but need more fitness.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
It will be an interesting match Oakhill v Pats this weekend. ......
RT in terms of the 3... maybe a good idea... I do read he slotted 9/10 last week from out wide and this may assist in putting points on the board... have not heard about St.Pats kicking ability but I am sure it is noteworthy as well.

Glad to be back on topic ;)
Heally, I am glad you agree with me on 'take the points'. I understand all that stuff about schoolboys should be playing 15 man rugby etc. But if you look at how close it will be for the 4 teams behind Auggies plus the S15 style of bonus points, you be crazy not to tell your captain to take deep breath before opting for the kick & lineout at the corner everytime you get a penalty within range. Thats all I was saying.
Crofty, not sure you recall when your crowd played Joeys, how many kickable penalties were awarded to you in the first 20 mins ? I remember saying to the guy standing next to me, Oakhill could have been 30-0 up instead of 10-0 up :) Sorry to rub it in ....

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Heally, I am glad you agree with me on 'take the points'. I understand all that stuff about schoolboys should be playing 15 man rugby etc. But if you look at how close it will be for the 4 teams behind Auggies plus the S15 style of bonus points, you be crazy not to tell your captain to take deep breath before opting for the kick & lineout at the corner everytime you get a penalty within range. Thats all I was saying.
Crofty, not sure you recall when your crowd played Joeys, how many kickable penalties were awarded to you in the first 20 mins ? I remember saying to the guy standing next to me, Oakhill could have been 30-0 up instead of 10-0 up :)Sorry to rub it in ....

Tears,
Believe it or not the Joeys game was about setting some team benchmarks to get feedback on areas that were seen to be in need of attention. While a win against them would have been fantastic it was more important to discover things from within, which was accomplished and have improved in the ensuing weeks. Saturdays game is about competition points and not experimenting so i'm confident you'll see a different approach to how the score is accumulated while still endeavouring to play attacking rugby across the park. The best test of whether the lessons learned will come to fruition on July 21st but due respect will be paid to all opponents in the meantime.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
Who's playing where this weekend, most importantly to me, where are Greg's playing and against who? Hoping its at the College as I'll be at my brother's place in Camden on Sat and would definitely pop along if they are.

Gregs playing Andrews at home. 1sts kick off @ normal time - 3.15

Gregs should win comfortably but could be close game if Andrews can hold on to the ball in attack for more than one or two phases.

Fantastic venue at Gregs.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The seating is a nice addition since my time at the school. They're looking for approval to renovate or rebuild the current change rooms from what the Headmaster was telling me. May even include a second seated area on that side of the pitch. What I found most pleasing is the fact that they now fit out MCS 1 (the main field) with the proper Rugby marking. What are Andrews pack like as that's where Greg's are typically deficient. Give their backline and loose forwards any room and they could potentially pile on the points.

I'll definitely be making my way over and likely will be for at least the next 6 or so years. My kid brother will be attending and hopefully playing Rugby at the school from next year.

J

JC Rugby101

JC there are two ISA players from Pats - Numbers 2 and 3. I saw both of these players receive jerseys form Nick Farr-Jones last Friday night and they were definately first XV players.

my bad guys, obviously being at univ not helping me out! thought i was just primarily stating facts of ISA representation & you guys giving me too much credit. my cus in Pats 2nd Xv has been slapped about for the poor info. when i watched Trinity v Pats the prop was in 2nd XV, prop in 1sts now out injured & Phillip now back in 1sts. Good powerful player too. previous item on thread only had him in ISA, good to see now 2 players. Hooker is a goer..Edwards? The player no.'s i mentioned 12, 13, 7 & 8 were actually the Pat players i'm looking forward to watching v Oakhill as they have been awesome each time I have watched. No disrespect intended to oakhill players, like i said, its the Pat players i want to see how they go against strong opposition. These players were strong v Auggies & as i mentioned previously Auggies are the best team I have seen in the State & i have seen a few. now back to learning communication skills!

M

mr rugby

JC I assume you didn't see View play Pats?
I heard it was a try fest by View?

I was at the game and yes View were totally destructive but I was told that Pats were very heavily struck by injuries, especially in the backline, many of whom returned for the Augs game.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
The seating is a nice addition since my time at the school. They're looking for approval to renovate or rebuild the current change rooms from what the Headmaster was telling me. May even include a second seated area on that side of the pitch. What I found most pleasing is the fact that they now fit out MCS 1 (the main field) with the proper Rugby marking. What are Andrews pack like as that's where Greg's are typically deficient. Give their backline and loose forwards any room and they could potentially pile on the points.

I'll definitely be making my way over and likely will be for at least the next 6 or so years. My kid brother will be attending and hopefully playing Rugby at the school from next year.
Yes, the old changing rooms do need a touch up .... must have been there even before Ivan Henjak was at St Gregs :) Back to more important matters -- Andrews does have a massive pack, not exactly mobile but most likely going to just pick drive all afternoon. But if Gregs can get some decent ball to their backs, Andrews defence will be high & dry. Just my opinion after watching them play last week.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yes, the old changing rooms do need a touch up .... must have been there even before Ivan Henjak was at St Gregs :) Back to more important matters -- Andrews does have a massive pack, not exactly mobile but most likely going to just pick drive all afternoon. But if Gregs can get some decent ball to their backs, Andrews defence will be high & dry. Just my opinion after watching them play last week.

If they're smart they'll keep it tight. They'll have to be careful not to have any lapse in concentration in defence which you seem to allude to isn't spectacular as the Greg's backline like to attack from anywhere and that includes their own tryline.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
:) I don't think Kinross have the depth of players, Kinross 4ths were well beaten by Stannies 5ths on 5th May. That accounts for some variation in performance and how pre comp games are used only to test teams weakness or strengths. Anyone know the Kinross lineup, its about the only one that has been missing? Post you on it Saturday/Sunday. I think it will be closer than Stannies think !

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
If they're smart they'll keep it tight. They'll have to be careful not to have any lapse in concentration in defence which you seem to allude to isn't spectacular as the Greg's backline like to attack from anywhere and that includes their own tryline.
W-C-R, thats exactly what I was implying. Defence pattern lapses is one thing but some of the tackling technique was pretty poor when they played Oakhill last week as indicated by the 10 tries drubbing. But to be fair, the game was out of their reach by the 25th min so maybe if they are in the hunt, things maybe different this week at C'town. Be very interested to hear your views on the game next week. I sense this game has significance to the future of rugby at both schools.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Kinross 7 Stannies 7 draw on a wet day. Stannies fullback missed a couple of attempts at penalty goal early, one from right in front

The Door

Frank Row (1)
St Andrews defeated Greg's 29-24 but the game wasn't that close. Great tight stuff from Andrews with no.3 Talanoa having an outstanding game aswell as No.1 and 8 from Andrews. In the backs for Andrews no.9 and 15 had good games aswell. Huge improvement over last week

Status
Not open for further replies.