• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Aus Schools second rower Tom Staniforth from all reports has joined Royals.

Interesting choice if it eventuates FTS. Not sure what Royals could offer financially/developmentally Vikings, or over Easts given most Grammar boys are apparently heading there from a winning 1st XV.

In any case, I'm glad he's been able to train with the Brumbies and will be playing locally instead of Sydney.

canberra2011

Peter Burge (5)
Was watching Brumbies training and there were a few fresh faces running around with the squad.
Any idea who these players are? I havent seen them playing in the John I Dent before?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was watching Brumbies training and there were a few fresh faces running around with the squad.
Any idea who these players are? I havent seen them playing in the John I Dent before?

I know they have got a few new guys from South Africa, one from NZ and I think maybe one from qld - also you prob have the John I Dent fringe players EPS players there.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting choice if it eventuates FTS. Not sure what Royals could offer financially/developmentally Vikings, or over Easts given most Grammar boys are apparently heading there from a winning 1st XV.

In any case, I'm glad he's been able to train with the Brumbies and will be playing locally instead of Sydney.

Agree it is great to have him in the local comp. His older brother played first grade at Royals a few years ago didn't he? Also maybe more opportunity to play regular first grade at Royals, as well as being coached by Craig Lesburg and Russell Ingram who have had a bit to do with him and junior rep level, all just my theories. I have also heard there could be a few more Grammar 1st XV boys that could follow him there, guess we will have to wait until pre season is in flight to find out.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think Craig Leseberg won't be coaching at Royals since he's the competitions manager or similar role at ACTRU level.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Russel Ingram will be Royals full-time 1st grade coach this year with Craig moving on.

I think you'll find alot of the Grammar 1st XV players will spread between the teams more-so than them all going to the same team - considering their success last year there will be more interested to getting these players.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think you'll find alot of the Grammar 1st XV players will spread between the teams more-so than them all going to the same team - considering their success last year there will be more interested to getting these players.

From what I understand, 12 players from this 1st XV had agreed to join Easts. In any case, former Grammar 1st XV coach John Jenkins is coaching colts, and Easts will have quite a few Grammar players returning this year. Keep an eye on one Angus Balmaks. Very impressive player who has bounced back strongly from a bad ankle injury.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
From what I understand, 12 players from this 1st XV had agreed to join Easts. In any case, former Grammar 1st XV coach John Jenkins is coaching colts, and Easts will have quite a few Grammar players returning this year. Keep an eye on one Angus Balmaks. Very impressive player who has bounced back strongly from a bad ankle injury.

Empire - PM me or e-mail me, may have some useful info for you.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
With the inclusion of the Grammar players Easts could really see a rise over the next 2-3 years...Eddies arnt anywhere near the powerhouse they used to be so Vikings/Qbn wont have a great selection from here, Marist are always somewhat strong so Royals/Vikings will still have a good pick - but if Easts can really strengthen the connection between Grammar and Easts then they could see some really fantastic players coming through into 1st Grade - Easts really need to focus on building this connection and also giving the players something to draw them into playing for them....

Vikings will always have the option to pick players from over-seas/interstate, Royals will always have Marist - but I believe considering the weakening of Eddies rugby Qbn could go into a dark patch in the coming few years...I know they have a good connection to the islander population but you really need that steady flow of great ex schoolboy 1st XV players...Which to be honest Eddies hasnt seen I feel since the Saia, Anthony, Colby, Lala Lam, Jack lam, Dan Penca etc few years of 2003-2006-2007-2008.....

We will see what happens though...I think this year it will be much the same as last year though - I do think Easts will be stronger and will win a few games....but not sure if they could get off the bottom 1-2 teams this year just yet...

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Empire - PM me or e-mail me, may have some useful info for you.

Hey Glen (I seem to be replying to all your posts LOL)

Question - How much do the coaches from the Shute Shield look at players from the John I Dent Cup? and to a further degree and you may not know this...the coaches from the Super Rugby? Always been interested in how much coaches from Shute/Super really look at the John I Dent comp - besides the Brumbies..

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
Hey Glen (I seem to be replying to all your posts LOL)

Question - How much do the coaches from the Shute Shield look at players from the John I Dent Cup? and to a further degree and you may not know this.the coaches from the Super Rugby? Always been interested in how much coaches from Shute/Super really look at the John I Dent
comp - besides the Brumbies..

Not as much as they should to be honest. It seems for a player to come from Canberra to Sydney they have to have someone pushing their cause or be part of the known "pathway" - failing that players do it off their own backs. I was very surprised when I first made the move at the general lack of knowledge around who's who in the Canberra comp. A real shame because it's a quality comp. In terms of Super Rugby it is minimal, Coaches are very reluctant to take a punt on any player from outside the Pathway (both Sydney and Canberra to a degree), this is a disaster as they are missing some genuinely good players.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not as much as they should to be honest. It seems for a player to come from Canberra to Sydney they have to have someone pushing their cause or be part of the known "pathway" - failing that players do it off their own backs. I was very surprised when I first made the move at the general lack of knowledge around who's who in the Canberra comp. A real shame because it's a quality comp. In terms of Super Rugby it is minimal, Coaches are very reluctant to take a punt on any player from outside the Pathway (both Sydney and Canberra to a degree), this is a disaster as they are missing some genuinely good players.

Your answer does not really surprise me and pretty much what I thought - which it very sad to hear as there is a number of fantastic players that play in Canberra, that have grown up in Canberra and dont want to move to be seen...I know a player should always do what needs to be done to be seen but moving interstate - you shouldnt think a player needs to do that when the Canberra comp realistically is the 3rd main comp in Aus...
I have very strong view on the development system within Aus - or lack there of - but for shute shield teams not to really look into the ACT comp and for super rugby teams to not even bother is just crazy! So it is easier for them to look at South Africa and New Zealand before looking in their own backyard? There is a handful of players that I have played with over the years through school that now play for Qbn, Vikings, Royals that I feel should of made the step up to at LEAST Shute Shield - but were never given the chance.
I know money could be an issue but maybe teams like Para/Penrith etc can look at the Canberra comp and pretty much take their pick of who they want...
Its sad to aus rugby falling short again in seeing talent and being able to develop it....
Cheers for the honest reply Glen.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
Your answer does not really surprise me and pretty much what I thought - which it very sad to hear as there is a number of fantastic players that play in Canberra, that have grown up in Canberra and dont want to move to be seen.I know a player should always do what needs to be done to be seen but moving interstate - you shouldnt think a player needs to do that when the Canberra comp realistically is the 3rd main comp in Aus.
I have very strong view on the development system within Aus - or lack there of - but for shute shield teams not to really look into the ACT comp and for super rugby teams to not even bother is just crazy! So it is easier for them to look at South Africa and New Zealand before looking in their own backyard? There is a handful of players that I have played with over the years through school that now play for Qbn, Vikings, Royals that I feel should of made the step up to at LEAST Shute Shield - but were never given the chance.
I know money could be an issue but maybe teams like Para/Penrith etc can look at the Canberra comp and pretty much take their pick of who they want.
Its sad to aus rugby falling short again in seeing talent and being able to develop it..
Cheers for the honest reply Glen.

Parra have lead the way with up to 6 or 7 boys from out of Canberra, I think for one game early last season we got up to 5 Canberra boys on the field at once - they all more than held their own.

Don't get me started on development and pathways in Australian rugby - they are simply ignoring talent and missing entire areas (but that's a whole other rant). I will give one example - the National 7s team is full of promising players but in many cases have hardly even played 7s prior to National selection. Last years Kiama tournament was a great day and Parra were the only Australian team to get past the quarter finals (losing narrowly in a cracking final). There was absolutely no one there from the ARU Sevens program watching or selecting, further more no follow up phone call from anyone to ask who went well etc - pretty well sums it up.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Parra have lead the way with up to 6 or 7 boys from out of Canberra, I think for one game early last season we got up to 5 Canberra boys on the field at once - they all more than held their own.

Don't get me started on development and pathways in Australian rugby - they are simply ignoring talent and missing entire areas (but that's a whole other rant). I will give one example - the National 7s team is full of promising players but in many cases have hardly even played 7s prior to National selection. Last years Kiama tournament was a great day and Parra were the only Australian team to get past the quarter finals (losing narrowly in a cracking final). There was absolutely no one there from the ARU Sevens program watching or selecting, further more no follow up phone call from anyone to ask who went well etc - pretty well sums it up.

The powers that be having their tunnel vision obscured by their own butt cheeks....say it ain't so:confused:

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Could not agree more mate - I have said for a number of years that its like Aus rugby never really fully went into the professional era - they have always relied on naturally talented players but it comes a point where natural talent can only take a player so far and there needs to be development of taking a good player and making him great - through proper on field coaching, proper coaching in the gym, mental attitude etc etc etc....

But it seems they are not only ignoring that side of things but also simply not looking for talented players...

This is why I think in 5-10 years we could really see Aus struggling to get into the top 5 teams in the world...if it keeps going the way it is we could def see this....

It goes right from the top (Wallabies) to right the way down the the lack of or none nonexistent development at grass roots level...

Prime example and one I have used before in other discussion Kurtley Beale - Prob the best young rugby player Aus had nearly ever seen coming up through the ranks in school/1st XV...def the best No.10 I feel we have ever seen at schoolboy level ever...and when he reaches Super Rugby level - has acouple games at 10 and then they move him to 15...yes he is a great 15 but he could of been the best or one of the best No.10's Aus has ever seen, and currently prob could of been the best no.10 in the world...but because they have chopped and changed him around he has never been great at any position at a international level..and this goes for a number of Wallabies players...even at the Wallabies level the lack of development or the lack of focus on getting a player to the top of their game is nonexistent...

Status
Not open for further replies.